Windows 10: Windows update has renamed my profile to 'USER'

Discus and support Windows update has renamed my profile to 'USER' in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently had a terrible Windows Update that signed me into an account called 'user' and hid all my files from me. Somehow that fixed itself; however,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Comrade_Faust, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Windows update has renamed my profile to 'USER'

I recently had a terrible Windows Update that signed me into an account called 'user' and hid all my files from me. Somehow that fixed itself; however, despite being logged in under my e-mail, the computer considers me 'USER' with a blank picture despite having signed in.

When I click the account in the Start Menu it comes up as ASP.NET Machine Account. What is this and should I delete it?

submitted by /u/Comrade_Faust
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Comrade_Faust, Feb 24, 2023
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Feb 24, 2023
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Feb 24, 2023
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows update has renamed my profile to 'USER'

User Profile Service failed

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Copy the Default folder (in C:\Users) from another windows 10 computer.
    • Rename the Default folder to something like DefaultOLD (just to keep it for safety reasons).
    • Paste it in your Users folder.
    • To make sure that you won't have problems with permissions of the "implant" folder, just transfer it via a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick (those filesystems don't have permissions).

This will provide solution to the error User Profile Service failed.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 24, 2023
Thema:

Windows update has renamed my profile to 'USER'

1. Windows update has renamed my profile to 'USER' - Similar Threads - update has renamed

2. Windows Update corrupted my user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update corrupted my user profile: I have a PC that is seldom connected to the internet for security reasons there is no greater security than a machine that hackers have no access to but I needed to download a file so I plugged in the ethernet cable and turned the PC on after it booted up it had installed a...
  3. Windows Update corrupted my user profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update corrupted my user profile: I have a PC that is seldom connected to the internet for security reasons there is no greater security than a machine that hackers have no access to but I needed to download a file so I plugged in the ethernet cable and turned the PC on after it booted up it had installed a...
  4. Windows 10 User Profile Resets After Reboot After Renaming User

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 User Profile Resets After Reboot After Renaming User: I followed a tutorial on YouTube that showed me how to rename my Users folder name thru Registry Editor. After renaming, I restarted my PC and my computer was blank besides what was left over in my old Users profile. I copied and pasted all the files back onto my profile, but...
  5. Windows 10 Update has wiped out my domain user profile...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update has wiped out my domain user profile...: This is getting beyond a joke, three times in a month with varying degrees of destruction, three different computers.Anyway, here's the latest one todayWorking away, screen goes black and Windows 10 decides to do an update, installs the update restarts the computer, cleaning...
  6. my user profile has been corrupted while updating the windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my user profile has been corrupted while updating the windows: Hi Team,Please be informed that my user profile has been corrupted while hard reboot.I need to data retrieve entire profile data. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-user-profile-has-been-corrupted-while-updating/0c318607-b8f1-4035-b75d-c513e91bed98
  7. My user folder has been renamed. Why ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My user folder has been renamed. Why ?: Hi ! I recently discovered that my user folder has been renamed. Before it was C/Users/[My Name] but now, instead of My name there is the 5 first letters of my email. What happened ? Will there be a problem ? How do I get back to my old user folder name ? Thanks !...
  8. User Profile Rename

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Profile Rename: im currently using a windows 10 home os ( build 1809 ) and under the user folder it spelled my name wrong, i would like to know how do i rename the usesr folder? and by doing so will it affect any applications thats already installed in the device?...
  9. Renaming user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming user profile: My User Profile was created during the building of the computer by a 3rd party and now appears as C:\Users\OEM.DESKTOP-V87UE3B. How can I change this to reflect my name etc chux 120766
  10. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...