Windows 10: Windows Update has stopped checking for updates in Windows 1607

Discus and support Windows Update has stopped checking for updates in Windows 1607 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In the last month or so Windows Update has stopped checking for updates automatically in Windows 1607. I have Windows Update set to notify and usually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tracit99, Apr 12, 2017.

1. tracit99 Win User

Windows Update has stopped checking for updates in Windows 1607

In the last month or so Windows Update has stopped checking for updates automatically in Windows 1607. I have Windows Update set to notify and usually I would get a daily notification You need some updates. Usually there is a Windows Defender definition update waiting to be downloaded, but that has not be happening recently. Has anyone else on Windows 1607 seen this issue?

:)

tracit99, Apr 12, 2017
  2. jehill39 Win User

How may I stop Windows 10 from continuing to attempt the Version 1607 update?

It has been established that my 2007 vintage PC is not compatible with Windows Version 1607 because it is no longer supported by the manufacturer. Windows 10 continues to attempt to update my PC to Version 1607 even though Version 1607 has failed to install
    numerous times.

How may I stop Windows 10 from continuing to attempt the Version 1607 update?

jehill39, Apr 12, 2017
  3. adalzz Win User
    1607 Anniversary Update- Has Microsoft stop rolling this out ?

I wanted to reach out and ask is anyone knows if Microsoft has stopped rolling out 1607 for both the consumer and Enterprise?

I have several systems on 15.11.10586.962 that will not update to 1607 or 1703. These systems were receiving updates from Microsoft.

I have already ran the Microsoft Windows update fix it tools. and Reset Windows updates components.

Does anyone know,? Now that Creators update 1703 is the latest will Microsoft stop rolling out 1607 instead ?

Thanks so Much In advance !

adalzz, Apr 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you shouldn't expect Windows updates daily, but Defender would be updated frequently of course (and I hope silently - I don't use it). There has been a Windows update in the last 3 days or so- today for me.

What happens if you click Check for Updates (via Settings, Update....)

Try the troubleshooter (below).

Please post a screenshot of your update history like this:

dalchina, Apr 12, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Have you set a 'metered connection'? That would disable the automatic check for updates, particularly for Defender - though a manual check should still work.

6. tracit99 Win User
    I have not clicked for Check for Updates because I am relatively sure Windows Update will find the latest Windows Defender definition update and install it. Then the clock is reset and this would defeat the purpose of seeing if Windows Update is checking for updates daily. I have had and I do expect a daily notification from Windows Update because Windows Defender definition updates are released everyday. I am just no longer seeing any notification and Windows Update shows that it last checked for updates three days ago. As a side note Windows Defender definitions are not being updated automatically either. I suspect the two issues are related. I have tried the Windows Update troubleshooter both the natively installed one and the one on the support page and while both reported that issues were fixed it has not helped me with my issue(s).

I do not have metered connection set.

tracit99, Apr 12, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Your screenshot shows KB4015217 was successfully installed on 04/11/2017. That's the cumulative update to 1607 build 14393.1066
    April 11th KB4015217 Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.1066 and 14393.1083

Unless you manually checked for updates, it would seem windows update is working normally. It's just Defender updates that are missing. Have you got 'Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows' ticked? If not, turn it on. Look in...
    Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options

8. tracit99 Win User

Yes the updates installed on 04/11/2017 were manual but not using Windows Update Check for updates button. I use WUMT (windows update mini tool) to do manual updates. I can choose which updates are installed and I deliberately omitted the Windows Defender definition update because I want to see it updated automatically. Using WUMT does not reset the clock on the Last checked for updates in the native Windows Update.

I do have 'Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows' ticked.

tracit99, Apr 12, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Frankly it is more hassle than it is worth trying to sort this. It is easier to download the latest CU iso, double click on it and run setup.exe and upgrade bypassing the problem. If you do get it working, first thing it will do is upgrade you anyway.

cereberus, Apr 12, 2017
  10. tracit99 Win User
    That all well and fine except I happen to have one of those rare systems that refuses to install any build 15002 and higher (System_PTE_Misuse error on first reboot of install). For now I am stuck a 14393.xxxx until MS and/or HP sorts this out.

As for automatically upgrading to next build it will not happen on this system because I have it set as hidden. As I mentioned in a previous posts I have Windows Update set to "Notify" and I use WUMT to do updates manually and I hid build 15063 update as soon as it appeared because of the System_PTE_Misuse error.

I am however am to install builds 15002 and higher into a Hyper-V VM and I have two 15063 and 16170 and they both give me daily Windows Update notifications and both update Windows Defender automatically. The last 14393 build that I had that did this correctly was build 14393.953. So the issues with Windows Update and Windows Defender seem to be germane to Windows 1607 builds after 14393.953.

tracit99, Apr 12, 2017
  11. sygnus21 Win User
    I have a laptop that simply refuses to update to any major Windows upgrade (TH, Anniversary. Creator) outside of a clean install. It's been that way starting with TH2. knowing this I simply backup my critical data, clean install, and all is good. Did this with Anniversary. No issues.

sygnus21, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update has stopped checking for updates in Windows 1607 - Similar Threads - Update has stopped

2. Windows has stop updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows has stop updating: I own A Lenovo Ideapad S145. From 2 to 3 months the windows update is not working properly. It is stuck on the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB4601319" . Every time I try to install it, it stops at 100% and show the message that there...
  3. Windows 1607 not updating

Windows 1607 not updating: I have had a long lasting issue with being unable to update my windows after patch 1607, I have read the forums and tried to do it myself, as well as working with a remote Microsoft employee but my issue is still not resolved. I can no longer handle the gpu requirements to...
  4. Windows stuck at update 1607

Windows stuck at update 1607: Thank you for taking the time to read this post. My computer has been stuck at update 1607 since it got released. My computer installs it approximately twice a day see picture below. I Have tried using the updater manually to install a newer version of windows, this was...
  5. Windows has stopped updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows has stopped updating: I always received insider builds as soon as they were released but am not getting latest release 14986. I received 14965 but rolled back to 14959 because of problems with some of my apps. Would this have done something to updates? 72123
  6. WIndows 10 1607 - Cannot click Update Date or Check for Updates?

WIndows 10 1607 - Cannot click Update Date or Check for Updates?: Hello, We have 5 workstations running Windows 10 ENT 1607 - all are installed via MDT and are managed to a small degree by a handful of basic GP settings. I also have WSUS running here at home - allowing me to manage the update process with ease. All 5 stations are...
  7. Windows update has stopped working

Windows update has stopped working: Hi there everyone after updating to win10 from 8.1 everything worked fine until today. When I switch pc on I always check for updates but today windows update would not work!! It had worked since upgrade on Monday. Tried rebooting but still not working! any ideas?...
  8. Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates

Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates: Hi, I am having a problem with Windows 10 Updates not installing. The last update that was successfully installed was KB3074680 on 17/2/17. Everything since then has failed to install. Can anyone help as I do not have a lot of Windows 10 experience. Thanks Keith 83067
  9. touchpad stopped working after 1607 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    touchpad stopped working after 1607 update: I have an Acer Aspire ES1-711-P14W, When I initially reinstalled my touchpad wasn't working so I installed these drivers from Acer it worked fine until I updated to Version 1607 Build 14393.10: Chipset Intel Chipset Driver 10.1.1.7 IO Drivers Intel Serial IO Driver...
  10. Update to windows 1607

Update to windows 1607: I have a friend in Pougkeepsie, NY who has not gotten the update yet. His system is still at 1511 and he has a digital entitlement license. Over the phone I showed him how to run update through settings and it reports that system is up to date. How in the world do I tell him...