Windows 10: Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart

Discus and support Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC says it will update on shutdown/restart, however, neither option actually triggers updates to install, it just triggers a normal shutdown or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Thomas Bonatti, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart

My PC says it will update on shutdown/restart, however, neither option actually triggers updates to install, it just triggers a normal shutdown or reboot, and I need to install the patch for the print spooler vulnerability.My update history is showing me 6 counts of failed updates going back as far as 11/11/2020, with error code 0xc1900101, and one error with 0x80070652. This is the first I'm hearing about any of these errors, so apparently windows update has just been failing silently for 8 months. I already tried: - removing peripheral devices, and looking for corrupted drivers - following t

:)

Thomas Bonatti, Jul 7, 2021
  2. little cat, Jul 7, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Jul 7, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 7, 2021
Thema:

Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart

1. Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart - Similar Threads - update does actually

2. Shutdown does restart instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown does restart instead: When I select the shutdown option, my computer restarts instead. I'm using Win11 Pro on an HP Envy x360 laptop.It will shutdown if I use the shutdown command in a terminal window.Any ideas how to address this or what to look at?Thanks!...
  3. Shutdown does restart instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown does restart instead: When I select the shutdown option, my computer restarts instead. I'm using Win11 Pro on an HP Envy x360 laptop.It will shutdown if I use the shutdown command in a terminal window.Any ideas how to address this or what to look at?Thanks!...
  4. Why does windows restart instead of shutdown when I explicitly press update & shutdown?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does windows restart instead of shutdown when I explicitly press update & shutdown?: This is really pissing me off because it adds to the power bill. I feel like the texts are swapped as they are in weird positions as well. Both my partner and I experience this issue on different machines. Almost every time we press "install updated & shutdown" it just boots...
  5. Why does windows restart instead of shutdown when I explicitly press update & shutdown?

Why does windows restart instead of shutdown when I explicitly press update & shutdown?: This is really pissing me off because it adds to the power bill. I feel like the texts are swapped as they are in weird positions as well. Both my partner and I experience this issue on different machines. Almost every time we press "install updated & shutdown" it just boots...
  6. Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...: This is an absolutely non-sense in terms of UX, the main reason for UPDATE + SHUTDOWN is when I'm leaving the computer itself updating and starting to do something else in another place, when I've came back home, I've found my PC turned on asking for the password.I've seen...
  7. Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...

Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...: This is an absolutely non-sense in terms of UX, the main reason for UPDATE + SHUTDOWN is when I'm leaving the computer itself updating and starting to do something else in another place, when I've came back home, I've found my PC turned on asking for the password.I've seen...
  8. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!: Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy. The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update when turning the computer back on was annoying to say the least. I know there was talks about requesting the update and...
  9. Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart: Hi, Title sums up tje situation very well. Using Windows 10 on a desktop. When an update becomes available, upon shutting down my PC I get the option to either: 1- UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN 2- UPDATE AND RESTART 3- Can’t remember what the third one is but I never saw a use to...
  10. Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart: Hi, Title sums up tje situation very well. Using Windows 10 on a desktop. When an update becomes available, upon shutting down my PC I get the option to either: 1- UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN 2- UPDATE AND RESTART 3- Can’t remember what the third one is but I never saw a use to...