Windows 10: Windows Update Fails

Discus and support Windows Update Fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I give up. I cannot get Windows 10 to update. Tried all the fixes, troubleshooters etc. Nothing works. This is a problem with the update process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DennisTowell, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Windows Update Fails

I give up. I cannot get Windows 10 to update. Tried all the fixes, troubleshooters etc. Nothing works. This is a problem with the update process itself. Microsoft, please let us know when you have fixed it.

:)

DennisTowell, Dec 6, 2018
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Dec 6, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Windows Update Fails

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update Fails

1. Windows Update Fails - Similar Threads - Update Fails

2. Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes': Seriously, I've tried everything. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64/bit on a stock Dell XPS 8930. I have read all the forums and performed all the voodoo tricks to get this stupid 1803 update to load, but it craps out with various error messages: problems booting, problems with...
  3. My Window 10 Updates Are Failing

My Window 10 Updates Are Failing: I am currently stuck with Windows 10 version 1703. I have signed up for the Windows 10 Insider Previews and the last three updates have failed after automatic reboot attempts, leaving my computer in the bios setup screen. Exiting the bios screen and resetting with and...
  4. KB4471324 install fails. Would like to update to 1809 from full instal

KB4471324 install fails. Would like to update to 1809 from full instal: I have seem many failed attempts to install KB4471324 so I would like to bypass this and update to 1809 from a 1809 full install dvd made from an ISO download (64bit). Is this advisable and will my apps and activation still exist? 123587
  5. KB4471324 install fails. Would like to update to 1809 from full instal

in Windows 10 Support
    KB4471324 install fails. Would like to update to 1809 from full instal: I have seem many failed attempts to install KB4471324 so I would like to bypass this and update to 1809 from a 1809 full install dvd made from an ISO download (64bit). Is this advisable and will my apps and activation still exist? 123587
  6. Windows 10 Feature Update 1809 Failed to Install - 0x80240034

Windows 10 Feature Update 1809 Failed to Install - 0x80240034: I got a Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop earlier this year and had worked fine up until the 1803 feature update last May that made my laptop horrendously slow with slow start-up times (startup times prior to the update was 30-40 seconds) and 100% disk usage even when my hard drive...
  7. Updates are failing

Updates are failing: Whenever I am trying to update my PC [windows 10 32 bit] there is an error occurring every time. It says:- 2018-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x86-based Systems (KB4471324) - Error 0xc8000442...
  8. after failed win 10 update need help

after failed win 10 update need help: Yesterday I too had the win10 update failure. and I had the blue screen of death. after playing with this computer for several hours I finally got flustered and got a usb chip and reloaded win 10 but all my programs and files are in a folder marked old.win . Now my...
  9. KB4471324 update failed with error code 0x800f0922

KB4471324 update failed with error code 0x800f0922: This was the 2018-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803. What is the error, and should I try to fix something or just wait it out and keep trying? This update failed on my PC and completely crashed my Lap Top....
  10. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fails

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fails: I have two PC's, (a desktop & a notebook) both have Intel chipsets and are current at Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1803, build 17134.471. When doing a windows update to version 1809 it downloads the feature then gives me an error message, then after a few minutes it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update fail