Windows 10: Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder

Discus and support Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Having a bit of trouble with updates for Windows 10 Home OEM. First try (today) 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WinTenUser, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder

Having a bit of trouble with updates for Windows 10 Home OEM.

First try (today)
    2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4551762)
    We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x8007000d)

retry
    There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.
    2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4551762) - Error 0x800736b5

Yesterday when attempting to update, the error was different.

I'm certain the problem stems from my negligent attempt to relocate the SoftwareDistribution folder to an different drive.
    I wanted this because the HDD(onboard SSD chip) is too small, resulting in failing to update due to lack of HDD space.

What I did:
    1: create a target directory
    for example :
    D:\other\desired\location
    2: Ctrl+alt+delete>taskmanager>services>(right click on) wuauserv (then choose stop)
    3: Rename c:\windows\softwaredistribution
    this folder to softwaredistribution.old
    4: Run cmd as administrator and type this command then hit enter
    mklink /j c:\windows\softwaredistribution d:\other\desired\location
    ("d:\other\desired\location" u can type another location that existed on your hard drive or you can create in step 1 )

5: Type this command on Cmd and then hit enter
    net start wuauserv
    Or you can manually start service like step 2 !

somehow, after a restart and an attempt to update, the link to the new location of SoftwareDistribution folder was gone and a new actual folder in System32 was creates.

Sooooooooo, any help would be appreciated.

:)

WinTenUser, Mar 12, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Mar 12, 2020
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Windows update failing

You could try the Windows Update troubleshooter. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

If that doesn't work then do this:

FX-GMC, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder

Windows update daily? Ugh

Windows Update seems to be stuck trying to install a particular update, so this might be of use to you.

Click Start, then type "cmd" (without quotes). Right-click cmd then it comes up and hit "Run as Administrator". At the command prompt, type "net stop wuauserv" (again, without quotes), wait for it to say "The Windows Update service was stopped sucessfully" or words to that effect. Leave cmd running.

Navigate to C:\Windows (or whatever drive your OS is installed on), and delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder. Once that's done, go back to cmd and type "net start wuauserv" (without wuotes again) and wait for it to say "The Windows Update was started sucessfully" or words to that effect. Exit cmd.

Open Windows update, you will need to re-enable Microsoft Update as deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder resets Windows Update. Install any updates that come up and your problem *should* be fixed.

If not, all I can suggest is either downloading that patch manually and installing it, or just reinstall Windows.

Red_Machine, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder

1. Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder - Similar Threads - Update fails messing

2. C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\: So I'm trying to update some Realtek hardware but it is not working. I am getting the error: install error - 0x80070103What happens if I delete the Software Distribution folder in the C drive? Will it mess up my computer?...
  3. Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder: Dear Support,I accidentally deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder instead of the downloads forler inside of there while clearing caches.I did press skip on everything that popped up.I just wanna make sure if all it okay by asking this here.Or is it better to delete the...
  4. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete SoftwareDistribution folder: If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder can I still uninstall updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-softwaredistribution-folder/990eb5dc-1966-4e82-9bb3-ee8da3a39e54
  5. Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.: [ATTACH] Hello, I'm having an issue in which according to settings, the updates are taking 4.04 GB of space. Is there any way to clean it? I already checked SoftwareDistrubition/Download and it's empty there. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you....
  6. SoftwareDistribution folder w/ MS genuine content ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution folder w/ MS genuine content ?: Hi, How can I be sure that c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder receives only certified MS content ( Windows Updates and alike )? Or can this folder's content be tampered somehow ( even theoretically ) ? Just a thought *Think Thank you for taking your time to read this....
  7. Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error: I have been using Windows 10 and I need to install a cumulative update (with standalone installer) to the system. However, as the memory of hard drive is only 32gb, more space is needed and it is not possible for me to free up the drive. Therefore, I changed the...
  8. SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive

SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive: ​Since the Win10 Anniversary update, I have a duplicate SoftwareDistribution folder on my B drive (which is where I store all my files). There is the regular SoftwareDistribution folder under c:/Windows plus a SoftwareDistribution.old folder, both of which have half a dozen...
  9. SoftwareDistribution Folder

SoftwareDistribution Folder: ]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files. Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space? The figure below shows how much is in the folder. Thanks for any help. [img] 15686
  10. Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder.: Can we delete all folders and files in the above folder? 37643

Users found this page by searching for:

1. access denied rename catroot2