Windows 10: Windows Update Failure - Tried Everything

Discus and support Windows Update Failure - Tried Everything in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, So I have been having major issues with my PC for several months now. I currently have installed Windows 10 home and for as long as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NM28734, Sep 25, 2018.

1. NM28734 Win User

Windows Update Failure - Tried Everything

Hi Everyone,

So I have been having major issues with my PC for several months now. I currently have installed Windows 10 home and for as long as I can remember the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 has been failing every time. The update manages to download onto my PC fine but when a restart is required it always freezes and the PC requires a hard reset, resorting in rolling back to previously installed Windows. I have tried everything, including:

• Troubleshoot 'Fix problems with Windows Update' and Windows Update Troubleshooter: Consistently says to 'Repair Windows Update Database Corruption' - repairs but it is obviously not repaired because every time I re-run the troubleshooter it repairs it again and again. It 'fixes' the following:
    1. Some Security settings are missing or have been changed
    2. Service registration is missing or corrupt
    3. Potential Windows Update Database error detected
    4. Windows Update components must be repaired
    • Servicing Stack Update (SSU): I have tried downloading the SSU (KB4090914) - When I had version 1709 from the Windows Update Catalogue and it initialises the installation and then is stuck 'installing 1 of 1' for hours. I have tried this for critical 1603 updates also.
    • Fixing Windows File Corruptions: Tried the command 'DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth', completes successfully and then I run the 'sfc /scannow' and it comes up with no integrity violations. I have tried this step several times.
    • Performed an 'In-Place' Upgraded: I have download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) and used it to perform an “in-place upgrade” of Windows 10. The download works fine on the computer but when it comes to restart to finish installing updates, the PC freezes for well over 24 hours and requires a hard reset.
    • Tried to perform a Clean install of Windows 10: Downloaded the Windows 10 Start Fresh Tool and used it to perform a clean install of Windows 10. This worked to remove all files and programs but the upgrade still will not work on my PC due to all the issues mentioned above.
    • I have also tried renaming the Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders several times and deleting their contents also.

Originally I had installed version 1709 but after finally managing to do a system reset and remove everything it turned my PC back to version 1603 and I am still having the same problems updating - I am so frustrated, please help!

:)

NM28734, Sep 25, 2018

2. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Sep 25, 2018
  3. Mike-Th Win User
    Windows Update failure with error 0x80070002

Thanks Jessen,

I have tried all the steps suggested to no avail as I have been browsing all similar failures and tried the suggested solutions. The Windows Update service appears to work ok as all other updates are ok.

It may help if I someone could explain the meaning of the failure message.

When I tried the USB method it failed in a similar way suggesting that there was something wrong with the Windows Product Key. It may help that at sometime in the past the system was restored after a failure. On some forums I have seen comments that if the
    key is not perfect then the upgrade will not work.

Mike

Mike-Th, Sep 25, 2018
  4. Windows Update Failure - Tried Everything

Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

No, the license only applies to the Windows 8 OEM copy the original owner purchased with laptop, it doesn't magically transform into Windows 8.1 Retail one.

OK, so here's the commonly recommended steps that should help you with your problem.

Before you begin, I would recommend you to download both of these files and save them on your USB drive in order to use it later as the only source of third-party packages:
    1. The first step would be to recover the original Windows installation using your hard drive partition (the thing that you've done before, I believe). Follow the steps described here (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03544793#N258) and see if you missed anything. By the end of this operation, make so that your HP product is not connected to any sort of network.

2. Configure your HP device to boot in "clean" mode as described here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135). Restart once.

3. Run the first file you've downloaded (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67259.exe) from your just-recovered Windows copy and follow the steps required.

4. Run the AMD package (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug.exe). Choose the "Advanced" installation option in order to be able to opt-out the "AMD/Raprt App" and "HydraVision" packages.

5. Establish an Internet connection. Run "Windows Store" tile from your Start screen, and select "Windows 8.1" package.

6. Once you're done with your migration from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you can install all the critical updates offered by Windows Update, which would be driver software, then Windows 8.1 Update package (KB2919442 > KB2919355 > KB2932046 > KB2959977 > KB2937592 > KB2938439 > KB2934018), "August" Update (KB2993651 > KB2975719 > KB2993100 > KB2979582 > KB2990532 > KB2995004) and .NET Framework 4.5.2 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642).

Constantine Yevseyev, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update Failure - Tried Everything

1. Windows Update Failure - Tried Everything - Similar Threads - Update Failure Tried

2. Windows 10 Won't Update & I tried Everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Won't Update & I tried Everything: For quite a while I've had a problem where my Windows won't update to any newer version, and currently I'm stuck with Version 1809. I've tried using the System File Checker, which it itself won't finish and will say it was unable to do anything at a certain percentage. I...
  3. Windows 10 Won't Update & I tried Everything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Won't Update & I tried Everything: For quite a while I've had a problem where my Windows won't update to any newer version, and currently I'm stuck with Version 1809. I've tried using the System File Checker, which it itself won't finish and will say it was unable to do anything at a certain percentage. I...
  4. windows optional updates not working tried everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows optional updates not working tried everything: windows optional updates not working tried everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-optional-updates-not-working-tried/ed7aaf31-7c75-429c-859b-ec5ff1c3049a
  5. windows optional updates not working tried everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows optional updates not working tried everything: windows optional updates not working tried everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-optional-updates-not-working-tried/ed7aaf31-7c75-429c-859b-ec5ff1c3049a
  6. 20H2 Update Installation Failure, I have tried everything

20H2 Update Installation Failure, I have tried everything: Hello, I have been trying for a few months to download this update, and it simply won't. I'll give you the exact details, and then attempt to recall what methods I've tried of fixing it. I do not wish to use the media creation tool or anything like that, by the way.I click,...
  7. Windows Update failure ive tried everything windows support team is not helpful

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update failure ive tried everything windows support team is not helpful: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AlexHitDem [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mmiacu/windows_update_failure_ive_tried_everything/
  8. CANNOT UPDATE WINDOWS TRIED LITERALLY EVERYTHING

CANNOT UPDATE WINDOWS TRIED LITERALLY EVERYTHING: "We couldn't complete the update undoing changes" Is the message I have seen every time I try to update my pc to ----> Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems KB4549951 Also for some reason only every second or third restart I get the option to...
  9. Windows Update Unresponsive - Have tried everything

Windows Update Unresponsive - Have tried everything: Hello all. Windows is refusing to update, the window freezes when I try to enter any other setting in the windows update window, advanced settings, change active hours, pause updates, etc. The error code I always get is: 0x80080005 I have tried Windows Update...
  10. Failure when trying to update

Failure when trying to update: Hi, We have been trying to update both desktop HP and Laptop HP and both get the same error message. 0x80070570 Current version is 1511 (OS Build 10586.1176) on both. So, we can't update or install security patches. All help appreciated....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update major failure

2. windows update failure tried everything