Windows 10: Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; [img] Didn't change anything; even after a reboot*Sad [img] I have this turned off: [img] But still WU shows this: [img] And it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Mike89, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Didn't change anything; even after a reboot*Sad

I have this turned off:

But still WU shows this:

And it's a desktop, not a mobile device, and Normal Win10 Pro:

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

@Cliff S,

Tutorial now updated. *Smile

Brink, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Bree New Member
    In this case it's not gpedit, rather the *some settings are manage by your organisation message is a result of ticking the new policy box just below 'Pause updates'. See this thread...
    Cumulative Update KB4043961 Build 16299.19 for PC

See also: Turn On or Off Pause Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

That policy box also appears in Home's settings page now. Once ticked there's a policy in place, unticking it doesn't remove the policy, just disables it. There appears to be no obvious way to remove the policy (and hence the 'managed by...' message). Here's Home after upgrading to FCU.

4. Cliff S New Member

Thanks @Bree*chuckle

Cliff S, Oct 18, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Thanks Shawn, the more in-depth explanation is much better(SAC-targeted & SAC)

Cliff S, Oct 18, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    It doesn't seem to be a normal gpedit policy.

Once set the red message appears whichever way you set it. It's can be set On or Off, but either way it counts as having set a policy. There appears to be no mechanism (especially in Home) to set it back to 'unconfigured' as you can in gpedit. The blue View configured updates policies link that also appears after ticking the box says it's a 'Mobile Device Management' policy.

7. Cliff S New Member
    Oh well, I'm just glad I don't have Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD)

Cliff S, Oct 18, 2017
  8. Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm investigating if there's a way to fix this.

bobsagetfullhou, Oct 18, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    @Bree and Shawn.
    I finally got rid or it(some settings managed....)*Smile

I know I said I probably wouldn't, but...
    I did a repair install.
    Anyhow, I was also getting crash errors with the People toolbar in the sys tray, and a couple of other blips in the system, and I thought it might have to do with that I had upgraded with that leaked trick, to get the upgrade from Microsoft's server using PS to add that .cab file, so I went and got the "official" ISO using the "upgrade now" selection.

Anyhow the text is now gone*Smile

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    @Cliff S, it's good to know it can be done - now all we have to do is track down the elusive registry key so we can have another @Brink tutorial *Smile

My test machine (and ocd) may help there *Smile

11. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    Can anybody explain the real point of that switch.

I though the whole point of a metered connection was to prevent updates!

The only thing I can think of is it acts like a global override, so you do not have to hunt for the metered connection switch (and each connection can be different).

I guess it enable you to get updates, then revert to metered connection with minimum fuss?

Problem is if you forget to uncheck it again.

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Martin, *Smile

By default, Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections. In that case, it'll automatically download only those updates required ti keep Windows running smoothly.

That setting is basically to allow automatic updates even over metered connections. It is not to toggle on/off automatic updates itself. Only for over metered connections.

*Arrow Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Brink, Oct 20, 2017
  14. please share registry files for me and my family to made a life more easy.

monstertruckpa, Nov 20, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Update Defer Feature

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?: I need to uninstall the last Windows 10 update. It has my laptop completely frozen in a loop at start up and I didn't know whether to choose the quality or feature update to uninstall in the Advanced options menu. Please help. I just want my laptop to work again. Thank you...
  6. Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?: I need to uninstall the last Windows 10 update. It has my laptop completely frozen in a loop at start up and I didn't know whether to choose the quality or feature update to uninstall in the Advanced options menu. Please help. I just want my laptop to work again. Thank you...
  7. 2004; defer quality and feature updates only in group policy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2004; defer quality and feature updates only in group policy?: I just updated from 1909 to 2004 (19041.630). I noticed that deferrals for quality and feature updates was no longer possible using settings. Is it still correct that the only way to defer quality updates for 30 days and feature updates for 365 days is by using group policy?...
  8. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  9. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  10. It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10: Microsoft plans to finish the next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1903, sometime later this month. Windows 10 version 1903 will become available then at the end of March or the beginning of April 2019. First, to administrators of Windows who deploy it...