Windows 10: Windows Update Cleanup

Discus and support Windows Update Cleanup in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, everyone. Has anyone else noticed how slow Disk Cleanup has become if you choose 'Clean up system files' and select Windows Update Cleanup after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CarlSD, Jan 10, 2016.

1. CarlSD Win User

Windows Update Cleanup

Hi, everyone.

Has anyone else noticed how slow Disk Cleanup has become if you choose 'Clean up system files' and select Windows Update Cleanup after a clean install of Windows 10?

Just the Windows Update Cleanup part is slow - took about 20-25 minutes to get through it today.

Never used to be like that and I'm pretty sure it's something recent. I've done a few clean installs of Threshold 2 since November and it wasn't slow like that until the past week or so (I've done 2 clean installs over the past week and they've both been slow with Windows Update Cleanup).

As I recall. Windows 8 had the same 'bug' and it now seems to have crept into Windows 10 (at least for me).

:)

CarlSD, Jan 10, 2016

2. Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup showing too much space

I see this as well, since last windows updates. 1TB disk, offered a cleanup with 4Tb to recover. Chkdsk shows OK, restarted.... same. 100Gb space has vanished, and my backup takes 5 times as long as it did last week. Hmm.

Toasted Wombat, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup showing too much space

Hi,

Hard disk and file system errors can result from a variety of problems, such as hardware failures, power outages, poor system maintenance, viruses, and human error. To resolve the issue, you may try to restart the system and check if there will be any changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Jenicel Dri, Jan 10, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows Update Cleanup

That has been my beef for a long time, and that is also why I've switched to Ccleaner instead since Win 8.

davidhk, Jan 10, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Well my system/computer may be faster than yours, I do not know. But Windows Cleanup even after a clean install on my computer has never taken more than maybe 3 to 4 mins tops! Most of the time.....except for after a clean install, it only takes about 1 min....so at least for me, it has never been slow, just doesn't give correct information on what it has deleted, but its been doing that for a long time.

OldMike65, Jan 10, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    The OP's complaint is on this.................. how slow Disk Cleanup has become if you choose 'Clean up system files' and select Windows Update Cleanup after a clean install of Windows 10?

davidhk, Jan 10, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes David I READ that, and I also replied on how long it took my computer to clean up system files <----!!! which was NEVER over 3 to 4 mins tops!! I suggest David you re-read what I posted. I will say again, even using system cleanup option, on a clean install of Windows 10, it has never taken more than 3 to 4 mins. Hopefully David that is clear enough.....for you.
    Sorry if I was not perfectly clear on my 1st post....sir.

OldMike65, Jan 10, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

Windows Update Cleanup

It doesn't do the same thing though. Windows update cleanup runs dism to tidy up your WinSxS folder. CCleaner doesn't do this.

I can't say I've noticed any particular decrease in speed recently. I do quite a lot of clean installs in VMs and it never takes more than a couple of minutes (host has SSD). On the other hand I did a repair install on an old HDD laptop the other day and Windows update cleanup took half an hour (it also got very hot) but then it always did - since Windows 8 anyway.

9. davidhk Win User
    All I was trying to say was that I had the same long disk cleanup time when I chose 'Clean up system files' and select Windows Update Cleanup after a clean install of Windows 10, exactly the same issue the OP has. It never took less than 20 minutes. That is why I switch to Ccleaner.
    I do not use ssd.

davidhk, Jan 10, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok now that explains why mine does it a lot faster David, as both my computers have a ssd installed for the C drive. That would make a big difference in speed of course. SSD's prices are coming down quite a lot these days, maybe you might want to upgrade yours?? You would really love the difference David. *Smile

OldMike65, Jan 10, 2016
  11. CarlSD Win User
    Thanks for the replies, guys.
    @OldMike65 - I have an SSD (Samsung 840EVO, 250GB) which I've been using for nearly the past year.

It's just the last couple of Windows 10 clean installs I've done in the past few weeks (I like to experiment) where Disk Cleanup has been very slow cleaning up Windows Update files.

CarlSD, Jan 10, 2016
  12. jtjt00 Win User
    jtjt00, Jan 12, 2016
  13. jtjt00 Win User

Windows Update Cleanup

My Samsung 830 SSD takes 3-4 mins to do the Windows Update cleanup.

jtjt00, Jan 12, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    That's a VERY old post, from April of 2015. They talk about magician 4.6 release. We are now on 4.9.5 Their are no firmware updates available at this time.

OldMike65, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update Cleanup

1. Windows Update Cleanup - Similar Threads - Update Cleanup

2. Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up: For a bit, I have been trying to get rid of Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Cleanup, but it is not working. I have tried searching but every answer I find either does not relate to my situation/does not work. It has gotten so bad that it has accumulated to 8.30GB.I would...
  3. Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up: For a bit, I have been trying to get rid of Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Cleanup, but it is not working. I have tried searching but every answer I find either does not relate to my situation/does not work. It has gotten so bad that it has accumulated to 8.30GB.I would...
  4. Windows Update Cleanup doesn't get purged in temp files storage settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Cleanup doesn't get purged in temp files storage settings: Hello.After the 23H2 version Windows update Windows 11, I'm not able to delete the previous update files which were always safe to be removed by Windows.I would simply do that by going into Storage Settings of Windows. Then Temp Files and then Windows would list all the files...
  5. Windows Update Cleanup doesn't get purged in temp files storage settings

Windows Update Cleanup doesn't get purged in temp files storage settings: Hello.After the 23H2 version Windows update Windows 11, I'm not able to delete the previous update files which were always safe to be removed by Windows.I would simply do that by going into Storage Settings of Windows. Then Temp Files and then Windows would list all the files...
  6. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up: Hey, I'm trying to clear my system files on my C drive because I'm running out of space. So I'm trying to use disk clean up, it says I can clear 8.6GB but it never clears. I'm running it in admin mode but I'm not sure what to do. I've also tried using the Microsoft app 'PC...
  7. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up: Hey, I'm trying to clear my system files on my C drive because I'm running out of space. So I'm trying to use disk clean up, it says I can clear 8.6GB but it never clears. I'm running it in admin mode but I'm not sure what to do. I've also tried using the Microsoft app 'PC...
  8. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up

9. Windows Update eating up space, Disk cleanup cannot find Windows Update Clean up after the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update eating up space, Disk cleanup cannot find Windows Update Clean up after the...: Hello,1 I had about 4 GB of space on my C Drive. I have windows 10 Pro, 22H2. Within minutes, Windows update ate it all up down to about 500MB. I restarted after the updated. Went on that day to Disk Cleanup as administrator many times, but Windows Update Cleanup does not...
  10. Windows Update eating up space, Disk cleanup cannot find Windows Update Clean up after the...

Windows Update eating up space, Disk cleanup cannot find Windows Update Clean up after the...: Hello,1 I had about 4 GB of space on my C Drive. I have windows 10 Pro, 22H2. Within minutes, Windows update ate it all up down to about 500MB. I restarted after the updated. Went on that day to Disk Cleanup as administrator many times, but Windows Update Cleanup does not...