Windows 10: Windows Update- Disk Size Problem

Discus and support Windows Update- Disk Size Problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I am running into a new issue I never have seen before. So I am using FOG Project to image the machines in my environment. Yesterday I imaged two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ztmurphy21, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Windows Update- Disk Size Problem

So I am running into a new issue I never have seen before. So I am using FOG Project to image the machines in my environment. Yesterday I imaged two Lenovo T460 laptops with a Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 Image. The size of the SSD on both machines are 256gb. So when I image the machines the partitions are correct when looking under Disk Management. Then during setup when I run Windows Updates I get an error that says the disk space is full and I need to free up space. This error still occurred after rebooting when the updates were completed. When I look in file explorer at the disk size of C:\ it says 1.5gb of 80gb available. Then when I go into Disk Management it goes from having normal paritions like it should to now saying the C drive is only 80gb and the remaining of the 256gb is unallocated, I am able to expand the C:\ drive to get it back to its correct size to fix the issue. But I am wondering what is causing this and if there is any known way to prevent this. I did look in update history and here are the update codes that were done when this happened:

• KB4503327
    • KB4503864
    • KB4465065
    • KB4503308
    • KB4499405

I do not believe it is an issue with my FOG imaging server because right after imaging everything is fine with disk space and the partitions. This occurs right after Windows Updates. I do have Lenovo Mini Desktops that I imaged and got the same updates and did not have the issue, I also had T440p's and E480's that got imaged and had the same updates but did not have this issue.

Any ideas on what is causing this and anyways to prevent this? I do have a work around by expanding the disk size after the updates. My main concern is if this would happen to any machines that get this update after they have already been imaged/setup and given to end users.

:)

ztmurphy21, Jul 4, 2019

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Windows Update- Disk Size Problem :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jul 4, 2019
  3. Disk bloat in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Is it my imagination, or does the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update consume an additional 20-30GB of disk space over the previous Creators Update release? Unfortunately, I didn't log my disk usage before the upgrade, but now my C: drive has 56GB of stuff, and I know it wasn't anywhere near that full before. I've run "Disk Cleanup -> Clean up system files" and selected everything on the list, including remove previous version of Windows. I also emptied my Recycle Bin, my Temp folder, \Windows\Temp folder, and \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Finally, I ran Wise Disk Cleaner to delete assorted application garbage.

Has anyone else noticed the bloat in Fall Creators Update?

Static~Charge, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Windows Update- Disk Size Problem

increase text size

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to change the font size:

• Click on "Windows logo" and select "Settings".
    • Select "System".
    • You can change the font size here.

Follow the steps to go to Control Panel:

• Type "Control Panel" in the search bar.
    • Select "Control Panel" from suggestions.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update- Disk Size Problem

1. Windows Update- Disk Size Problem - Similar Threads - Update Disk Size

2. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  3. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  4. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Size

Disk Size: I have an 8 TB WD external hard drive. I am using it plugged in to my router, like a "poor man's NAS" I guess. My router recognizes it as an 8 TB drive. I can plug it directly into the USB of any of my Windows 10 machines and Windows sees it as an 8 TB drive. However, when...
  6. Size and Size on disk

Size and Size on disk: Hi this is what I see on Pictures property folder: [ATTACH] How come? could it be that 75GB take only 2.2GB on disk or is it the other way around?... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-and-size-on-disk/04a4374b-f0b9-4eac-b4b6-3b68373c3330
  7. Facing problem while extending disk size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Facing problem while extending disk size: Hi All, Please some body help me in this regard - I am trying to extend the drive space as the drive is almost full in the File Server 2016 64 Bit OS using Disk Management console. By following the standard disk extend process while extension the system is showing the...
  8. Windows update problem and disk problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update problem and disk problem: When i try to update windows my disk is at 100% and now updates are stuck at 51%. Why is my disk at 100% and why the update is stuck. [ATTACH] Please help....
  9. problem of compressed disk size symbol

in Windows 10 Customization
    problem of compressed disk size symbol: how to solve problem of a pc i.e desktop folders are appearing with two arrows and also appearing for newly created folders and files. plese provide permant soluton...
  10. Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk: My 32GB Windows 10 Home PC (recently upgraded from 8.1) is low on disk space. I deleted Windows.old and I have hibernation disabled. Apart from a few browsers, very little else is installed, yet I only have 11.7GB left? One reason may be the size of the Windows folder:...