Windows 10: windows update desktop unavailable

Discus and support windows update desktop unavailable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; trying to update windows and i get c /windows/system32/config/systemprofile/desktop is unavailable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by robertdunston, Jun 12, 2019.

1. windows update desktop unavailable

trying to update windows and i get c /windows/system32/config/systemprofile/desktop is unavailable

:)

robertdunston, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

Desktop is unavailable

Hi Tina C-Felli,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Could you please help me with the make and model of the computer?

I understand how something like this can really try your patience and I appreciate the time you have taken to resolve this issue. Desktop unavailable location which indicates an incorrect desktop location. Because system files gets
    corrupted. When the desktop location not available happens, you'll be presented with a blank desktop displaying no data and files.

I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps as mentioned below:

Step 1: Download ISO.

1. Open Task manager with ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ and click on more details.
    2. Go to File Tab >Click on ’Run a new task’> type:
      Iexplore. (Note: we will have to run each task in Admin Privilege, check the option ‘Create this task with Administrative privileges’).
    3. Choose the Gear (Options) > Select Developer Options (F12) >in the bottom select Emulation Option.
    4. Under Emulation Options: Change the User agent string to "BingBot" to receive the ISO DL prompts on the site instead of MCT.
    5. In the browser download
      windows 10
      from Microsoft website.

If you are not connected to internet, I would suggest you to
    create
    a bootable media
    using another computer and do a repair on the affected computer using a flash drive.

Step 2: Back up the data.

1. After downloading the ISO, Open Task manager with ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ and click on more details.
      Notepad.exe (Note: we will have to run each task in Admin Privilege, check the option ‘Create this task with Administrative privileges’.
      )
    3. Go to File> select Open > select the C drive and go to
      Windows.old or Users folder. Remember to change the dropdown in the Notepad.exe File, Open from Text Documents (*.txt) to All Files (*.*) to ensure that you can see all files on the machine.
    4. Verify if all files are safe before proceeding, and you can take the back up of files by connecting other external drive or USB. (Make sure you do not use the USB which has Windows 10 downloaded on it.)
    Note:
    While performing these steps there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before reinstalling the OS.

Step 3:
    In-place upgrade.

1. Open Task manager with ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ and click on more details.
      Notepad.exe. (Note: we will have to run each task in Admin Privilege, check the option ‘Create this
      task with Administrative privileges’.)
    3. Plug in the external USB or flash drive where Windows 10 is downloaded.
    4. Run Setup.EXE, proceed with the onscreen instructions. For more information, refer the steps provided by
      PaulSey… on How
      to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Jun 12, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 12, 2019
  4. windows update desktop unavailable

Windows update Unavailable

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Method 1: Try the followings steps:

• Click "Search" and type "Troubleshooting" without quotes and hit enter.

• Click “View All”

• Select "Windows Update"

• Click next to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: I suggest you to make sure if the following services are started in Services. msc

• Press Windows+ R keys to open Run Window.

• Type services.msc and hit enter

• Make sure the following services are set to Start and Automatic.

• Background Intelligence transfer

• Windows update

• Cryptographic Service

Hope this helps.

Waseemulla S, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

windows update desktop unavailable

1. windows update desktop unavailable - Similar Threads - update desktop unavailable

2. Windows 11 update unavailable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update unavailable: When will the Windows 11 update be available for a AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx processor? That is the only thing that doesn't meet requirements on my laptop, and it's still a really good laptop. Is there a release date in the works?...
  3. Windows 11 update unavailable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update unavailable: When will the Windows 11 update be available for a AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx processor? That is the only thing that doesn't meet requirements on my laptop, and it's still a really good laptop. Is there a release date in the works?...
  4. D:\ Desktop is unavailable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D:\ Desktop is unavailable: Today i got on my PC and my desktop was empty. Everything on my D drive hard disk is not accessible. When I try to open something thats on it a window pops up that says "D:\the folder is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or...
  5. Windows update causing "desktop is unavailable" error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update causing "desktop is unavailable" error: A couple weeks back, I was prompted to install a windows update. I accepted, and after it had installed and updated, I signed in to my account to find a black screen, and an error message saying: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If this...
  6. Desktop is unavailable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop is unavailable: So everything started with a Video Scheduler Internal error. Before that started, i turned off some stuff in task manager startups so they didnt start when i logged into my laptop, nothing important. Aftewards, i tried searching for a solution, and found that i should open...
  7. Windows Updates : Error "c:\Windows\system32\systemprofile\desktop" is unavailable

Windows Updates : Error "c:\Windows\system32\systemprofile\desktop" is unavailable: Hello, everybody, Yesterday afternoon, I logged in to my computer and it said it had some updates to install and started to install them. it said it would take several minutes but after an hour I started to get suspicious, especially as the messages it was displaying just...
  8. Desktop is unavailable

Desktop is unavailable: ***Modify title from: window 10 not booting*** Hello, My windows 10 on another laptop refuses to boot properly after the last update, the desktop location is lost, none of the functions work including the windows button and there is no internet access. no files can be...
  9. Desktop unavailable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop unavailable: i recieved a a computer from a family member and when i git it powered it on just fine, and oreceeded to do a reset, went well, but upon powering back on i recieved this message (see picture) i try clicking kn windows and task bar but doesnt open, screen black....only icon is...
  10. Desktop Unavailable

Desktop Unavailable: I restarted my Windows10 laptop to factory last night. After it finished I can signin. I have a stock wallpaper. I have a dialogue box saying something about the desktop is unavailable, and an unresponsive taskbar. What went wrong? How do I fix it (for free Ofcource). I paid...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp pavilion error message C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemproifle\Desktop is unavailable