Windows 10: Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates

Discus and support Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I am having a problem with Windows 10 Updates not installing. The last update that was successfully installed was KB3074680 on 17/2/17. Everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Keith24249, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates

Hi,
    I am having a problem with Windows 10 Updates not installing. The last update that was successfully installed was KB3074680 on 17/2/17. Everything since then has failed to install. Can anyone help as I do not have a lot of Windows 10 experience.
    Thanks
    Keith

:)

Keith24249, Apr 27, 2017
  2. DaveW45 Win User

Windows 10 update.

How do i stop Windows 10 from updating again.

i have just notice that a message has come up saying that in order to install security updates it has to install the latest version of Windows!

it looks as though it has started to download and install. How do I stop it?

i have powered down.

DaveW45, Apr 27, 2017
  3. Windows sucking up data

My PC has windows 10 installed, and recently, it has started using internet at the speed of about 100 MB per minute. I thought it was updating something, so I turned off the update manager in services, but it has not stopped.

What should I do? Is it updating something, if so, how do I stop it? If I can't stop it, what is the size of the update?

Moved from: Windows/ Windows 10/ Windows update, recovery & backup

EshaniUpadhyay, Apr 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates

Hi, first check your disk.
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) (assuming you have some sort of conventional disk with SMART parameters). Post the result.

Then check the file system
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

Then post a screenshot of Disk Management (Windows key + X, click Disk Management).

Is there sufficient free space on C: ?

From an admin command prompt run
    SFC /scannow
    This will take some time.
    Report the result on the screen.
    If this fails, stop here.

Have you tried doing updates with all unnecessary peripherals disconnected?

Try the Windows update troubleshooter. (Bottom rt)

Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates [​IMG]

Screenshots: please use the icon to the left of the Video Icon 'Insert Image'.

dalchina, Apr 27, 2017
  5. Hi Dalchina,
    Thank you for your prompt reply attached is the report from Sentinel hard Disk Drive. I await your comments before taking further actions.
    Regards
    Keith

Keith24249, Apr 27, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    That's great- just carry on through the routine stuff until you hit a problem - or the end of that. Thanks.

Here's the next part for interest- complete previous first and post the result.

Update logs
    In order to read the WindowsUpdate.log in Windows 10, you will need to use Windows PowerShell cmdlet to re-create the WindowsUpdate.log the way we normally view it. So open a PowerShell windows, type Get-WindowsUpdateLog and hit Enter.

You will be able to see the log/s. More on this can be found on TechNet.

dalchina, Apr 27, 2017
  7. Hi Dalchina,

Hope you had a good Bank Holiday. Attached is the CHKDSK Report as requested. Let me know if it indicates anything . I will continue with the other tests and send reports.

Regards
    Keith

Keith24249, May 1, 2017
  8. Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates

Hi Dalchina,

Attached is a screenshot of the Disk Management Screenshot.

Regards
    Keith

Keith24249, May 1, 2017
  9. Hi Dalchina,

Attached is the report following the Scan Now command.

Regards
    Keith

Keith24249, May 1, 2017
  10. Hi Dalchina,

Attached is the Windows Update Log.
    In response to your other queries:- There is plenty of free space on the C: disk. I have also tried the Windows Updater without success.
    If you have any other requests please let me know, meanwhile I await your deliberations.
    Many Thanks
    Keith

Keith24249, May 1, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    - I guess you mean the Windows update troubleshooter.
    What did that report? Did it report anything fixed or that it couldn't fix? It should tell you something- could you run it again and post a screenshot?

Screenshots: please use the icon to the left of the Video Icon 'Insert Image'. Sort of square with little round things at the corners.

Have you made sure nothing unnecessary is connected- in particular wireless devices?You can also try Tweaking.com's repair tool (free) - observe the cautious steps and only select the relevant repair(s).

Are you using metered internet connections? (There's a setting in Settings).
    Have you ever done anything to disable updates?
    Please work through this and make sure nothing is set to disable Windows update
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

That list of logs tells me nothing, I'm afraid.

Accessing the logs in a readable way is non-trivial, I can only point you to information on how to do it- please don't post a huge amount of content here. This may not be something that helps you, I'm afraid
    Windows 10, WindowsUpdate.log and how to view it with PowerShell or Tracefmt.exe Charles Allen’s Blog

dalchina, May 1, 2017
  12. Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates [​IMG]

Hi Dalchina,
    Attached is a picture showing the error message I get after I try to update windows. And below is a picture showing the message I get after running Windows Trouble Shooter. I have a pdf copy of the detailed Trouble Shooter report if that might be of help?

