Windows 10: Windows Update continually fails, several attempts were stymied.

Discus and support Windows Update continually fails, several attempts were stymied. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello The automatic update for the patches KB4566782, KB4569745, andKB4561600, all fail with error code 0x8000FFFF. When I click the 'Retry' button,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Skywolf176, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Windows Update continually fails, several attempts were stymied.

Hello

The automatic update for the patches KB4566782, KB4569745, andKB4561600, all fail with error code 0x8000FFFF. When I click the 'Retry' button, all three download, the install, and roughly when I reach 100% the status instead switches to 'Download failed' and the error code above.

When I try to run the Update Troubleshooter, the troubleshooter fails with the same error code:

An error occurred while troubleshooting

A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting

PackageID: WindowsUpdateDiagnostic

Path: Unknown

Error code: 0.8000FFFF

Source: Engine

User: <HOSTNAME>\<USERNAME>

Context: Elevated

I tried downloading the patches manually, and WUSA asks me to accept the terms and conditions at least for KB4569745, then the progress bar completes to 100%, and I get the notice:

Some Updates were not installed

The following updates were not installed:

Update for Windows KB4569745

The same happens for KB4566782, the other one is rejected outright, I must've downloaded the wrong file.

I connected to the online troubleshooter, which I assume is some sort of AI that guides me through a process. It asked me to repeat several things I've done before Restart in Clean Mode, temporarily disable the antivirus, make sure that I have enough space on the hard drive I have 69GB on C -- not a lot, but it's only an old 200GB SSD, and Windows and many programs want to have a lot of data on that drive.

Finally it asked me to run DISM and sfc in an Administrator terminal, here's the output:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.1]

c 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.19041.1

Image Version: 10.0.19041.1

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at

windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline

repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Interestingly while sfc hangs a lot of time after the '100% complete' before continuing with the notion that it wasn't able to fix everything. Further, while I don't know how to read the log files, I can't seem to see any reference to a file that was unable to be fixed.

I've created a gist for the two log files, in case it would help someone of you to identify the issue: Secret Gist of the logs

Thank you in advance.

Holger

:)

Skywolf176, Aug 28, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Aug 28, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Windows Update continually fails, several attempts were stymied.

Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

Checking for updates after following the steps, Will inform on the progress of the update process and whether this solves it or nope. Thank you for the suggestion.

[Update]
    The Trick didn't work.

Windows Update continually fails, several attempts were stymied. [​IMG]

Windows Update continually fails, several attempts were stymied. [​IMG]

The Security Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3074681) which was available, failed to install. And the same story again..

Shadow Delta, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update continually fails, several attempts were stymied.

1. Windows Update continually fails, several attempts were stymied. - Similar Threads - Update continually fails

2. Failing update continuously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing update continuously: I have Windows 10 21H1 and it has failed update continuously happening in my Windows. Error couldnt install updates and I try to do basic TS but still no help. Im doing this update for 2 weeks now....
  3. Failing update continuously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failing update continuously: I have Windows 10 21H1 and it has failed update continuously happening in my Windows. Error couldnt install updates and I try to do basic TS but still no help. Im doing this update for 2 weeks now....
  4. Failing update continuously

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows update continually fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update continually fails: Current error code - 0x800f0922So I'll start from the beginning.I bought this computer two years ago and it came with Windows 10. Beginning of this year I think I upgraded to Windows 11.I had Windows 11 at the end of June. It was trying to update my computer a few times and...
  6. Windows update continually fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update continually fails: Current error code - 0x800f0922So I'll start from the beginning.I bought this computer two years ago and it came with Windows 10. Beginning of this year I think I upgraded to Windows 11.I had Windows 11 at the end of June. It was trying to update my computer a few times and...
  7. Windows update continually fails

8. Failed update attempt

Failed update attempt: my pc has been trying to update to Windows 10 but it never is successful. It screws up the start every time as it has to undo all changes. This last time it has caused an endless loop of trying to start. I can hit delete to get into aptio setup utility but not sure what to do...
  9. windows update fails continuously

windows update fails continuously: when I am trying to update my windows 10 to latest patch it fails with error code 0x800f0922. can anyone tell me what to do now..[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-fails-continuously/785d370f-9d6e-43fc-b735-eb698c05d78f
  10. Windows continuously failing to update

Windows continuously failing to update: Hard to explain but I went to the Windows Update tab is settings, updated, and got these errors: [ATTACH] No idea how I got them but I retried and got the same errors. Thanks!...