Windows 10: Windows Update could not complete, now a whole bunch of weirdness

Discus and support Windows Update could not complete, now a whole bunch of weirdness in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I was having an issue with office 365 not being able to launch - when trying launch word, excel, etc, I would get and error saying:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by foghat, Aug 14, 2016.

1. foghat Win User

Windows Update could not complete, now a whole bunch of weirdness

Hi,

I was having an issue with office 365 not being able to launch - when trying launch word, excel, etc, I would get and error saying:

Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for the this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel.

So I tried the various built troubleshooting options - nothing worked. I figured, let's just give a reboot a try and see if that does anything. Upon shutting down, I noticed there was an update, so I selected the 'update and restart' option.

The update got to 97% and then stated it could not complete and it was undoing changes.

So changes gets undone (I guess) and I end up back at the login screen. I enter my pin and it attempts to login for a fair bit longer than normal (say a minute or 2) and then spits out the following error:

"The gpsvc service failed the sign-in. The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported"

(everything I could find on this talks about domain issues. This is a personal computer and not part of a domain.)

I click ok and then it signs me out.

I try sign in again and this time it lets me in, but my screen is black (I can only see the cursor) I fiddle a bit connecting to a second monitor and my desktop appears.

However, something is not right:
    1. I don't have my desktop background (it is just black). I do see program shortcuts and can launch them fine.

2. clicking the windows icon and search icon on the task bar does nothing.

3. right clicking on desktop and selecting 'Display settings' gives me this error (I get a similar error when selecting 'personalize' as well):
    ms-settings:display
    This file does not have a program associated with if for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

4. If I try launch windows explorer (window key + E) or by the short cut I have on my task bar), I get: The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check user name and password.

I am sure there are other issues. I am able to bring up the Run prompt and if I click browse from there, I can get windows explorer to open and can navigate my one drive files and other programs and such.

I tried opening the account setting from the run command, but get an error:

ms-settings-emailandaccounts:
    Class not registered

And to further add to the confusion, just before I posted this, I figured I'd try one more reboot - it still took a couple minutes to login and my screen went black, but again after fiddling with a second monitor I was able to get things to display and this time everything was normal and everything noted above (1-4) worked fine.

I then tried another reboot and I again have the same issues noted above - except I now never get the gpsvc error when I sign in.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what happened and what I can try to do to resolve? Aside from attempting a windows repair (and not sure if that will do anything given it seems I have some sort of account/permission issue) or a re-install, I am at a loss.

Thanks

Edit: I just tried signing out (ctrl-alt-delete) and, again, like signing in it took about 2 minutes to sign-out. Not sure if this is indicative of something or not.

:)

foghat, Aug 14, 2016

2. windows 10 update version 1511 undo

After the window 10 version 1511 were installed I kept getting a pop up window saying an application could not be completed at...(then a whole bunch of locations were listed in a drop down box). Up until that time I have never had a problem with windows
    10. I did delete the update and all is back to normal. Now I just need to keep the update from happening again. Who needs it! Thanks for your help.

Carolyn2010201120122013, Aug 14, 2016
  3. vera_van Win User
    Windows 10 update could not complete now stuck in loop laptop won't work

Windows 10 update could not complete now stuck in loop laptop won't work

vera_van, Aug 14, 2016
Thema:

Windows Update could not complete, now a whole bunch of weirdness

1. Windows Update could not complete, now a whole bunch of weirdness - Similar Threads - Update complete whole

2. Windows could not complete the installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows could not complete the installation: My power went out during a factory reset turned off the desk top doing shift f10 cd %winsir% code doesn't work turning it off and on does not put it into auto repair mode I've done the self scan nothing happens any tips and tricks?...
  3. Windows update could not be completed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update could not be completed: I can't install updates on my computer KB5005565 error 0x800f0831 please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-could-not-be-completed/edbe9059-7c34-4855-b63e-1e040e3c960b
  4. Windows update could not be completed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update could not be completed: I can't install updates on my computer KB5005565 error 0x800f0831 please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-could-not-be-completed/edbe9059-7c34-4855-b63e-1e040e3c960b
  5. Windows update could not be completed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Activation and a whole bunch of other problems

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation and a whole bunch of other problems: I made upgrades to my computer and my Windows was no longer activated. I bought a key and followed the instructions to activate Windows one again. I found that my settings were broken and sometimes would refuse to open entirely. Even when the setting opened the activation...
  7. IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE + a Whole Bunch More Errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE + a Whole Bunch More Errors: Hi, over the past few months I've been having frequent 1-2 times a day usually BSOD errors on my PC. It's a whole bunch of different errors, and unfortunately I can't figure out what definitively causes them at all. They're always extremely sudden going from normal computer...
  8. Windows could not complete the Installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows could not complete the Installation.: My current Windows 10 version is 1607 and i want it to upgrade to version 2004. In order to that, i downloaded Windows 10 update assistant. After running it, it downloaded the update to 100%, then verified the download to 100% then installed the update to 100%. After it said...
  9. Windows could not complete the Installation.

Windows could not complete the Installation.: My current Windows 10 version is 1607 and i want it to upgrade to version 2004. In order to that, i downloaded Windows 10 update assistant. After running it, it downloaded the update to 100%, then verified the download to 100% then installed the update to 100%. After it said...
  10. Windows 10 could not complete updates

Windows 10 could not complete updates: Hi I'm getting this message after it has restarted - "Windows 10 could not complete updates", Update I'm installing: July 24, 2018—KB4340917 (OS Build 17134.191) I have installed the standalone package also, but it didnt work. Everytime, windows would say restart to...