Windows 10: Windows Update Error: 0x80070490. SFC, DISM, Update Troubleshooter, Clean Boot, Safe Mode...

Discus and support Windows Update Error: 0x80070490. SFC, DISM, Update Troubleshooter, Clean Boot, Safe Mode... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am attempting to install Windows Update KB4571756. Upon downloading and installing the update, Windows prompts that a restart is necessary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dantesEdge-, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Windows Update Error: 0x80070490. SFC, DISM, Update Troubleshooter, Clean Boot, Safe Mode...

Hello,

I am attempting to install Windows Update KB4571756. Upon downloading and installing the update, Windows prompts that a restart is necessary to finish installing the update. When the computer shuts down, the "Working on updates" screen appears, and the completion counter reaches 7% and stops. The computer then restarts twice, and the "Couldn't complete updates, Cleaning up" screen appears.

Entering back into Windows after the restarts, the windows update screen indicates that the update failed to install with error code 0x80070490. I've tried SFC and DISM, both reporting nothing requires fixing. I've tried running the update troubleshooter, which indicates there are no problems. I've tried running the update in both Safe Mode and after a Clean Boot, and the exact same issue persists. I've also tried manually stopping the update services, renaming the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders to .old to force a rebuild by Windows, which also had no effect.

I would really like to avoid reinstalling Windows in order to get the update to install. Are there any other things I can try to get this update to install?

:)

dantesEdge-, Oct 3, 2020

2. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

Good Evening,
    I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.
    The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running
    Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?
    Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Trevor

trevstonbury, Oct 3, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Update Error Code: 0x80070490

still have problem with error 0x80070490

williewalker_973, Oct 3, 2020
  4. coopfab Win User

Windows Update Error: 0x80070490. SFC, DISM, Update Troubleshooter, Clean Boot, Safe Mode...

Cannot Enter Safe Mode / Computer boots normally

I'm running Win 10 Pro 1903.

Here are the steps I have taken to get into safe mode: Start button, settings, update and security, recovery, advanced startup, troubleshoot, advanced options, startup settings, restart. The computer boots normally, not in safe mode. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advance for your help and interest. .

coopfab, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update Error: 0x80070490. SFC, DISM, Update Troubleshooter, Clean Boot, Safe Mode...

1. Windows Update Error: 0x80070490. SFC, DISM, Update Troubleshooter, Clean Boot, Safe Mode... - Similar Threads - Update Error 0x80070490

2. Windows update & Dism, Sfc not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update & Dism, Sfc not working: I am trying to update 2021-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB5003637. But while installing it says "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact...
  3. Can't boot, failed startup repair, uninstall updates/features, safe mode, SFC and DISM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot, failed startup repair, uninstall updates/features, safe mode, SFC and DISM: Hello, I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately. At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and Win10 won't boot. From now on, Win10 just won't boot, but fails...
  4. Windows 10 Update Error 0x80070490

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Error 0x80070490: I was trying to get my PC to update windows 10 1809 up to 1909. But all the updates just have 0x80070490. Looking for steps to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-error-0x80070490/e6bdf233-355d-4dd8-8c0d-67a448a6ec32
  5. Problems with SFC, Dism and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problems with SFC, Dism and Windows Update: Greetings! I have the following problem in progress. I try to update Windows and give error 0x8007025d, so when I run and SFC it stops at 57 percent. I wanted to do an inplace to solve the problem however, MediaCreationTool1909 returns me that I have to update to 2004, but...
  6. DISM -- SFC -- Windows Update -- Error corrupt files .net 3.5 update error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM -- SFC -- Windows Update -- Error corrupt files .net 3.5 update error: Good afternoon everyone, I have installed a clean install of windows 10 pro. The .net and Windows 10 1909 update are failing to install. DISM and sfc are not working giving errors. I've tried doing DISM pulling from online and from the win10 source, enabled it in programs and...
  7. Latest Win10 KB updates SFC/DISM errors

Latest Win10 KB updates SFC/DISM errors: So after latest two KB34/36 updates SFC find errors which cant fix and DISM restorehealth either. Code: 2016-08-25 14:24:31, Info DISM DISM.EXE: <----- Starting Dism.exe session -----> 2016-08-25 14:24:31, Info DISM DISM.EXE: 2016-08-25 14:24:31, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Host...
  8. SFC and DISM Errors

SFC and DISM Errors: So I was running an SFC /scannow And got the some files are corrupt but cannot be fixed etc. So I did the dism restore heath, and it can't find source. So I did the scan health, check health, reset Base, restore health from local esd source and limited access, changed...
  9. Strange-DISM SFC work in safe mode, but not in regular boot?

Strange-DISM SFC work in safe mode, but not in regular boot?: Curious where the issues could be. I posted last night that when I was trying to run DISM or SFC a small second window would appear and close and then the processs would not start at all. It would just sit there and do nothing. The other thing is I could not close those cmd...
  10. 0x80070490 Update Error

in Windows 10 Support
    0x80070490 Update Error: Today I tried to open Widows 10 money Icon and would not open. I went to Store and looked for updates, showed 2 that did not update due to the above error. I have run SFC no errors found. Ran reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v...
Tags: