Windows 10: Windows update corrupted my operating system

Discus and support Windows update corrupted my operating system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop keeps freezing and disconnecting from the internet. After 3 hours with Dell support they diagnosed that windows update had corrupted my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Crawling_Eye, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Windows update corrupted my operating system

My laptop keeps freezing and disconnecting from the internet. After 3 hours with Dell support they diagnosed that windows update had corrupted my operating system. I tried a factory reset but it didn't help. I can't use the media creation tool since I get disconnected from the internet all the time. Dell can't remotely diagnose and fix it because I can't stay connected to Dell support assist. So Dell is sending me a USB of Windows 8.1. So now I guess I lose Windows 10 since the time frame for upgrading for free has past.

Anyone have any ideas? I really hated Windows 8.1

:)

Crawling_Eye, Nov 12, 2018
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Nov 12, 2018
  3. System 32 files/ programs runs for a while and disappears on Windows 10

Hi Konstantin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with the processes running on the operating system. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • When exactly does this issue persists?

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to sign-out from the current user account, restart the computer, resign-in and check with the status of this issue.

Step 2: I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 3: Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue with the required information for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Windows update corrupted my operating system

Error: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system"

Hi Stephen,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system. Now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

Do let us know if you are able to see Windows 7/ Windows 10 operating system while rebooting the device?

As you are unable to boot the operating system, this issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot rec by following the below commands and check if it helps.
    You will have to use Windows 10/7 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    operating system using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 10:
    Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 7: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10/7 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
    • bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of booting the operating system for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows update corrupted my operating system

1. Windows update corrupted my operating system - Similar Threads - update corrupted operating

2. my operating system is corrupt i cant update anything or access windows programs or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my operating system is corrupt i cant update anything or access windows programs or...: i guess i accidently deleted something important i always get a message saying something like device file path not specified you may not have appropriate permissions or something like that. i dont have a thumb drive but i do have another computer with the same account on it...
  3. my operating system is corrupt i cant update anything or access windows programs or...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my operating system is corrupt i cant update anything or access windows programs or...: i guess i accidently deleted something important i always get a message saying something like device file path not specified you may not have appropriate permissions or something like that. i dont have a thumb drive but i do have another computer with the same account on it...
  4. my operating system is corrupt i cant update anything or access windows programs or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reinstalling Corrupted Operating System.

Reinstalling Corrupted Operating System.: Hi, I am using Dell Inspirion 3505 Laptop. It was pre installed with Windows 10 Home. I enrolled into Windows Insider Program to get The Early Build of Windows 11 .I was using it on a daily basis. Suddenly the OS got corrupted and I could not recover anything.Luckily I have...
  6. Corrupt Operating System. Windows 10

Corrupt Operating System. Windows 10: How can I download Windows from one windows 10 Lenovo to use to recover another Lenovo windows 10 that has become corrupt. Got a clean 32gb Thumb drive. I spoke to Microsoft yesterday and they gave me a link but it won't download to thr thumb, instead it wants to reinstall on...
  7. Update my operating system.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Update my operating system.: Hello, I wanted to ask of how do I upgrade my operating system. I'm asking because I wanted to update my Windows 10 to the latest version, I have enough storage, CPU and memory, but not the operating system, so I would be grateful if anybody helped....
  8. BIOS corrupted by update - "An operating system wasn't found"

BIOS corrupted by update - "An operating system wasn't found": My Dell Latitude E6540 was interrupted in the last Windows 10 update. Restarting resulted in freezing on Windows Loading Screen. I restored it to an earlier point and it worked until it updated again where it froze on the Windows Loading Screen. I got this refurbished laptop...
  9. Windows 10 Update Process Corrupting Operating System

Windows 10 Update Process Corrupting Operating System: Two of my three computers: Dell XPS 8500 and my wife's ACR laptop have both had their Windows 10 operating system corrupted during the update process. The 8500 lost about 2000 dollars worth of software that was not recoverable. I am sure it must be something I am doing during...
  10. windows 10 operating system corrupt. need to fix

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 operating system corrupt. need to fix: how do you fix a corrupt operating system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-operating-system-corrupt-need-to-fix/19af3922-2d30-425c-bc2d-b516de7e69e7

Users found this page by searching for:

1. updating a corrupted os

2. if windows update corups the operating system who pays

3. my operating system is corrupted

4. windows updates corrupted my operating system