Windows 10: Windows update failed - nothing works and I'm out of options

Discus and support Windows update failed - nothing works and I'm out of options in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys. This is my first question ever related to windows - over the many years I was able to do the research and solve the problem on my own - but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by micemincer, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Windows update failed - nothing works and I'm out of options

Hi guys.

This is my first question ever related to windows - over the many years I was able to do the research and solve the problem on my own - but this time it is a dead end.

I had windows 7 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro x64.

It was updating itself to a certain point, around the end of year 2018 the major update was unable to install - got an error in the updater - so I postponed it.

I got back to it a couple of days ago and was on version 1703 - couldn't update further due to update error.

After fiddling with it, resetting updater etc (nothing worked) I unpaused or just turned off the postpone of the update.

This somehow unclogged it and updates got installed (mainly security updates for office package).

Now I am on version 1709 build 16299.1087 and cannot install any updates due to an error.

The story is always the same: "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0x800700c1"

What I did so far (everything failed)

1. Resetting udpater via script (clearing download folder etc)
    2. sfc /scannnow - three time with reboots - it finds some hash mismatches in some files
    3. tried DISM - didn't worked - get an error 87
    4. Repaired boot manager (something like that) with:
      1. bootrec /RebuildBcd - couldn't find a file so nothing was done
      2. bootrec /fixMbr - fixed
      3. bootrec /fixboot - couldn't find something or so - nothing was done
    5. Used media creation tool and tried upgrade from there - it got to an 88% (it always does) and update failed.
    6. Downloaded windows upgrade - same as above - 88% and failed
    7. Finally - I created iso image with media creation tool - and tried install/upgrade windows from there - same as above - 88% and failed.
    8. Scanned system with malwarebytes, adaware, superbug etc - nothing found except of some old ad tracking cookies

Somewhere in between I was trying to do it manually via update catalog but what I found was that any update that is newer than April 2019 is not applicable for my system - so I gave up on this.

So basically nothing works (except of formatting the drive and clean install but that is the last resort and nod very welcome )

Installing from windows update always goes the same way - it installs to 35% - then it stalls for like 20 min - then proceeds and fails at 88% with error:

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0x800700c1"

EDIT 22.11.2019 - windows tried to update itself today to version 1909 - and it failed with the same error at 88%:

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 - Error 0x800700c1"

I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks and best regards to everyone,

Mac.

:)

micemincer, Nov 22, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 22, 2019
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Nov 22, 2019
  4. FX-GMC Win User

Windows update failed - nothing works and I'm out of options

Windows update failing

You could try the Windows Update troubleshooter. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

If that doesn't work then do this:

FX-GMC, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows update failed - nothing works and I'm out of options

1. Windows update failed - nothing works and I'm out of options - Similar Threads - update failed nothing

2. Nothing works in the BSOD advanced options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nothing works in the BSOD advanced options: Ever since September came, my laptop HP Pavilion x360 had started to slow down, hard. What I mean by that is that my taskbar kept disappearing every time I would open any application. So I uninstalled an update, as if I thought things would get better. But it had only gotten...
  3. Nothing works in the BSOD advanced options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nothing works in the BSOD advanced options: Ever since September came, my laptop HP Pavilion x360 had started to slow down, hard. What I mean by that is that my taskbar kept disappearing every time I would open any application. So I uninstalled an update, as if I thought things would get better. But it had only gotten...
  4. Windows Updates Not Working. Nothing works.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updates Not Working. Nothing works.: I did a earlier post about this, but I still didn't find any answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/my-windows-updates-arent-working-i-tried/43801185-3b2c-4325-9d01-ac344dc0907b I don't know what's going on, and I really need help if I...
  5. Windows Updates Not Working. Nothing works.

Windows Updates Not Working. Nothing works.: I did a earlier post about this, but I still didn't find any answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/my-windows-updates-arent-working-i-tried/43801185-3b2c-4325-9d01-ac344dc0907b I don't know what's going on, and I really need help if I...
  6. Windows Updates Not Working. Nothing works.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Nothing working on choose an option screen

Nothing working on choose an option screen: So I recently decided to do a complete Windows reset as my laptop was running very slow and browsers kept crashing. So I do. After 20 minutes, it gets to 92% and turns off but doesn't restart. I turn my laptop on, it gives me a choose an option screen. However, I cannot use...
  8. Nothing working on choose an option screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Nothing working on choose an option screen: So I recently decided to do a complete Windows reset as my laptop was running very slow and browsers kept crashing. So I do. After 20 minutes, it gets to 92% and turns off but doesn't restart. I turn my laptop on, it gives me a choose an option screen. However, I cannot use...
  9. Bluetooth stopped working, I tried everything and I'm out of options

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth stopped working, I tried everything and I'm out of options: Yesterday I turned on my PC (home computer, no restrictions from administrator) only to find that I was unable to connect to my Bluetooth devices. I ran through several troubleshooting methods and nothing is working. I have tried: Turning on Bluetooth through the Action...
  10. Stuck in advanced options - nothing works

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in advanced options - nothing works: Please help. I'm stuck in advanced options, with basically only the command prompt as a solution. I have backup files on HD, but won't recognise in system image recovery. How do I fix this to reinstall windows?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser

2. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>

3. PS C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>www.bing.com