Windows 10: Windows Update (?) deletes the "acpi.sys".

Discus and support Windows Update (?) deletes the "acpi.sys". in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everybody, a somewhat strange thing: I have an image of a 1909 (18363.900) installation which I am restoring to the same device. More... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mfessler, Jul 16, 2020.

1. mfessler Win User

Windows Update (?) deletes the "acpi.sys".

Hello everybody,

a somewhat strange thing:
    I have an image of a 1909 (18363.900) installation which I am restoring to the same device.
    More specifically, only the Windows partition, the UEFI partitions (100MB system, 16MB MSR, recovery) come from a 2004 installation.

As soon as the device goes online, it only takes a few minutes until the acpi.sys is deleted, whereupon the system then of course no longer boot.
    Furthermore it is also not longer possible to open the mmc (message: "This app has been blocked for your protection").

Conversely (C: from 2004, the rest from 1909 image) this behavior does not occur.

Of course it sounds like nasty malware or even third-party access, but according to Sysinternals Process Monitor, wuauserv (Windows Update) deletes the acpi.sys.
    Which does not mean anything, after all, the service could also be misused, but the system appears to be clean.

The Windows eventlog is unremarkable at the time of deletion.
    Have already tried a lot, disabled driver updates via WU and/or the device manager, and much more - all without success.
    What helps is of course to deactivate the service wuauserv, but of course it is not a solution.

Strange thing... apart from the fact that it makes sense to restore the entire disk anyway, especially with a version step,
    (so also to restore the UEFI partitions from the 1909 image), I wonder what the reason for this behavior is.

Has anyone happened to experience something similar or an explanation for it?

Thanks and greetings,
    Martin

:)

mfessler, Jul 16, 2020
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows Update (?) deletes the "acpi.sys". ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jul 16, 2020
  3. bestellen Win User
    Deleting contacts from Windows 10

When you say Windows Mail Live are you referring to Mail app or Windows Live Mail?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Live Mail.
    • Press Ctrl + 3 using your keyboard. Right-click on the contact to delete it if it is a single contact.
    • Highlight all contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
    • Click Delete located on the Ribbon bar.
    • Click OK when you see the message These contacts will also be deleted from Hotmail, Messenger, and other Windows Live services.

After following the steps above, all your contacts that you have manually added to your account will be deleted however, contacts coming from third-party sites such as Facebook will not be deleted unless you remove Facebook from your account.

For Mail app:

Open People app then delete the contact.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

bestellen, Jul 16, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Update (?) deletes the "acpi.sys". :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Update (?) deletes the "acpi.sys". - Similar Threads - Update deletes acpi

2. undate or delete wdcsam64.sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    undate or delete wdcsam64.sys: I'm running Windows 11. I tried to use my Western Digital external backup drive, and in the process, I turned off the memory integrity toggle under Core Isolation. I've checked for updates and I can scan and delete all but one instance of the driver wdcsam64.sys but I can't...
  3. undate or delete wdcsam64.sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    undate or delete wdcsam64.sys: I'm running Windows 11. I tried to use my Western Digital external backup drive, and in the process, I turned off the memory integrity toggle under Core Isolation. I've checked for updates and I can scan and delete all but one instance of the driver wdcsam64.sys but I can't...
  4. STTub30.sys deleted but memory isolation broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STTub30.sys deleted but memory isolation broken: So I struggled with an earlier situation regarding the driver known as STTub30.sys and ended up deleting it with autorun. Afterwards I thought my solution was fixed and I turned on memory isolation at last just to be stuck at my computer’s loading screen. No blue screen...
  5. Incompatible driver Zamguard64.sys no way to delete or update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incompatible driver Zamguard64.sys no way to delete or update: all it shows me is driver verison 0.0.0.0 the product name ZAM and thats it even running a couple cmd commands didnt help no provider name or class name or published name just those things memory integrity is off and i want it to be on no clue where this driver came from I...
  6. Incompatible driver Zamguard64.sys no way to delete or update

Incompatible driver Zamguard64.sys no way to delete or update: all it shows me is driver verison 0.0.0.0 the product name ZAM and thats it even running a couple cmd commands didnt help no provider name or class name or published name just those things memory integrity is off and i want it to be on no clue where this driver came from I...
  7. Delete Passguard_x64.sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete Passguard_x64.sys: I am trying to delete a driver called Passguard_x64.sys I can't find it anywhere. Tried device manager and looking for a driver in windows terminal still nothing. Basically, tried everything I could find online. It was a banking program with a Chinese bank for security. I...
  8. Delete Passguard_x64.sys

Delete Passguard_x64.sys: I am trying to delete a driver called Passguard_x64.sys I can't find it anywhere. Tried device manager and looking for a driver in windows terminal still nothing. Basically, tried everything I could find online. It was a banking program with a Chinese bank for security. I...
  9. I can't delete cpuz149_x64.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't delete cpuz149_x64.sys: So I recently got a virus and decided to reset my computer from scratch, but I just realized there is a file in my temp folder called ''cpuz149_x64.sys'' and every time I try to delete it, it says ''cant be deleted because the file is opening in another program'' I tried safe...
  10. Acpi device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Acpi device: After i updatet from win 8.1 to win 10 i have a device in devicemanager that says older unit. in information it says ACPI\INT0800\4&73ea035&0 no driver installed. what is this and where do i get a driver for this 47139