Windows 10: Windows update downloads slow system to a crawl

Discus and support Windows update downloads slow system to a crawl in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I can always tell when Windows update is downloading updates. The entire laptop (8 GB ram and fast FIOS insternet) slows down to a crawl for most of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Curious, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Curious Win User

Windows update downloads slow system to a crawl

I can always tell when Windows update is downloading updates. The entire laptop (8 GB ram and fast FIOS insternet) slows down to a crawl for most of that day. It becomes painfully slow to use.
    Is there anything I can do about that?

:)

Curious, Nov 29, 2017

2. Windows 10 is running slow after November update

I have had Windows 10 updated for December and it slows my system down to a crawl. I restored to the day before and all was well. it has now reinstalled the large update and my system is back to a crawl again. Any help out there ?

Original title: Spnomore

JEFFWALDROP, Nov 29, 2017
  3. windows 10 Pro - January 13, 2016 update slows down computer and appears to be incompatible with itunes

My system updated on January 16. PC immediately slowed to a crawl. I've uninstalled the update and I'm back to normal.

PeteCVA903, Nov 29, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

You could always download Windows updates as a scheduled task, or use the excellent Windows Update MiniTool (WUMT) to automate this on your behalf. Run it at night and it won't bother you by day, especially if you reboot after updates are downloaded. SuperUser has a nice piece on scheduled update downloads, and you can download WUMT from MajorGeeks.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 29, 2017
  5. MrHudson Win User
    Multiple updates will slow it down too, some updates will download faster than others then wait to install.
    You can set when your computer is active where it wont do nothing till it gets to where in set to be inactive. yours should be set at default to be active at 8am to 5pm.

MrHudson, Nov 29, 2017
  6. Curious Win User
    Terrific advice. I will look into that.

Curious, Nov 29, 2017
  7. Curious Win User
    Mine is set that I am active from 8 am to 12 pm but it does not seem to stop updates from downloading during these hours and making the laptop unusable.

Curious, Nov 29, 2017
  8. MrHudson Win User

If you are shutting it down, after you stop using it, the next day it will check for updates, run its security and maintenance, and sending feed back to Microsoft, which will cause it to be slow.
    Mine is set at default, although I shut it down at 9pm then at 5am start it back up.

MrHudson, Nov 29, 2017
  9. Curious Win User
    Thank you for your excellent suggestions. I downloaded WUMT and opened it but am not sure how to run it. I selected the option "scheduled" at 3 am but there is no button to "save". If I just close WUMT does it run as scheduled? Do I need to put something in the startup file or do something else?
    Thanks.

Curious, Dec 1, 2017
  10. EdTittel Win User
    After running the scan utility in WUMT (left-hand icon that looks like two arrows that form a circle), you need to click the select checkboxes for the updates you want, or click the Select All checkbox at the top of the window. Then you can click the download arrow with a line underneath it (which downloads and installs those updates for you). That should do the trick!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: there's a YouTube video entitled "How to Use Windows Update MiniTool" that you may want to watch to understand how to use it better. It's from the guys at MajorGeeks, so it's both reliable and mildly humorous.

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update downloads slow system to a crawl - Similar Threads - update downloads slow

2. Windows running at a slow crawl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows running at a slow crawl: Dell InspirionIntel Core i5-9400 @2.90GHz32 GB RAMWindows 11 x64For the past week or so my PC has become almost unuseable because of how slow it runs. I read there was recent update KB5007215 but I can not find a download link on the MS website.I've tried shutting down all...
  3. Windows running at a slow crawl

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows running at a slow crawl: Dell InspirionIntel Core i5-9400 @2.90GHz32 GB RAMWindows 11 x64For the past week or so my PC has become almost unuseable because of how slow it runs. I read there was recent update KB5007215 but I can not find a download link on the MS website.I've tried shutting down all...
  4. Windows 10 20H2 Update download really slow. Crawling....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 20H2 Update download really slow. Crawling....: Hi TeamI upgraded a second laptop of mine to Windows 10 20H2 from Windows 7. Everything works fine except that its download speed for any update from microsoft even for defender is super slow. It will either time out or download but at roughly 60-120kbps only or less. On my...
  5. Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl: Hey I've got Windows 10 v1909 and recently it became terribly slow. I had problems with BSOD for which i've consulted with the community and disabled Intel Turbo Boost 3 and uninstalled Kaspersky since they thought it might be conflicting with Malewarebytes. I've done a...
  6. Windows inexplicably slows to a crawl

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows inexplicably slows to a crawl: I've had an issue for a few weeks now where suddenly Windows will slow waaaay down (opening programs, websites refreshing, etc.) I can usually still open task manager and there are no obvious issues (nothing pinned at 100%, no one program that is the apparent culprit). A warm...
  7. My download speed has been slowed to a crawl.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My download speed has been slowed to a crawl.: I'm not sure what happened, but the other day my download speed just started going at a snail's pace. I have multiple devices using that connection, and the download speed on everything else is fine. I've seen a few things saying that the registry may be causing the issue,...
  8. Windows 10 slows down to a crawl

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 slows down to a crawl: So this has happened to me twice in the past week. Windows would just randomly slow down and start stuttering to the point where its unusable, and I would have to hard reset my machine. I run dual monitors, and in both instances, I was playing a game on one monitor, while...
  9. windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl: microsoft updated my desktop from 1703 to 1709 and it failed. the computer is down to a crawl. with the help of a tech i did a reset and it is even slower, to being disabled. can not download anything. where do i start? thank you 99751
  10. Startup slowed to a crawl

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup slowed to a crawl: Hi Everyone, I haven't been here for quite some time. About a week ago something changed with my Windows 10 startup. Everything seems to begin smoothly until the final blue screen finishes. There was usually a slight pause before the desktop appears but now just before my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system slows to a crawl during windows updates