Windows 10: Windows update dares to silently reset USB ports ?

Discus and support Windows update dares to silently reset USB ports ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have unexplained brief USB connection losses with different devices on different computers; apparently mostly shortly after a cold start or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by benoitvm, Jul 7, 2020.

1. benoitvm Win User

Windows update dares to silently reset USB ports ?

Hi,

I have unexplained brief USB connection losses with different devices on different computers; apparently mostly shortly after a cold start or resume from sleep etc. Consequences vary from unexpected USB disconnect/connect system sound to more severe things like loss of Remote Desktop Connection or disk I/O error can be problematic during writes.

To avoid that, I now avoid using files on my external USB disks for several minutes after starting to work.

After lots of correlation t'shooting I came to the conclusion that Windows would occasionally reset USB connections during background, silent updates.

Is that true ?????

:)

benoitvm, Jul 7, 2020
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Windows update dares to silently reset USB ports  ? [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Jul 7, 2020
  3. usb port reset fail

Hi Laura,

We would like to know more information regarding the "usb port reset fail" error that you are getting. To verify whether this issue is being caused by the port or the external device, we would like to gather more information:

• What external device are you trying to connect to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the external device to another port or different computer?
    • Have you tried connecting a different external device to the port?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Jul 7, 2020
  4. Mala_S Win User

USB ports not working in Windows 10

Hello ruthives,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the below questions.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. Do you read any error message when you connect the device to the USB port?
    3. Are you facing this issue with any particular USB port or with all the USB ports?
    4. Since when are you facing this issue?

Your device is kept up to date with the latest features by automatically installing the updates in Windows 10. To narrow down the issue, let's go ahead and follow the below methods and see if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to follow the steps to diagnose and repair the USB ports from the article -

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

Method 2: Update USB controllers.

• Right click on the Start menu and select Device Manager from the list.
    • Narrow down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and update all the USB drivers.
    • To update the drivers, right click on the each driver and select Update driver.
    • If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would suggest you to uninstall all the USB drivers from the device manager.
    • Reboot the PC and it will automatically pick for the latest drivers for your PC.

If the issue persists, download and install the latest USB drivers available for your PC build from the
    manufacturer's website and see if it works.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows update dares to silently reset USB ports ? - Similar Threads - update dares silently

2. Unknown USB Device Port Reset Failed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown USB Device Port Reset Failed: Hello, a few months ago a USB port on my lenovo laptop became unable to recognize any device that would be entered. I normally use my USB ports for peripherals such as mouse and keyboard. Checking my device manager shows Unknown USB Device Port Reset Failed. Following some...
  3. windows update silent update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows update silent update: hi guys i have setupcomplete.cmd how can i add silent update (update) for windows 10 21h1 pro x64 as in the picture t44ecs4.png 183334
  4. windows update silent update

in Windows 10 Support
    windows update silent update: hi guys i have setupcomplete.cmd how can i add silent update (update) for windows 10 21h1 pro x64 as in the picture t44ecs4.png 183334
  5. No USB ports working after a Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No USB ports working after a Windows 10 reset: Today i reinstalled windows on my computer because of drivers problems, now my USB ports both motherboard and case aren't recognized by Windows, everything i plug in the ports gets power but nothing more. I've tried: Re-installing windows 3 times on 2 different drive a 870...
  6. USB microphone too silent

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB microphone too silent: we need a boost option for our USB microphones.this is my third USB microphone and still, people complain I'm too silent. if I check the volumes of the USB microphone recording, it's silly silent, it's almost useless. Windows10 needs a boost option for our USB microphones....
  7. 2004 update USB port

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2004 update USB port: I have a HP Compaq Pro 6305 SFF after upgrading to 2004 update the front USB port's VIA chipsets it produces a code 31 and the device manager says the port's are not working and refuse to update driver's this is the error : This device is not working properly because...
  8. Usb microphone too silent

Usb microphone too silent: So i have a Razer microphone called Razer Seiren X. It is a USB mic and for me it is to quiet. It is already on max volume but i can´t see the bass boost option. Is there a way to fix this without having a program in the background to make the mic louder?...
  9. Windows update disconnection of usb ports

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update disconnection of usb ports: How do I restore communication between Windows and my USB ports and mouse after the mid December update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-disconnection-of-usb-ports/86f21875-b336-460f-8a3e-bc33d025ede9
  10. Update disabled USB Ports.

Update disabled USB Ports.: Windows 10 USB 3.0 Ports got Disabled after a recent failed update try. KB3081438 which downloads, but fails to install [HERE] The ports are powered since i can connect my mobile to the 'disabled' ports and yet charge the device but cannot do any data transfer. But the...