Windows 10: Windows update erased my files

Discus and support Windows update erased my files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've updated my windows version and i noticed that my folders weren't on my dekstop . Not a problem, cause i found their path and dragged them back on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rotaru COsmin, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Windows update erased my files

I've updated my windows version and i noticed that my folders weren't on my dekstop . Not a problem, cause i found their path and dragged them back on dekstop. BUT , when i checked for windows updates in setting , after the restart, Windows literally delete a big part of documents .

What should i do ? I'm very disperate.

:)

Rotaru COsmin, Apr 11, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 11, 2020
  3. Windows program to secure erase files only

I tried doing a search and only found optimal ways to fully erase a disc. Since there are a ton of programs I thought it best to just ask for a current recommendation. I would like to erase a few folders only on a W7 machine and do not need a full time paid program.

Thank you for any suggestions.

nomdeplume, Apr 11, 2020
  4. Mike0409 Win User

Windows update erased my files

Windows program to secure erase files only

I've used fileshredder in the past - File Shredder

Mike0409, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows update erased my files

1. Windows update erased my files - Similar Threads - update erased files

2. when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive: when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-erase-a-file-in-my-pc-also-erases-in-the-one/238bf060-d29f-4615-90e1-1e01cbeafedd
  3. Windows 10 update erased for HDD head file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update erased for HDD head file: Is Microsoft liable to replace damaged drive and data loss due to windows update? I have tried everything to recover the drives data, 8 TB external HDD. It nearly 20 years of photos and videos of family that can not replaced. Your recent update 22H2 deleted the the head file...
  4. Windows 10 update erased for HDD head file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update erased for HDD head file: Is Microsoft liable to replace damaged drive and data loss due to windows update? I have tried everything to recover the drives data, 8 TB external HDD. It nearly 20 years of photos and videos of family that can not replaced. Your recent update 22H2 deleted the the head file...
  5. Windows 10 update erased for HDD head file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. UPDATES ERASE MY DESKTOP

UPDATES ERASE MY DESKTOP: Every time Windows 10 forcibly updates my computer, I lose everything that is on my desktop. What can I do to stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-erase-my-desktop/f91ff079-5288-4fb5-9240-5ede56f81bcf
  7. Windows update erases all my info.

Windows update erases all my info.: Is there some kind of patch to prevent this from happening again? It happens every time there has been an update since the begining of the year. It is getting very frustrating!!!!!...
  8. Windows 10 update erased bookmarks and files

Windows 10 update erased bookmarks and files: What is going on? I had to do a windows 10 update that said something about my version expiring and and now I can't find a ton of bookmarks and files. Every bookmark in explorer is gone and half of my bookmarks on firefox is gone. Years of downloaded video files are gone....
  9. Update Loop after Erasing all my files

Update Loop after Erasing all my files: So I erased all my data and reset it into a “new” state, afterwards I tried to set it up and I got a notification telling me to get a update for the computer, I waited a bit after pressing next and now im stuck in some sort of loop taking me back to the basic set up screen....
  10. my computer did an automatic update and all my files are erased.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my computer did an automatic update and all my files are erased.: my computer did an automatic update and all my files are erased. I lost all my photos and all my downloads. All my passwords were erased on my saved websites. How can i recover my photos? I use them for my business....