Windows 10: Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Please see Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update? I tried the registry setting in Option 4 but that didn't work. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Mike89, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

Steve C, Mar 16, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Steve, *Smile

It looks like your "Defer feature updates" setting has been disabled by a group policy instead.

You might check the location below in the Local Group Policy Editor to see if you may have one enabled instead of "Not configured".

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update/Defer Windows Updates

Brink, Mar 16, 2017
  3. Steve C Win User
    The settings above under Defer Windows Updates are set to "Not configured".

I had the Defer updates box ticked until recently - I'm mystified why it is now greyed out.

Steve C, Mar 16, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

That is odd. Is the box checked after using Option 4 even though still grayed out?

Brink, Mar 16, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    There is no overriding setting in the Registry or Group Policy Editor but the box remains unticked and greyed out. I guess this won't be an issue from 15061 since the update procedure changes.

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Steve C, Mar 17, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Most definitely shouldn't. *Wink

Brink, Mar 17, 2017
  7. FerchogtX Win User
    Weird question... does the regedit option works as well for home editions? I always like to go one version behind to avoid bugs and nasty stuff XD.

Sorry for the dumb question.

FerchogtX, Sep 23, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello FerchogtX,

I'm afraid this feature is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions. *Sad

Brink, Sep 23, 2017
  9. FerchogtX Win User
    Ohh, right, that means if I merge the reg options to defer updates, they won't be respected by the OS? Aw...

Time to return to WUHideUpdates.exe again XD

Thanks a bunch *Biggrin

FerchogtX, Sep 24, 2017
  10. ThrashZone, Sep 24, 2017
  11. FerchogtX Win User
    Hmmm... just what I was afraid of, well, no worries then.

Thanks for the support, guys *Biggrin

FerchogtX, Sep 24, 2017
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Hi Shawn, are you going to update the update tutorial?
    I noticed this change with the FCU.
    Microsoft's short explanation between the two semi annual setting is a bit weak, I find.

I noticed it, as I was looking for the reason I was getting this on my Win10 Pro desktop after the upgrade
    (I am not on Insider on this machine, my 10 Home laptop doesn't show this, and it used the same ISO)

Windows update appears to be working normally, and I even tried your Update Rest .bat file(didn't change anything).

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

That some settings usually comes up when you have used Group Policy Editor to change some policy.

cereberus, Oct 17, 2017
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Thanks for the idea Martin, but I haven't done that.
    I just double checked though, in case there was a system "hiccup" during the upgrade, but everything is set to "Not configured", as far as updates are concerned.

I'm up for any other ideas, though.

Is there a way(command or PowerShell) to reset GPedit back to defaults?
    Maybe the problem is somewhere in the registry, and a reset of GPedit might help.

It's not blocking me from doing anything, so I'm not that worried, I would just like to find the reason, is all.
    (but that yellow text info, on the black background....*092)

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2017
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Found the tutorial!

Reset Local Group Policy Editor Settings to Default in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

I'll give that a try.

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Update Defer Feature

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?: I need to uninstall the last Windows 10 update. It has my laptop completely frozen in a loop at start up and I didn't know whether to choose the quality or feature update to uninstall in the Advanced options menu. Please help. I just want my laptop to work again. Thank you...
  6. Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?: I need to uninstall the last Windows 10 update. It has my laptop completely frozen in a loop at start up and I didn't know whether to choose the quality or feature update to uninstall in the Advanced options menu. Please help. I just want my laptop to work again. Thank you...
  7. 2004; defer quality and feature updates only in group policy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2004; defer quality and feature updates only in group policy?: I just updated from 1909 to 2004 (19041.630). I noticed that deferrals for quality and feature updates was no longer possible using settings. Is it still correct that the only way to defer quality updates for 30 days and feature updates for 365 days is by using group policy?...
  8. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  9. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  10. It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10: Microsoft plans to finish the next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1903, sometime later this month. Windows 10 version 1903 will become available then at the end of March or the beginning of April 2019. First, to administrators of Windows who deploy it...