Windows 10: Windows Update Failure. With inability to perform PC reset or recovery.

Discus and support Windows Update Failure. With inability to perform PC reset or recovery. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer has been having issues trying to install updates since the Nov. 13, 2018 - KB4467702 update for Windows 10 version 1803. Although all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stephen K Russell, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Windows Update Failure. With inability to perform PC reset or recovery.

My computer has been having issues trying to install updates since the Nov. 13, 2018 - KB4467702 update for Windows 10 version 1803. Although all following updates are similarly affected. The issues range from failing at the update initializing point, downloading, and/or installing point. I receive error codes such as 0x80073712 and 0x80070002. However, sometimes I have no error code just a message saying the update failed. I have tried running the update troubleshooter which will say it fixed issues butwith no effect on the issue. I have also attempted the troubleshooting in the Microsoft support section for update issues to no avail. I have attempted to run command prompt sfc /scannow but it gives the response, "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". I also attempt to run command prompt DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth but it gives me "Error 14098 The component store has been corrupted". Additionally, I am unable to perform a reset or recovery as both fail when attempted and say no changes were made. I have also been unable to perform an upgrade or re-install using the windows 10 installation media as the process will either hang or fail at some point in the process. And last but not least I have attempted to manually download and install the updates but that also does not work.

I apologize if this was a bit much to read and if I missed a key piece of info that might help narrow down the issue but would like to thank anyone in advance for any advice or help they might have.

:)

Stephen K Russell, Dec 23, 2018

2. Missing Recovery Environment

Hi Alan,

Here is a link containing several useful suggestions to help you recover Windows 10. Since the error message that you got tells you to insert your Windows installation or recovery media. We suggest the perform the steps listed under
    Use a recovery drive to restore or reset your PC or you can also follow the steps under
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC. Please see the link below for more details:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Dec 23, 2018
  3. Unable to perform reset on the device from CD as it fails on Windows 10

Hi Abdelrahman,

Thank you posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the Windows 10 operating system. Do not worry, we will be happy to help you.

Let us know the additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• From when are you facing this issue?
    • How have you installed Windows 10?
    • What is the complete error message when you try to perform Reset
      on your computer/ re-install the apps?
    • Were you able to access any other CD normally on your computer?

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to
    Run check disk (chkdsk) and check if it helps.

Chkdsk: The
    Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state. Proceed at your own risk.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    • You may be asked whether to schedule this volume to be checked next time when you restarts (Y/N).
    • Press Y key on the keyboard and press
      Enter key.
    • Restart the computer and check.

Once you perform check disk, I suggest you manually try to reset the PC with in the Windows and check if it helps.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform a Reset on your computer and check if it helps.

Note: While performing reset on your PC, I suggest you to choose "Keep my files" as this will not affect the data on your computer.

Follow the below:

• Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard, type
      Control and press Enter.

• Click on Recovery, click on
      If you're having problems with your PC, go to Settings and try resetting it.

• Click on Get started
      under Reset this PC, click on Keep my files and follow onscreen instructions.

Refer: Recovery options in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and with the required information for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 23, 2018
  4. Windows Update Failure. With inability to perform PC reset or recovery.

Unable to perform reset.

Hi Robert,

To help you better, share the information;
    - When you performed the reset, did you choose the option to “keep all files” or “remove” everything”?

I suggest you to perform the reset again using an installation media and check if it helps.

Follow the steps given in the help article below under the section use installation media to reset or restore your pc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Disclaimer: If you choose the option to “keep all files”, everything will be removed except your personal files while the other option will remove everything including your personal files. Choose the option appropriately.

Try the above steps and let us know the result.

Regards,

Pratiksha Devadiga, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update Failure. With inability to perform PC reset or recovery.

1. Windows Update Failure. With inability to perform PC reset or recovery. - Similar Threads - Update Failure inability

2. PC BSOD when performing reset from recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC BSOD when performing reset from recovery drive: Hi,Today I tried to fully reset my pc from a recovery usb, but when doing so it gives me a BSOD after 15% or so. It says ntfs.sys failed. I will provide more information once I get home, hopefully I can still access the mini dump. Good thing to know is, i am running dev beta...
  3. PC BSOD when performing reset from recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC BSOD when performing reset from recovery drive: Hi,Today I tried to fully reset my pc from a recovery usb, but when doing so it gives me a BSOD after 15% or so. It says ntfs.sys failed. I will provide more information once I get home, hopefully I can still access the mini dump. Good thing to know is, i am running dev beta...
  4. Failure to perform a PC Reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to perform a PC Reset: I am attempting to reset my PC so that the only thing on it is Windows but when I tried to reset it I received an error message and the reset fails. I ran a ScanNow in CMD and received the following message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to...
  5. Failure to perform a PC Reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failure to perform a PC Reset: I am attempting to reset my PC so that the only thing on it is Windows but when I tried to reset it I received an error message and the reset fails. I ran a ScanNow in CMD and received the following message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to...
  6. Windows 10 reset/repair/recovery failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reset/repair/recovery failure: Hello All, After installing driver updates USB controllers and restarting my PC, I was greeted with the blue screen startup error, which shut down my PC. My computer automatically booted up the recovery menu but I have been unable to successfully use many of the available...
  7. PC reset failure

PC reset failure: Hello all, I'm somewhat of a gamer, so when one of my favorites ceased to properly function, naturally I was distraught and went searching for answers. All of the solutions I was able to find online produced inconclusive results. Left with very few options, I made an...
  8. Failure to reset pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Failure to reset pc: Hey guys, so yesterday upon starting up my PC I noticed it was coming up as a black screen with a cursor. Well, after research I had tried literally everything it suggests to do. Even down to trying to reset my PC. The issues: it wouldn’t boot to safe mode, cmd for hard drive...
  9. PC reset failure

PC reset failure: Hello. I decided to reset my whole PC since I just wanted a fresh start. When I did that, I left for just a few minutes and when I came back it said that it failed to reset the computer. So I just clicked start Windows 10. After that, it's been looping and I can't really...
  10. Recovery - Reset this PC

Recovery - Reset this PC: Hi guys, Is there any way to automate the setup after resetting the PC with the option "Remove everything". I´m looking for something like installing a remote control tool or execute some scripts. Thank you....