Windows 10: Windows Update has stalled at 90% for lasr 3 hours

Discus and support Windows Update has stalled at 90% for lasr 3 hours in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Today I was asked to update my Windows 10 on my laptop. When started, message said computer would restart several times and that update would take a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JacobPs, Feb 14, 2020.

1. JacobPs Win User

Windows Update has stalled at 90% for lasr 3 hours

Today I was asked to update my Windows 10 on my laptop. When started, message said computer would restart several times and that update would take a while to install. It took 40 minutes to get to 90%, but although the balls keep circling, it has remained at 90% for the last three hours.

Since I don't think an update would take so long since the original installation was shorter, can anyone suggest what I might do when the update seems to be in a loop?

I am writing this from my desktop.

:)

JacobPs, Feb 14, 2020
  2. Edcarcal Win User

Latest HTC Surround Update (7.10.8772.98) Repeatedly Stalls

The update proceeds to step 6 of 10 in Zune, and the update then stalls after phone restart with download icon on the phone screen (I have waited over an hour). During this time, the Cancel button becomes active on the Zune screen with no error messages.
    I have followed ALL of the troubleshooting procedures listed (including disk space checks) and can find no issues preventing the update. It SEEMS LIKE the phone is attempting to send stored data on the phone to a location on the computer,
    but that location is hidden, protected or does not exist.

I have contacted the service provider and HTC, and both say this is a Microsoft problem. I would appreciate knowing exactly what is supposed to be happening after phone update restart (step 6) so I can troubleshoot further, or any other suggestions. Please
    remember that I have tried ALL of the troubleshooting suggestions at the Windows Phone website!

Edcarcal, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Windows 10 update stall at 99%

Hi Trevor,

Please answer these question to assist you better.

When you say 'update to Windows 10 stalling at 99%' are you referring to upgrade to Windows 10 is stuck or unable to update Windows to different builds?

If your upgrade to Windows 10 Is stuck at 99% then refer the link below suggested by
    Ander Da Costa on May 6, 2016 and follow the steps suggested.

Upgrade to Windows 10 gets stuck at 99%

If you are referring to Windows updates then follow the steps and check.

Run the Update Troubleshooter on the computer.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Update. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Windows update.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Do let us know the status of the issue to assist you further. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 14, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Update has stalled at 90% for lasr 3 hours - Similar Threads - Update has stalled

2. Windows update taking 3 hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update taking 3 hours: title says it all, at the moment its been stuck restarting for 40 mins, is there anything i can do specs: gtx 1660, 16gb ddr4, mx500 m.2, ryzen 3 3200g submitted by /u/69pimp69 [link] [comments]...
  3. Windows 10 update has stalled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update has stalled: started update & computer is frozen on black screen for 18 hours. Can hear something running but can't get a screen op. Should I torn off & restart? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-has-stalled/2ca43742-3056-49b1-a936-16f7f53b8ac0
  4. Windows Update Stuck at 30% for 3 hours

Windows Update Stuck at 30% for 3 hours: I guess I recieved the latest feature update but it seems to be hung up. Been a 30% for a few hours now and not seeing my drive activity light blinking. Maybe once per minute. My OS is installed on an SSD. How long does this usually take? submitted by /u/bass_to_your_chord...
  5. Windows 10 update stalled at 90% for 10 hours

Windows 10 update stalled at 90% for 10 hours: Could someone help me please? I was in the process of installing the latest Windows 10 update which has stalled at 90% for about 10 hours. I am unable to interupt the update or even to power down....
  6. Update at 91% for 3 hours

Update at 91% for 3 hours: Turned the computer on at 5am. It's now 8am and the update has been at 91% for about 2 hours now. It force updated when my son turned it off last night. I have no idea what version or anything else. I just know it's windows 10. Is it normal for it to take this long? Should I...
  7. Windows 10 update stuck at 90% for 18 hours

Windows 10 update stuck at 90% for 18 hours: My wife's computer running windows 10 pro tried to do an update last night. It stopped at 90% and hasn't moved in over 18 hours. Any assistance would be great;y appreciated....
  8. My Windows update has been stuck at %90 for hours

My Windows update has been stuck at %90 for hours: My windows pc started updating unexpectedly while i was using it, it was a but slow and the start and began to ramp up in speed, but as soon as it hit 90 percent, about 30 minutes into the update, it hasnt gone anywhere, the loading circle is moving so its not frozen, and i...
  9. windows 10 update stalled at 90% for over 24 hours

windows 10 update stalled at 90% for over 24 hours: Windows update has stalled on one of my computers. All I see is a spinning wheel and notice that it's updating currently at 90%. It's been at 90% for more than 24 hours now and I can't get to any other screens to try the fixes that are suggested in response to other similar...
  10. windows 10 update hung up at 90% for many hours

windows 10 update hung up at 90% for many hours: My windows 10 update to a new supported version hung up at 90% for many hours. I finally killed the update with a hard reboot. What would you recommend?...