Windows 10: Windows Update has locked out Admin account

Discus and support Windows Update has locked out Admin account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; The admin account on a single user machine which did not require a password to logon has been changed by an update this week to require a password... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by toolman59, Aug 29, 2015.

1. toolman59 Win User

Windows Update has locked out Admin account

The admin account on a single user machine which did not require a password to logon has been changed by an update this week to require a password which of course does not exist. The question is how can the Admin account be reset to allow access. There is a second non-admin account which boots without a password, but is of little use, because ther are none of apps etc that are contained in the admin account. The user does not have a Micrsoft account.
    This was originally an OEM pre-installed Win 7 Home version and was upgraded by Windows update.
    It is possible to setup a new account from the secondary account, the question is, how to replicate the admin account apps in a new admin account?

:)

toolman59, Aug 29, 2015
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 29, 2015
  3. What's this option in Windows Update

I think that Windows "Unlocks" your Admin Account to complete the update, then "Locks" the account again so that only the Administrator can access it with their password.

By default, Windows wants "you" the Administrator, to have at least two accounts -

1, your Admin Account

2, your User Account

During some updates, Windows completes the update by doing some Administrator Account work after the Log In screen appears, and someone has logged in.

When you or any other user logs in with a User Account, Windows then uses the Admin Account to finish off the update and then releases the Admin Account.

If you only have one account, because you are a lazy single user like me and don't want to be hassled by Windows every time you tinker around with the OS or add new programs etc. then you can get locked out of Windows.

If your machine is used to automatically run lots of critical stuff unattended, then they (the critical stuff) will stop working until you or any other user has logged in and the Admin Account has been released by Windows update.

The purpose of this switch is not to help lazy users like me to get away with not having a user account, but to ensure that mission critical operations are disrupted as little as possible during updates.

If I have misunderstood this in any way, I am sure that a Microsoft Professional will put me right very quickly!

Richard_I_Herbert, Aug 29, 2015
  4. McrRed Win User

There's a thread already covering this think... Try search? (I'm on my mobile so can't find it).

McrRed, Aug 29, 2015
  5. toolman59 Win User
    Since I opened this thread, I have found various solutions to this problem by manipulating the utilman.exe file from a cmd window via the installation DVD. They refer to utilman file being in windows/system32, however I have this file in two places winsxs and wow64. I am now confused as to which of the files is being used by the 64bit OS during bootup, my guess is the one in wow64, am I right?

toolman59, Aug 31, 2015
  6. toolman59 Win User
    Prior to writing my previous post, I used "Everything search engine" which I now find does not include any results from the system32 folder. A File explorer search of the system32 folder immediately located the utilman.exe file, my confusion has been resolved.

Regarding my original question regarding resetting the admin password, I have gathered some information, and now await the return of my nieghbour to see if the proposed solution works on his locked computer. If the recovery works I will post back the details.

toolman59, Sep 1, 2015
  7. toolman59 Win User
    Just after my last post, my neighbour informed me that he was back to normal with his Windows 10. His son had contacted Microsoft and they issued a login code/password that allowed him to login to his admin account.

The solution I had intended to try is still untested. If anyone is interested, have look at the attachment which is a copy of an article by isumshare

toolman59, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update has locked out Admin account - Similar Threads - Update has locked

2. Got Locked out of Admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got Locked out of Admin account: I have two accounts on my pc, admin and non admin A few days ago i was changing the pin of my admin account and later when i tried to log in, it saypid that its unable to setup pin and i need to use password which i completely forgot PLEASE HELPedit:I did try opening command...
  3. Got Locked out of Admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Got Locked out of Admin account: I have two accounts on my pc, admin and non admin A few days ago i was changing the pin of my admin account and later when i tried to log in, it saypid that its unable to setup pin and i need to use password which i completely forgot PLEASE HELP...
  4. Locked out of my admin accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of my admin accounts: Haven't used my Windows 10 Pro PC in a while and now somehow my admin accounts have been taken out of the Admin group. The only account in the Admin group is the Administrator user and it is disabled. How can I fix this? Did someone hack into my computer? It was turn off for...
  5. Locked out of my admin accounts

Locked out of my admin accounts: Haven't used my Windows 10 Pro PC in a while and now somehow my admin accounts have been taken out of the Admin group. The only account in the Admin group is the Administrator user and it is disabled. How can I fix this? Did someone hack into my computer? It was turn off for...
  6. Locked out of my admin accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Locked out of Admin

Locked out of Admin: I have to use Examplify for school but windows blocks it. In order to allow it to work I need to be able to turn off memory integrity under core isolation but this is blocked for me with the red text "The setting is managed by your administrator". How do I go around this to...
  8. Locked out of admin account with no password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Locked out of admin account with no password: I was an idiot and made my extra account with no password the admin account, so now I can do barely anything. My pc locked me out of the account due to having "the wrong password" but I never even set one. I can't do the startup menu hack since my pc has a broken screen and...
  9. Locked Out of Admin Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Locked Out of Admin Account: I have become locked out of my admin account because my password seems to have changed. I haven't used this account in a couple of years as I have a second account which I use regularly. Both accounts have the same password. I just noticed that my clock did not adjust for DST...
  10. Locked out of admin account in windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Locked out of admin account in windows 10: This is a very old PC (7-8 years old) and I've re-installed windows multiple times over the years. At some point, possibly when I installed windows 10 for the first time or maybe windows 7 before that I might have installed it in a new user rather then my admin account. I...