Windows 10: Windows Update does nothing

Discus and support Windows Update does nothing in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I used blackvipers handy services tweaking list for windows 10, and I seem to have unknowingly disabled a needed service for windows update, because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gu1k, Jul 28, 2015.

1. gu1k Win User

Windows Update does nothing

I used blackvipers handy services tweaking list for windows 10, and I seem to have unknowingly disabled a needed service for windows update, because when i try to load it nothing happens - as you can see in my screencapture.

BITS and Windows Update services are running so i have no idea how to get by this? Hoping some pros around here can help me out, Thanks

http://oi58.tinypic.com/k9dijp.jpg
    Windows Update does nothing [​IMG]

:)

2. Update installer does nothing and restarts my computer constantly

In the end I followed the instructions here:

Not Getting the Windows 10 November Update? Install it Manually (Updated)

As it didn't require me to root around in my registry (and I didn't see the reply until I had started installing)

This seems to have worked.

monkyvirus, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Update installer does nothing and restarts my computer constantly

Hello,

This issue might have occur due to corrupted or outdated Windows update components.

As you have already tried with Windows update troubleshooter, I suggest you to try the below steps and check if this helps.

Reset Windows update components and check.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates. Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components manually:

• Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    • Stop the BITS, Cryptographic,
      MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
      • net stop wuauserv
      • net stop cryptSvc
      • net stop bits
      • net stop msiserver
    • Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and
      Catroot2
      folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
      • ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
      • ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    • Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic,
      MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the
      ENTER key after you type each command.
      • net start wuauserv
      • net start cryptSvc
      • net start bits
      • net start msiserver
    5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

For reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
    incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry,
    click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Write us back with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Windows Update does nothing

Yes, i have the same issue and would like a fix if anyone please knows one

Fr33R3v0lution, Jul 28, 2015
  5. He's still around? There's a good reason why he was known as QuackViper years ago. His "fixes" never amounted to anything but unstable systems. I would undo everything his guide told you to change.

DeaconFrost, Jul 28, 2015
  6. gu1k Win User
    gu1k, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update does nothing

1. Windows Update does nothing - Similar Threads - Update does nothing

2. Windows 10 update download button does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update download button does nothing: Hello! I recently installed windows 10 onto my sister's PC. Most of the update downloaded and installed properly. But the ones shown in the picture won't download. It just says pending download and the download button does nothing. The windows update troubleshooter doesn't...
  3. Windows 10 update download button does nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update download button does nothing: Hello! I recently installed windows 10 onto my sister's PC. Most of the update downloaded and installed properly. But the ones shown in the picture won't download. It just says pending download and the download button does nothing. The windows update troubleshooter doesn't...
  4. Windows 10 update download button does nothing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Security does nothing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security does nothing: Windows Security found Trojan:Script/Conteban.A!ml on my computer but when I click "remove" or "quarantine", it does nothing. What's wrong with it and how do I solve it? Thanks....
  6. Windows + H does Nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows + H does Nothing: Hi,I am a windows 11 User and recently i tried Voice Typing for the first time but The windows + h Key doesn't do anythingIs this bcuz of any 3 party app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-h-does-nothing/e1aa914c-9b35-41f0-9023-c6125a9b51c2
  7. Windows + H does Nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows + H does Nothing: Hi,I am a windows 11 User and recently i tried Voice Typing for the first time but The windows + h Key doesn't do anythingIs this bcuz of any 3 party app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-h-does-nothing/e1aa914c-9b35-41f0-9023-c6125a9b51c2
  8. Windows 10 Update does nothing when clicked.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update does nothing when clicked.: Please help! I've been trying to run windows update, but nothing happens when I click the Settings icon. There's no error code / message or anything else. Is there some quick fix? It's only started now....
  9. Microsoft Update Catalog Does Nothing?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Update Catalog Does Nothing?: As reported in this thread: Cumulative Update KB3120677 Nov. 24th. I can never get the Microsoft Update Catalog downloads to work *Sad It just sits there with a blue IE window with the Microsoft Update Catalog logo top left (see attached) which is after I clicked the...
  10. Update Driver Software does nothing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Update Driver Software does nothing: I'm attempting to install a driver using Device Manager. When I right click then click Update Driver Software, it does nothing. Same for when I click Properties and click the update there. I've tried clicking Uninstall on the device, it give the warning for uninstalling,...