Windows 10: wINDOWS UPDATE/DESKTOP ISSUES

Discus and support wINDOWS UPDATE/DESKTOP ISSUES in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So this past Christmas I updated my windows 10. When I signed on the next day my desktop looked fresh, as if it were cleaned up of the miscellaneous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JamesLemischak, Dec 30, 2018.

1. wINDOWS UPDATE/DESKTOP ISSUES

So this past Christmas I updated my windows 10. When I signed on the next day my desktop looked fresh, as if it were cleaned up of the miscellaneous junk that eventually gets put on to it and all that was left was core programs. I thought nothing of this and assumed that as a result of the update everything was put away into a previous version folder (Like when one updated from windows 7 to windows 10). So I set about to finding the folders and files I felt were important enough to bring over to my desktop. After doing that and going about my continued business I shut down my computer for the day and went to bed. The following day I signed back on and there was my original desktop, custom background image and everything. The only things that were missing were the items I dragged over to my "new desktop" I figured that something buggy happened and Id simply have to just find what I dragged over and bring it back. This was not the case. Those items were gone. I could find the folder routes and when I clicked on them I got an error message saying that the path was blocked or that the file had been deleted. I couldnt find anything related to this new desktop, so I assumed it had been deleted. I downloaded Recuva and did a huge deep dive into my deleted content and nothing came up besides a few images that I was able to recover. The only clue I have from the recuva program is that there is a "hard-disk 3" that the program couldn't gain access to. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

:)

JamesLemischak, Dec 30, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 30, 2018
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows update issues

Came here to suggest this.*Laugh :laugh:

Definitely not an issue with the Windows Servers as I just re-installed yesterday and got all my updates.

newtekie1, Dec 30, 2018
  4. wINDOWS UPDATE/DESKTOP ISSUES

Windows update issues

It works, but I still need to fix it so that way I dont have to plug computers directly to the modem to get windows update to work. It was also blocking me from installing directx.

CrAsHnBuRnXp, Dec 30, 2018
Thema:

wINDOWS UPDATE/DESKTOP ISSUES

1. wINDOWS UPDATE/DESKTOP ISSUES - Similar Threads - UPDATE DESKTOP ISSUES

2. Desktop Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Issues: So, sometimes, when I try to open my action center by clicking on it using the mouse, the icons will be like this, as an image attached below. However, the action center GUI will not open and to solve this, I would ususally use the Task Manager to restart explorer.exe to...
  3. Desktop Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Issues: So, sometimes, when I try to open my action center by clicking on it using the mouse, the icons will be like this, as an image attached below. However, the action center GUI will not open and to solve this, I would ususally use the Task Manager to restart explorer.exe to...
  4. Desktop issues since update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop issues since update: Out of no where, several of my desktop files have small brown boxes in the corner and I can't open the files on the C drive. When I try to open them, I get a message saying, "the file name is invalid" or "can't open". Since the update, my desktop and half of my files are...
  5. Desktop issues since update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop issues since update: Out of no where, several of my desktop files have small brown boxes in the corner and I can't open the files on the C drive. When I try to open them, I get a message saying, "the file name is invalid" or "can't open". Since the update, my desktop and half of my files are...
  6. Desktop issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop issues: So I've had to reset my PC twice due to random apps and files popping up on my desktop. I would try to hide them or put them somewhere to keep my desktop clean, but then it would interfere with games and their downloads. I don't know why it keeps doing this but I really need...
  7. Issue regarding WhatsApp Desktop update

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Issue regarding WhatsApp Desktop update: My WhatsApp desktop is showing me to update WhatsApp at Microsoft Play Store but when I try to download it, it is not happening. I am struggling past so many days. Kindly help me.Looking forward to hearing from you.Regards,Paral Mehta...
  8. desktop issue

desktop issue: I did something and now I don't have all the icons on my desktop. Instead are just a few of the apps. I think when I pressed the windows button it messed up my ability to have the icons on my desktop. how do I get it back like it was?...
  9. Desktop issue

Desktop issue: Last night, I updated my PC and today, when I opened it, all the files, including 'This PC' were removed from the desktop, except some software files. Also, some icons are automatically removed from my taskbar. Any changes in the desktop are not saved when the computer is...
  10. Desktop issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop issues: Hello, I recently changed my RTC battery on my Toshiba laptop. On Jan 1, or yesterday, I logged on only to see that my desktop has been changed and I lost all application data, like the applications are still there but I have lost their data such as I have to re-enter the...