Windows 10: Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services version 1909

Discus and support Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services version 1909 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services version 1909... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mohd FaizanKhan1, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services version 1909

Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services version 1909

:)

Mohd FaizanKhan1, Jan 2, 2020
  2. Samedh Win User

Windows Update Error 0x80070424

I upgraded, fresh install (option 2 from the installation app, erase app's preserve personal data), from v1803 to v1909 (OS Build 18363.476), to get rid of the completely intractable Windows Update Error 0x80070424.

I, of course, am still getting the Windows Update Error 0x80070424. I've tried every one of the Microsoft Troubleshooters. I've created restore points and tested all the available registry edits that I could find online. Zero luck so far.

ANY and ALL help at this point would be greatly appreciated. I'm contemplating a backup, wipe and install, after backing up all my drivers of course.

As a side note I've contacted Microsoft directly and on the forums, and have received any helpful suggestions.

Edit: Latest Windows Update Troubleshooter, downloaded directly from Microsoft, reports that it has fixed the errors. It has not, in fact, fixed anything.

Edit: I think I have a clue as to part of the problem;

Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services    version 1909 [​IMG]

I fixed the missing Windows Update Service with the following command;
    sc create wuauserv DisplayName= "Windows Update" binpath= "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs -p" Start= delayed-auto depend= RpcSs

(Thanks to Windows Ninja!!! He has a video up on the problem at)

Of course, this being Windows 10, this means attempting to run Windows Update generates a new and improved error code;

Windows Update Error 0x80080005
    And I'm off to do more research...

- - - Updated - - -

As an update to my previous post;
    Known and Resolved issues for Windows 10 Nov. 2019 Update version 1909

My next bit of luck was to find the following command, which recreates the "Windows Update" service by passing some parameters to svchost and wuauserv.dll;

sc create wuauserv DisplayName= "Windows Update" binpath= "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs -p" Start= delayed-auto depend= RpcSs

I then had to manually re-add wuauserv back to my registry - no idea where it went or how it got deleted, but it was gone.
    The following video shows how to add it via regedit;

I found the following info at Microsoft, discussing the contents of the registry file needed for wuauserv to work;
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-5adc7036ed32

I got Windows Update up and running... until I rebooted. I found that I had to re-enter the command that starts "sc create wuauserv..." then reapply the registry edit, as it was again missing from my registry, and check that wuauserv, bits, cryptSvc
    and msiserver were all running, and then Windows Updates would run properly.

Anyone with any information as to how to make the changes permanent, stop the registry key for wuauserv from being deleted, it would be immensely helpful!

Samedh, Jan 2, 2020
  3. Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services.

Hi,

When I searched for the error code I found this answer and tried to follow the instructions.

Windows Update Error 0x80070424

However I cannot find Windows Update in the services list. Only Windows update related service I can find is Windows Update Medic Service, which was also stopped.

I'd appreciate some help.

Best regards

Suat Sevencan

SuatSevencan, Jan 2, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services version 1909

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services version 1909 - Similar Threads - Update Error 0x80070424

2. Windows update service missing with error 0x80070424

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update service missing with error 0x80070424: So i have been getting this error every time i check for updates. My system is current in win 10version 22H1 and even the update assistant to move to win 10 22H2 did not find success. The Win 10 22H2 ended up crashing after completing 100% which brought me back to the same...
  3. Windows update service missing with error 0x80070424

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update service missing with error 0x80070424: So i have been getting this error every time i check for updates. My system is current in win 10version 22H1 and even the update assistant to move to win 10 22H2 did not find success. The Win 10 22H2 ended up crashing after completing 100% which brought me back to the same...
  4. Windows update service missing with error 0x80070424

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Error 0x80070424, missing Windows Update service and missing 'wuauserv' in Windows...

Error 0x80070424, missing Windows Update service and missing 'wuauserv' in Windows...: Since about 8 days ago, due to a driver error in my GPU I had to reset my Windows. I decided this was a good time to wipe everything clean and start again. So I proceeded to reset my PC, selecting the 'Remove Everything' option, waiting about an hour for it to complete and...
  6. Missing Windows Update Error 0x80070424

Missing Windows Update Error 0x80070424: Windows update shows an error 0x80070424 windows update service is missing from the services.msc Microsoft store wont get me updates or downloads Cant install any optional feature from apps The cause maybe recently installed an update windows10 kb4565503 x64 manually...
  7. Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services.

Windows Update Error 0x80070424 & missing "Windows Update" in Services.: Hi, When I searched for the error code I found this answer and tried to follow the instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other/windows-update-error-0x80070424/6511a332-7de3-4f10-b823-49b6dae86b9c However I cannot find Windows Update in...
  8. Windows Update Service not installed error: 0x80070424

Windows Update Service not installed error: 0x80070424: Hi, There are several problems, so i will start by addressing the main one, i cant update windows, since, my headphones are connecting but not showing up on playback. I had to manually install windows store using command, and cant install any apps it says unknown error on...
  9. Cant update windows and windows update service is missing (error 0x80070424)

Cant update windows and windows update service is missing (error 0x80070424): I'm trying to update my Windows but it shows me : There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070424) I dig up somethings online and...
  10. Windows 10 update service missing and unable to update (0x80070424)

Windows 10 update service missing and unable to update (0x80070424): Hi There, When trying to update my computer I get the following error: [ATTACH] When looking for the Windows Update service I can see it's missing: [ATTACH] The Medic Service wasn't running either but I have since turned this on. I have tried the remediation steps...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error0x80070424 windows update missing services