Windows 10: Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Just a heads up, if you happen to use the home editions, tweaking the registry keys actually work. Due to some recent disaster, I had to reinstall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Mike89, Feb 17, 2016.

1. FerchogtX Win User

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

Just a heads up, if you happen to use the home editions, tweaking the registry keys actually work. Due to some recent disaster, I had to reinstall windows and tested my luck, because Windows Update was offering me the upgrade to 1709 (which I will skip, sounds problematic), tweaking the defer feature upgrades value actually made it unavailable again, and I could just install updates as usual.

in short, registry tweaking as you state in this tutorial works for home editions, @Brink *Smile

Thanks for the tutorial, once again *Biggrin

FerchogtX, Nov 30, 2017
  2. tracit99 Win User

Hi Shawn,

The options to defer updates are missing in Advanced Options for my system. This issue has been discussed some in the 16299.98 thread but so far a solution has not been found. I had checked the registry settings listed above and they match what you show. I have some registry tweaks and I have the managed by organization message but I have removed all tweaks and restarted the system and the defer updates options are still missing. I am also on RP if that makes any difference. I have not done a repair install. Any idea why they have gone missing?

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

tracit99, Dec 4, 2017
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @tracit99, *Smile

If you mean that you have an Insider build installed, then that would be why. These settings are not available in Settings for Insider builds.

Brink, Dec 4, 2017
  4. tracit99 Win User

Thanks Brink. I suppose RP qualifies as an Insider build.

tracit99, Dec 4, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, I'm afraid so.

Brink, Dec 4, 2017
  6. fred3 Win User
    Today, it appears that 1709 will not allow updates to be turned off (such as turning off the Windows Update service). This will be overwritten to "Manual" from "Disabled". KB4088776 of 3/13/2018 does this.

Anyway, I came here looking for a better description of what "Pause Quality Updates Starting" really does. It's not all that clear. Some help would be appreciated.
    GPEDIT.MSC
    Local Computer Policy
    Computer Configuration
    Administrative Templates
    Windows Components
    Windows Update
    Windows Update for Business
    Select when quality updates are received
    Pause Quality updates starting
    [ ]

Thanks!

fred3, Mar 17, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 17, 2018
  8. fred3 Win User

Brink,

Thanks. The presentation is quite different. The settings are being made using gpedit.msc and, now, the Settings dialog says: ""*Some settings are managed by your organization". But going to gpedit as I outlined earlier remains accessible.

fred3, Mar 17, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sorry, the group policy method to pause updates does the same as the tutorial I posted above, but the group policy method makes it where you can't change it in Settings.

This is the reason why you would see the "Some settings are managed by your organization" message.

Brink, Mar 18, 2018
  10. fred3 Win User
    Yes, I know that. The original question remains and doesn't appear to be covered at all in the tutorial. Did I miss it?

fred3, Mar 18, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you mean what does the "Pause Quality updates starting" setting in group policy is for, it is for specifying a start date to pause updates.

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Brink, Mar 18, 2018
  12. fred3 Win User
    OK. And that pause is independent of any deferred receipt date? It starts when it starts. What happens in the interim if the date specified is in the future?

fred3, Mar 18, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct.

The other Pause setting works independently and immediately to pause all (most) updates for up to 7 days, while defer in this policy will only stop quality updates for up to 30 days.

If the defer policy has a date specified in the future, then the defer won't start until that date.

Brink, Mar 18, 2018
  14. fred3 Win User
    Brink, Thanks!
    Now all one might look for is a script to reset the pause setting each day or each week.
    But, is it also correct that one can't "pause" unless the machine is up-to-date?

fred3, Mar 18, 2018
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome.

When you turn on Pause Updates and turn it off or the 7 days has expired, you won't be able to turn on "Pause Updates" again until after you install any available updates.

Brink, Mar 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Update Defer Feature

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?: I need to uninstall the last Windows 10 update. It has my laptop completely frozen in a loop at start up and I didn't know whether to choose the quality or feature update to uninstall in the Advanced options menu. Please help. I just want my laptop to work again. Thank you...
  6. Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Windows 10 2H22 a quality update or a feature update?: I need to uninstall the last Windows 10 update. It has my laptop completely frozen in a loop at start up and I didn't know whether to choose the quality or feature update to uninstall in the Advanced options menu. Please help. I just want my laptop to work again. Thank you...
  7. 2004; defer quality and feature updates only in group policy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2004; defer quality and feature updates only in group policy?: I just updated from 1909 to 2004 (19041.630). I noticed that deferrals for quality and feature updates was no longer possible using settings. Is it still correct that the only way to defer quality updates for 30 days and feature updates for 365 days is by using group policy?...
  8. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  9. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  10. It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10: Microsoft plans to finish the next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1903, sometime later this month. Windows 10 version 1903 will become available then at the end of March or the beginning of April 2019. First, to administrators of Windows who deploy it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update defer registry