Windows 10: Windows Update, free will and probably no skill

Discus and support Windows Update, free will and probably no skill in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, There are always a lot of debates going on about free will. We often find ourselves in situations where we make choices, which comes with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SSP199, Aug 8, 2018.

1. SSP199 Win User

Windows Update, free will and probably no skill

Hello,

There are always a lot of debates going on about free will. We often find ourselves in situations where we make choices, which comes with responsibilities and will often lead to credit or blame. As an owner of my own personal computer, I could (if I wanted to) throw it from the balcony and no one would stop me. If someone saw me about to throw my computer off the balcony, they would probably tell me that it is not a good idea, and that I'm going to regret it. This is where free will comes in, as I get to choose if I'd like to destroy my computer or not. Windows Update, on the other hand, does not let you make your own decisions based on what you want, over your very own computer and OS. From here and out, I'll refer to Windows Update as WU.

Back in June when summer started, WU started asking me to restart my computer to install updates. I'm an expert when it comes to delaying updating, as I will always hit one of the options to schedule it in 4 days, remind me in 24 hours or whatever. Some days passed, and there would be less options, and in the end I could only choose "ask me again in 1 hour". This resulted in me being tabbed out from whatever I was doing every hour (which is really annoying when playing a fullscreen game), and I got really tired of it, so I figured it was time to take the damn update. I was checking in on the screen every now and then saying "36% Do not turn off your computer" and this circle moving round and round. Eventually it would reach 100%, but the circle would be frozen and nothing would happen. To me 100% means 100%, but I know that this is not the situation in the world of technology, because downloads, videos buffering and so on always takes a little longer after it says 100%. After waiting for a while and nothing happened, I decided to go for the big button and force the shut down. My computer would start again, but soon enough it started with the updates again, and if I'd like to do it now or to be reminded in an hour. This repeated itself like 5 times, before I decided to get rid of WU. I disabled it from startup processes, I turned off every automatic update setting I could find, I looked for the folder in Windows32 and deleted it, but guess what. WU can't be stopped. Now, two months later after coming home from vacations, I got annoyed again and started the update before I went to bed. When I woke up the next day my computer was still running on full power, no sleep mode. I started clicking the mouse and the keyboard, but there was no reaction, the screen was black. I restarted it, got past the options to enter the BIOS or setup, and then my computer screen would go black again. And you know what they say; "Once you go black, you never go back". This happened many times in a row, I tried to start my computer from the different hard drives in it with no luck. After countless times of restarting it, I was automatically lead to this new screen saying that something was wrong, and giving me options on what to do. I went with the "reset computer to an earlier stage" or whatever it said. Now I had the option to delete everything, and if I wanted to I could also "rinse" it, but it could take some hours. I decided to do it anyways, feeling like it was time for a fresh start. When it finally finished and restarted, it gets to the point with the Windows logo saying "Welcome" before an error message pops up and says "Can't finish the installation. Restart your computer to install Windows on this unit". This error message has only one option, which is to click "OK". And when you click it, the computer reboots and it goes to the same point with the same error message, every time.

Windows update is very much like John Wick. Once he comes for you, he can't be stopped. He will get you, just like WU in the end, got my computer. It doesn't work anymore. If I knew that this would have been the result, I could have thrown it from the balcony. Would have saved me a lot of time and frustration, and it would have been by free will. I find it rather weird that I can't control the computer I have bought, which is mine, with the OS I bought. If I want to delete or disable Windows Update, I should be able to. Yes, I might be more vulnerable to different threats, but as I mentioned in the beginning; choices comes with responsibilties and leads to credit or blame. If I got a virus which could have been prevented by an update, I would be responsible for it, and I could only blame myself. Can't remember last time I had a virus though, and that's not because of the updates, it's by using common sense.

If anyone has a quickfix, a way to stop WU/John Wick or an answer to why I can't make my own decisions over my own computer I'd be happy to hear it

:)

SSP199, Aug 8, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Update, free will and probably no skill :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Aug 8, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft announces Cortana Skills Kit in public preview

See:

Brink, Aug 8, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update, free will and probably no skill - Similar Threads - Update free probably

2. Blue Screen probably after windows update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen probably after windows update.: I got a Blue Screen today. I was on YouTube through Chrome browser. I have windows 11. Updated from Windows 10 in October 2023 I got windows update notification 2 days back. There was an update for Nvidia graphics card. I went ahead with the update as I have not faced any...
  3. Microsoft Cloud Skill Challenge

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Cloud Skill Challenge: I completed this challenge and I received the email to redeem the free certification exam. I click 'Claim Now', then on the next page I click 'eligible exams', after that I select 'AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator', on the next page I scroll down and click on 'Schedule...
  4. Microsoft Cloud Skill Challenge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Cloud Skill Challenge: I completed this challenge and I received the email to redeem the free certification exam. I click 'Claim Now', then on the next page I click 'eligible exams', after that I select 'AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator', on the next page I scroll down and click on 'Schedule...
  5. Microsoft Cloud Skill Challenge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. FreeCell Levels and skills

in Windows 10 Customization
    FreeCell Levels and skills: In FreeCell how is the digital level determined and what assigns the various skills? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freecell-levels-and-skills/9a254dd7-f34a-425f-bb21-859713fc9daa
  7. Announcing Windows Vision Skills (Preview)

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows Vision Skills (Preview): Today, we’re announcing the preview of Windows Vision Skills, a set of NuGet packages that make it easy for application developers to solve complex computer vision problems using a simple set of APIs. [ATTACH] Figure 1- From left to right, you are seeing in action the...
  8. Cortana unchecks spotify in skills

in Cortana
    Cortana unchecks spotify in skills: so ive had my windows PC for over a year and for that time i've had cortana disabled (for obvious reasons) but i got spotify premium a bit ago and now im trying to connect it to cortana so i can just yell out for it to change a song and such. so i've linked my account with...
  9. Windows Update Not Working And Probably Far Behind in updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Not Working And Probably Far Behind in updates: I've tried to update for the few past months and still can't get it to update I've tried all the CMDs commands and the troubleshooting repairs All of them don't work...
  10. Step up your Cloud skills at free Microsoft TechSummit near you

in Windows 10 News
    Step up your Cloud skills at free Microsoft TechSummit near you: [img] The cloud is changing expectations – and transforming the way we live and work. Learn how Microsoft’s cloud platform can help you lead your organization through real digital transformation – and shape your future. Ready to discover the latest trends, tools, and...