Windows 10: Windows update freezes @ varying percent, requiring holding power button. Persists across...

Discus and support Windows update freezes @ varying percent, requiring holding power button. Persists across... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When attempting to perform a windows update, the update will freeze, typically around the 80% mark. This is most noticeably marked by the spinning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ian_Kendall, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Windows update freezes @ varying percent, requiring holding power button. Persists across...

When attempting to perform a windows update, the update will freeze, typically around the 80% mark. This is most noticeably marked by the spinning circle no longer moving. I have attempted leaving it at this point for several days to no avail. Upon holding the power button to turn it off, when turning on again it will continue from a lower percent (typically around 30%) and freeze again around 80% in the same manner described previous. Upon another power cycle it will undo the update. As noted in the title, this has persisted both across different windows installs, hard drive formats, and hard drives, possibly indicating a problem with some other piece of hardware. This has become especially painful of late because Windows has fallen so far out of date that it alerts me every hour that it needs to update, either getting in the way of what I'm doing or beginning an (inevitably failing) update. It may be important to note that this same cycle also occurs when updating some softwares, such as my graphics card through Radeon settings, or when updating Java.

I am currently saving money in order to upgrade my computer once more, replacing all other parts of it, which will hopefully solve the problem. Until then however, ideally this problem could be solved, allowing me to keep my computer up to date. If this isn't possible, however, a way of blocking Windows Update notifications would also be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to my DxDiag System Information.

Please let me know if you require any more information. Thanks in advance!

:)

Ian_Kendall, Feb 17, 2019
  2. Hrodberht Win User

Windows update fails at 82 percent consistently

I have been having trouble with Windows update failing repeatedly for several months. Every time I restart to complete installing an update, the computer prepares the update, shuts down, and restarts normally, but when it is installing the updates, it stops
    at around 82% every time. The circle on the screen freezes, and it stays this way for up to 24 hours. Normally at that point, I hold the power button on my desktop to force it to restart. Then it says it's restoring the previous version of windows. The next
    time I attempt to update my PC, the same thing happens. Is there anything I can do to stop this and complete the updates? I have been researching this problem online but haven't found any solutions that worked.

I tried the steps listed here, but they didn't work for me: windows 10 update stuck at 82 percent for two days

When I entered the commands listed at the above link, I got a message that said "System Error 5 has occured. Access is denied."

Hrodberht, Feb 17, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Windows update freezes @ varying percent, requiring holding power button. Persists across...

Windows 10 shutdown power still light and fan still working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the laptop will not shutdown completely. We will help you.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps you.

• Remove all the externally connected devices and cables including the battery.
    • Hold the power button for about a minute and release the power button.
    • Connect only the power cable and power on the PC.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows update freezes @ varying percent, requiring holding power button. Persists across...

1. Windows update freezes @ varying percent, requiring holding power button. Persists across... - Similar Threads - update freezes varying

2. PC Constantly Freezing, have to hold power button to force power off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Constantly Freezing, have to hold power button to force power off: Hello,My computer has had this issue for the longest time, but is becoming more and more frequent. Whenever I load into a game call of duty, Assassins Creed, etc. after 5-10 minutes of playing, my entire pc becomes completely frozen and I have to hold the power button for it...
  3. PC Constantly Freezing, have to hold power button to force power off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Constantly Freezing, have to hold power button to force power off: Hello,My computer has had this issue for the longest time, but is becoming more and more frequent. Whenever I load into a game call of duty, Assassins Creed, etc. after 5-10 minutes of playing, my entire pc becomes completely frozen and I have to hold the power button for it...
  4. PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button: It started one day after i was done playing minecraft and my pc just froze and flashed colors at my face and i had to hold down the power button.Yes i've done SFC /scannow what ever it wasand dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth but both said "theres no corrupted files...
  5. PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button

PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button: It started one day after i was done playing minecraft and my pc just froze and flashed colors at my face and i had to hold down the power button.Yes i've done SFC /scannow what ever it wasand dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth but both said "theres no corrupted files...
  6. PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button: Hello, I was getting ready to sleep for the night and I told my little brother to hold down the power button on my hp all in one computer to turn it off and I saw that it wasn’t turning off and got confused and we were brought with a bsod that had an error code of...
  8. NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button

NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button: Hello, I was getting ready to sleep for the night and I told my little brother to hold down the power button on my hp all in one computer to turn it off and I saw that it wasn’t turning off and got confused and we were brought with a bsod that had an error code of...
  9. NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button

10. Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button

Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button: Hello,We just got a refurbished PC with Windows 10. It has a weird issue that I can not figure out.When you select to do a restart, the screen comes up that says "Restarting...", and then the monitor goes black, all the lights turn off, and you can not hear any sounds coming...