Windows 10: Windows update cleanup - why is it taking so long?

Discus and support Windows update cleanup - why is it taking so long? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My hard drive space is low right now due to a project, so I decided to gain a bit back by deleting old windows update files. So I went into disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rivre, Feb 15, 2019.

1. rivre Win User

Windows update cleanup - why is it taking so long?

My hard drive space is low right now due to a project, so I decided to gain a bit back by deleting old windows update files. So I went into disk cleanup and selected clean update files, and it's been doing this slowly for over 90 minutes already. It said there was about 30GB of update files to clean. Why is it taking this long? At this rate it will take all day - the free space is climbing slightly higher every 15 minutes or so. Of course the progress bar is telling me nothing useful as usual.

Edit: Never mind, it finally completed.

:)

rivre, Feb 15, 2019
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

geforce experience takes an age to load..

Well that's why I asked. Mine is on SSD and takes 11 seconds. Your list of games will not appear if it has not checkd for updated suggested settings for awhile until it checks.

When it says it is refreshing the game list, it is checking, because NVIDIA periodically updates suggested settings. Plus it will look for those for new games you have installed.

So, the less it is run, the slower it will be.

rtwjunkie, Feb 15, 2019
  3. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 15, 2019
  4. BobInOhio Win User

Windows Update Cleanup taking forever

I am trying to remove temporary files from my computer in the hope that I can increase the speed of my computer. I chose several categories of files to remove (Thumbnails, Temporary Files, etc.). I also chose "Windows Update Cleanup". This particular
    category is taking a very long time to delete. The progress bar has been stuck in the same place for about an hour now. It has not moved at all. Is it normal for this category to take so long to delete?

BobInOhio, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows update cleanup - why is it taking so long? - Similar Threads - update cleanup why

2. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  3. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  4. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Update Cleanup in Windows Disk Cleanup takes a long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Update Cleanup in Windows Disk Cleanup takes a long time: Last time, it was taken 1 hour to cleanup Windows Update in Windows Disk Cleanup, what is best alternative to cleanup Windows Update in Windows Disk Cleanup? I am using Windows 10 version 1809 Enterprise LTSC 182697
  6. Why does windows update take so long?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why does windows update take so long?: I have a Desktop computer, and on its Hard Drives, I have 3 Operating Sytems, 2 of them are Linux-based and Windows 10 is the third. Today I was on Windows to do a ZOOM meeting, and because Windows is not my daily OS, I went to shut windows and it said it had an update. so I...
  7. Update taking so long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update taking so long: I started the whole process like an hour ago and it’s at 18%. I need to get my school work done for today and i would really appreciate info of why it’s taking so long and if there’s anyway to make it faster. Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/iLovePotatoes__ [link]...
  8. Why does it take so long to update?

Why does it take so long to update?: I started a Windows update yesterday around 10:00 am Sunday. Let it run till this morning at 7:00 am and it said 3% last night when I went to bed and again 3% when I turned my laptop off. Why so long to update? I could see an hour or so but not close to 24 hours. Is...
  9. Why does install an update take so long

Why does install an update take so long: On my HP running Windows 10 1903 said I had to restart. I did now it is telling me not to turn off since it is working on updates. It has been at 19% for 1 hours. What is going on? I am on metering wifi and told it not to update. It changes things on its own. I didn't...
  10. Windows update cleanup - why is it taking so long?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows update cleanup - why is it taking so long?: My hard drive space is low right now due to a project, so I decided to gain a bit back by deleting old windows update files. So I went into disk cleanup and selected clean update files, and it's been doing this slowly for over 90 minutes already. It said there was about 30GB...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does windows update cleanup take so long