Windows 10: Windows Update has destabilized my computer completely.

Discus and support Windows Update has destabilized my computer completely. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Mac Mini 2018. Core i7. 16 GB RAM 256 GB SSD, married to a Razer Core X/Radeon VII. Running Catalyst 19.82. Windows 10 64 bit fully updated. All my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LizzyJ26, Sep 12, 2019.

1. LizzyJ26 Win User

Windows Update has destabilized my computer completely.

Mac Mini 2018. Core i7. 16 GB RAM 256 GB SSD, married to a Razer Core X/Radeon VII. Running Catalyst 19.82. Windows 10 64 bit fully updated. All my non-Windows PC apps/files were shoved into a TB3 SSD Drive. The Mac Mini was partitioned 50/50 Mac and Windows. Yesterday (9/11), Windows pushed a gaggle of updates to my machine. I let them update and the computer asked to restart except it never restarted. The system ran like a beastly dream for over 5 months.

The computer will only boot to a black screen when the egpu is now plugged in. When I restarted without the egpu, the computer lists a Base Station item in my device manager with an exclamation point and an inability to add a driver for it(uninstallation does nothing). My Radeon drivers were showing no egpu. I removed them with AMD's removal tool and reinstalled them but they won't reinstall now, even if the egpu is connected as it won't detect the graphics card.

If I try to boot with the egpu plugged in before boot (optimal setup that I used for over 5 months), the computer simply has a black screen and despite having the monitor piping directly to the Mini via HDMI, I get no screen display. If I boot without the egpu plugged in, it boots normally but I can't use the egpu, obviously. Moreover, Windows has stymied all attempts to remove the 2 of the offending updates. All four updates are:

Cumulative Update for 1903 KB4512508, KB4515384 plus a flash update KB3516115 and KB4514359. When I tried to remove the offending updates, the computer would tell me to restart and as I restarted, the updates would force themselves back on to my machine without approval as the removal restart occurred. Worse, even after I paused updates for 7 days and even DISCONNECTED my ethernet, the computer refused to give up and installed/partially damaged versions of the updates AGAIN. Currently, security update KB4514359 is installed with no uninstall option. (Should I use Admin wusa/dsim in Safe Mode?) and KB4515384 is damaged and refuses to uninstall. I have no doubt that if I could just ditch the last two updates, I could salvage the egpu without needing to reinstall bootcamp.

I need the computer for work though. What do I do? How do I nuke the partition without damaging my Mac install, install a new bootcamp install and only add the necessary updates? If so, how?

Thanks for any insights.

Oh and by the way, my system restore is disabled and all my snapshots are *gone*. So the update disabled and deleted my SR points. I'm really in a bind without help. All out of ideas.

:)

LizzyJ26, Sep 12, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Update has destabilized my computer completely. :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 12, 2019
  3. chispy Win User
    Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Windows Update has destabilized my computer completely.

Windows 10 "Couldn't complete updates"

Hi,

Thanks for the update and response.

I suggest you to go to Windows services and restart the Windows Update service and check if it helps. Follow the below steps to do so.

Steps:-

• Press Windows Key + R and type “services.msc” (without quotes)
    • Hit Enter.
    • Search for Windows Update service in the list.
    • Right Click on it and stop it.
    • Again right click on it and start it.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update has destabilized my computer completely.

1. Windows Update has destabilized my computer completely. - Similar Threads - Update has destabilized

2. Newest Windows update has completely bricked my computer. Is there any hope for me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newest Windows update has completely bricked my computer. Is there any hope for me?: Hello, I am desperate for help. Microsoft "support" has told has no known solution. Thank youIssue:Since the latest Windows update, my computer will not turn on.When attempting to power on, I receive the following error:"Boot Error: Couldn't find a bootable operating system....
  3. Newest Windows update has completely bricked my computer. Is there any hope for me?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newest Windows update has completely bricked my computer. Is there any hope for me?: Hello, I am desperate for help. Microsoft "support" has told has no known solution. Thank youIssue:Since the latest Windows update, my computer will not turn on.When attempting to power on, I receive the following error:"Boot Error: Couldn't find a bootable operating system....
  4. Windows 11 Update has completly frozen my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Update has completly frozen my computer: A few days ago I updated my new HP less than 2 mo. old to windows 11 and it was working fine. Today I got a notification that windows 11 needed to restart and indicated that would take about 5 minutes.More than 5 minutes passes and I finally get a message saying I can't be...
  5. Windows 11 Update has completly frozen my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Update has completly frozen my computer: A few days ago I updated my new HP less than 2 mo. old to windows 11 and it was working fine. Today I got a notification that windows 11 needed to restart and indicated that would take about 5 minutes.More than 5 minutes passes and I finally get a message saying I can't be...
  6. My computer will not complete updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer will not complete updates.: My computer keeps giving me error message when I try to get updates. I seem to be having issue with drivers and have uploaded the mini dump files to one drive with hopes that I get this issue resolved......
  7. Updates completely breaking my computer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Updates completely breaking my computer?: So, I've been having an issue lately. Every time my PC does an update according to event viewer, the last two times this has happened it was the "2020-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems" it will then refuse to boot up. Any attempt to turn...
  8. Microsoft update system has destroyed my computer completely

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft update system has destroyed my computer completely: Windows live update September-october 2020 drivers update and install failure with the 2004 version win 10 pro I had done the media creation took process and every other process thats been listed to sort it. I also had the nvidia geforce gtx970 vga card device drivers...
  9. Windows 10 Update 2004 has totally destabilized my computer hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update 2004 has totally destabilized my computer hard drives: Yesterday, August 5 2020, I installed the Windows 10 Update #2004 May and ever since then I have been having stabilization issues with my computer. I have 3 hard drives: - C: 512Gb m.2 NVME - D: 512Gb SSD drive for games - G: 256Gb SSD drive for games I keep my Steam...
  10. Completely unable to update my computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Completely unable to update my computer.: For the past couple of months, I haven’t been able to update my pc. I blew it off, then last night decided to try and fix it. I’ve tried EVERYTHING. Then I found the source of the problem. The “Bits” or “Background Intelligent Transfer Service” is... destroyed? I’ve tried...