Windows 10: Windows update completely breaks language selection

Discus and support Windows update completely breaks language selection in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is just getting ridiculous. Every time there`s a windows update, an issue happens with language selection. Default language won`t work, or an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bobbymcgeed, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Windows update completely breaks language selection

This is just getting ridiculous. Every time there`s a windows update, an issue happens with language selection.

Default language won`t work, or an extra keyboard is added for no reason, or am forced to use one language I don`t want to that`s tied to the wrong keyboard layout... and all this when I have not changed a single setting -- it just happens with Windows update.

But December 20 2018 update just plain killed the ability to switch languages. You know, an important thing if working in multi-language, but I suppose it`s the main thing that developers and testers don`t care about when working on Windows?

I mean, I managed to get it kind of onto English from French, but ``````` look at those apostrophes! This is supposed to be an English apostrophe ` ,but it comes from the French keyboard. The language selection won`t switch away displaying that the keyboard is in French, yet I can half-way switch by using the shortcut to switch languages. It gets rid of part of the French keyboard, but keeps the rest.

So, now I`ve got an English keyboard, managed to get rid of French accents (until I need them when they won`t be available of course), but I can`t make a proper English apostrophe appear.

So much for Professional writing to clients.

Windows team, please invest slightly more care into the tens of millions of people out there who don`t exclusively use English.

:)

bobbymcgeed, Dec 21, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows update completely breaks language selection :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 21, 2018
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Dec 21, 2018
  4. Windows update completely breaks language selection

Language

Hi Sassy,

To remove the Croatian language in Windows 10, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Open the Settings app, select Time & Language, and click
      Region & Language
    • Under Add a language, select English, and click
      Set as default
    • Select the Croatian language and click Remove.
    • Close the Settings app, restart the computer, and check if the issue persists.

Let us know if the steps provided worked for you.

Genevieve Cri, Dec 21, 2018
Thema:

Windows update completely breaks language selection

1. Windows update completely breaks language selection - Similar Threads - update completely breaks

2. Windows 11 breaks keyboard after all updates are complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 breaks keyboard after all updates are complete: Why is windows 11 disabling keyboard drivers after it updates it self? I've tried everything on the internet to get it to work without success. Even a usb keyboard will not work. Ran SFC and DISM, reinstalled windows 11 over top of itself that also did not work. Please help...
  3. Windows 11 breaks keyboard after all updates are complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 breaks keyboard after all updates are complete: Why is windows 11 disabling keyboard drivers after it updates it self? I've tried everything on the internet to get it to work without success. Even a usb keyboard will not work. Ran SFC and DISM, reinstalled windows 11 over top of itself that also did not work. Please help...
  4. Changing Display Language completely breaks the settings app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Display Language completely breaks the settings app.: I've changed my display language from czech to english US to make troubleshooting easier, however, once the language changed, the entire settings app became nearly unusable. Almost all individual options have incorrect names and descriptions. Trying to interact with most of...
  5. Changing Display Language completely breaks the settings app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Display Language completely breaks the settings app.: I've changed my display language from czech to english US to make troubleshooting easier, however, once the language changed, the entire settings app became nearly unusable. Almost all individual options have incorrect names and descriptions. Trying to interact with most of...
  6. Windows update completly breaks my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update completly breaks my pc: Hi, a few months ago I think about 5, after restarting my pc for an update, I realised my microsoft edge was freezing and closing after 5 seconds. I tried everything I saw online related to this issue and no help.I also realised it wasn't only Microsoft edge, but also some...
  7. Language select button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language select button: I recently noticed that my language change button at the bottom of the display has now threeoptions instead of two: English US Hebrew QAB - Unknown Locale qab - Latn US Keyboard. How can I remove the QAB? It does not appear in the Preferred LanguageList. The list...
  8. Updates completely breaking my computer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Updates completely breaking my computer?: So, I've been having an issue lately. Every time my PC does an update according to event viewer, the last two times this has happened it was the "2020-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems" it will then refuse to boot up. Any attempt to turn...
  9. Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely: I'm not even going to mention how thick and ugly the new search bar looks compared to the other ui elements, or how having to press enter to actually search for something instead of it happening in real time with each letter narrowing down the search like before; but what...
  10. Windows language not completely changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows language not completely changed: Hi Forum, I have installed my new computer win 10 in Switzerland. The installation was all in German (which I can not speak). After installation I have change the language into English. I have also changed the user account and welcome screen (setting - Region-...