Keith24249, May 1, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Ok, so the troubleshooter has repaired something but W update still doesn't work.

Have you made sure nothing unnecessary is connected- in particular wireless devices?You can also try Tweaking.com's repair tool (free) - observe the cautious steps and only select the relevant repair(s).

Are you using metered internet connections? (There's a setting in Settings).
    Have you ever done anything to disable updates?
    Please work through this and make sure nothing is set to disable Windows update
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

You can try thisWindows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates :Delete this folder content:
    SoftwareDistribution\Download\*

At a command prompt issue the following commands in turn - wait for each to complete

Cd %windir%
    Net stop wuauserv
    Rd /s SoftwareDistribution
    Net start wuauserv

Note: if not confident with the command prompt, ask someone to help you who is.

Please note how to add screenshots (above). If you do that, clicking on it magnifies it. Your last ones I had to click and scroll to magnify them.

dalchina, May 1, 2017
  14. Hi Dalchina,

Firstly let me thank you for your patience over the last couple of days, it was probably obvious to you that I am a "newbie" to the Forum and found it difficult to follow all that was being asked of me.
    Since your last reply I have found that the following fix has cured my problem.

1.Open Windows updates click on “Advanced options”
    2.De-select the option to get updates for other Microsoft products when you update windows (see picture below)
    3.Restart, then check for updates
    4.The update process should complete successfully now (note, you may have to run it more than once to get all the updates)
    5.As soon as you get the message “Your device is up to date”, go to the “Advanced options” again and re-select the option to get updates for other Microsoft
    products
    6.Check for updates again, you should now be able to download and install them

I hope this solution will work for others just as it worked for me. Good luck!

Keith24249, May 2, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Glad you got it fixed. There are so many possible reasons it might not work, and many people disable it in different ways.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update Has Stopped Installing Updates - Similar Threads - Update Has Stopped

2. Windows Update has stopped video output

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update has stopped video output: i saw there was a windows update pending on my windows 11 desktop, so I got update and reset. However when the computer reset there was no video signal. I have:1. Verified the HDMI cable works on another device, tried another monitor, tried a display port cable on another...
  3. Windows Update has stopped video output

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update has stopped video output: i saw there was a windows update pending on my windows 11 desktop, so I got update and reset. However when the computer reset there was no video signal. I have:1. Verified the HDMI cable works on another device, tried another monitor, tried a display port cable on another...
  4. Windows has stop updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows has stop updating: I own A Lenovo Ideapad S145. From 2 to 3 months the windows update is not working properly. It is stuck on the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB4601319" . Every time I try to install it, it stops at 100% and show the message that there...
  5. Stop an update from installing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop an update from installing: I have some software the is no longer supported but is needed in our work environment. When KB4569745 installs it messes up the system. It has something to do with .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.0 and when it installs it creates havoc with certain ports that the software needs to...
  6. Recent Windows 10 Update has stopped hyperlinks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent Windows 10 Update has stopped hyperlinks: Hello! Recent Windows 10 Update has stopped hyperlinks from working in e-mails 2007 Outlook, AND stopped photos pasted into e-mails from appearing. Any suggested fixes??? -Thanks, Kevin...
  7. Windows update: Keyboard has stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows update: Keyboard has stopped working: Hey guys, I updated my laptop last night so I could get the new xbox app. This morning when all was complete, I noticed my keyboard stopped working (Apart from the power button and the ROG gaming button. The keyboard works fine in the bios, so I know it works, but as soon...
  8. Windows has stopped updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows has stopped updating: I always received insider builds as soon as they were released but am not getting latest release 14986. I received 14965 but rolled back to 14959 because of problems with some of my apps. Would this have done something to updates? 72123
  9. Windows Update has stopped checking for updates in Windows 1607

Windows Update has stopped checking for updates in Windows 1607: In the last month or so Windows Update has stopped checking for updates automatically in Windows 1607. I have Windows Update set to notify and usually I would get a daily notification You need some updates. Usually there is a Windows Defender definition update waiting to be...
  10. Windows update has stopped working

Windows update has stopped working: Hi there everyone after updating to win10 from 8.1 everything worked fine until today. When I switch pc on I always check for updates but today windows update would not work!! It had worked since upgrade on Monday. Tried rebooting but still not working! any ideas?...