Windows 10: Windows update deleted desktop folder

Discus and support Windows update deleted desktop folder in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Today I updated Windows. I took a while as usual and I finally got back to the desktop. I noticed that the user directory (and some other stuff) has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/0x3F2D, Aug 18, 2020.

1. /u/0x3F2D Win User

Windows update deleted desktop folder

Today I updated Windows. I took a while as usual and I finally got back to the desktop. I noticed that the user directory (and some other stuff) has been moved to C:\windows.old. The Desktop was nearly empty. I moved everything from C:\windows.old\users\%username%\desktop to C:\users\username\desktop and everything was as before. The computer was updated and running fine.

After a reboot, Windows decided that it was not. It reverted the updates and moved everything back from C:\windows.old and deleted the newly created C:\users\username\desktop directory where I moved all my files. (Guess I should have copied them instead of cutting/pasting...)

The files are gone. I don't know what exactly what I had on the desktop but it's probably not important. I have a backup (which is a bit old, I admit...) for everything important. For others, it might be more problematic and I think this issue should be fixed. The created directories should be checked for modifications before they get deleted when reverting updates.

submitted by /u/0x3F2D
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/0x3F2D, Aug 18, 2020
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows update deleted desktop folder ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Aug 20, 2020
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Windows update deleted desktop folder :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Windows update deleted desktop folder :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 20, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows update deleted desktop folder - Similar Threads - update deleted desktop

2. Unable to delete folder on desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete folder on desktop.: Okay so I was being really stupid and looking in the permissions of a folder I had on my desktop in the security tab. But I accidently disabled the READ access permission on ADMINISTRATORS so I cant delete the file nor can I even see whats inside it. Please help I have tried...
  3. Windows 10 Update deleted all folder in desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Update deleted all folder in desktop: So today 30/11/2020 to 01/12/2020 after I updated my Windows I checked that all my Desktop folders and shortcuts (except some) were completly gone and wiped of my computer. All the apps are still there. Tried to reverse the update didn't help. Anything more I can do, or all...
  4. Deleting Folders in Desktop

Deleting Folders in Desktop: Hello everyone! I create this post to ask if someone can help me to delete these Folders in my Desktop category. I've tried to right-click on these Folders to find the way to delete them. But it doesn't seem to have a option to delete. Does anyone have a solution to help me?...
  5. Windows deletes folders that were on my desktop after an update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows deletes folders that were on my desktop after an update: Hello everyone, hope you are having a good day. So on thursday evening I finished my regular shenanigans on my pc and went to bed. When I went to turn the pc it had the "Update and shut down" option because an update was available. Didn't really think anything of it, just...
  6. deleted desktop folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    deleted desktop folder: deleted desktop folder and this error comes please help me [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-desktop-folder/dd9aa2cc-8b6d-4d8e-b181-5934ced03c24
  7. Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated

Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated: Hi After the most recent windows update, my desktop was completely different and all the files and folders that had previously been on it are nowhere to be found on the computer. Folders still appear in recently accessed, but it shows an error message if I try open them....
  8. desktop folder deleted due to win update..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop folder deleted due to win update..: Hello. I've got an older computer, and every so often, it does an automatic update, which no longer has the option to turn off. My pc cannot handle the update, so it freezes, I have to reset it, and it restores to the previous version for the next month and a half. So this...
  9. Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop: I've been trying to delete folders on my desktop but They won't delete. Files are deleting just fine but when I try deleting a folder, it gives me this processing tab: [img] and "completes" the deletion but the folder never ends up getting deleted. It can be opened,...
  10. Accidentally deleted desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally deleted desktop folder: I have accidentally deleted my desktop folder. It is now renamed "downloads" and appears twice in file explorer under "this PC". I messed it up when I tried to make all my downloads go to the desktop. I can see it and work with it, but I want the desktop name back. I feel...