Windows 10: Windows Update Forces Me to Unplug External HD or Freezes

Discus and support Windows Update Forces Me to Unplug External HD or Freezes in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For the past several updates, including the one that finished this morning, I must unplug my external HD for Windows Update to make it past the PC's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by THBosley, Mar 14, 2019.

1. THBosley Win User

Windows Update Forces Me to Unplug External HD or Freezes

For the past several updates, including the one that finished this morning, I must unplug my external HD for Windows Update to make it past the PC's loading screen. As soon as I unplug it, the update goes on to the configuration countdown and boots up normally.

When I first had this issue (that the PC would not boot up during an update) last fall I found (somewhere online) a suggestion that the issue was the external HD and that is how I found the manual fix. However, I cannot find that post and am now looking for a permanent fix that does not require me to crawl around on the floor.

Any help?

:)

THBosley, Mar 14, 2019

2. External HD Connection Problem

I have attached an external HD to my computer running Windows 10 and it will not show up in my drive list. The properties shows it as Seagate.ink - what is an ink file and any suggestions as to how I can get it to work?

ColleenTreacy, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    EXTERNAL HD

Hello,

To better assist you with connecting your external Hard Drive to your device, we appreciate it if you can answer the following questions:

• Have you checked the status of the drive in Device Manager?
    • Have you tried updating the driver?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest running Microsoft easy fix by going to this link:

Find and fix problems with devices and hardware

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Mar 14, 2019
  4. wt_lesny Win User

Windows Vista Wont Install Freezes?

had the same problem, freezes and long installation including each step loading, in my case a bios update helped.

wt_lesny, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Update Forces Me to Unplug External HD or Freezes - Similar Threads - Update Forces Unplug

2. PC Freezes forcing me to manually restart it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Freezes forcing me to manually restart it: My pc specs: OS: Windows Pro 20H2Intel i9 10900KRTX 3080 8GB Vram32GB RamMy pc freezes forcing me to restart it manually. At first i thought it was a problem related to League of Legends running in the background, because everytime the crashes happens the game is running so...
  3. PC Freezes forcing me to manually restart it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Freezes forcing me to manually restart it: My pc specs: OS: Windows Pro 20H2Intel i9 10900KRTX 3080 8GB Vram32GB RamMy pc freezes forcing me to restart it manually. At first i thought it was a problem related to League of Legends running in the background, because everytime the crashes happens the game is running so...
  4. PC Freezes forcing me to manually restart it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Freezing Computers To Force Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Freezing Computers To Force Updates: I've noticed this on atleast 6 different forced updates from microsoft. We all know how these unneeded updates are forced on everyone who uses windows, but lately we've been given false hope. Microsoft recently has acted like you have a choice on when to update. That's simply...
  6. Screen freezes and forces me to restart

Screen freezes and forces me to restart: I'm not to sure why it freezes. The PC has quite regularly done this, ever since I got it and mostly while playing games. I made sure all the drivers were up to date with DriverEasy, but it still manages to freeze. Is there something I missed? Reliability history and event...
  7. Computer freezes up, forcing me to reboot.

Computer freezes up, forcing me to reboot.: Dear Sirs, I have now for a few weeks suffered from Windows 10 freezing up when playing War Thunder through Steam. Occasionally I have recieved a BSOD but 95% of the time it is only a freeze followed by two failed attempts to log in to Windows freeze again at windows start...
  8. External HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HD: External HD is recognized but does not appear in My Computer on Windows 10 PRO system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hd/d98debb3-1b03-42de-9643-d5d53ad30a5e
  9. Computer randomly freezes and forces me to restart.

Computer randomly freezes and forces me to restart.: So I've had this random freeze crash for a while now. It happens entirely at random, sometimes while I'm gaming and sometimes just while I'm sitting on my desktop with nothing open. The biggest annoyance is that I recently just wiped my hard drive and completely reset my...
  10. External HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HD: 1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD? 16269