Windows 10: Windows Update: I cannot "Check for Update".

Discus and support Windows Update: I cannot "Check for Update". in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've had more problems during the past week than I've ever had before and I'd like to publicly thank Don Varnau for his patience and guidance. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Taffy087, May 29, 2020.

1. Taffy087 Win User

Windows Update: I cannot "Check for Update".

I've had more problems during the past week than I've ever had before and I'd like to publicly thank Don Varnau for his patience and guidance.

It's 16.20 here and tomorrow I'll be working my way through the long list of suggestions that Donhad has made on how I should make progress.

One of my problems is the failed WU a few day ago - see snip below. So I thought I'd check for updates before switching off - but this is what I saw when I checked in my Settings:

Windows Update: I cannot "Check for Update". 8b571b6d-5387-44ca-a970-012da79f4fb2?upload=true.png

There is no command to Check for Updates! What should I do please to get this latest problem resolved?

Windows Update: I cannot "Check for Update". 62e4989c-7789-4369-891f-3c09164496d1?upload=true.png

:)

Taffy087, May 29, 2020
  2. Naki Win User

Minor suggestion for Check for updates

No, I know that. Exactly where I suggest this to be changed, please note.
    Sorry for not being clear.

The Check for updates small window currently does not show what I ask to be added - program version. Please consider adding this. Many other programs have this, so I suggest for GPU-Z to have it too.

3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 29, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

Windows update cannot currently check for updates.

You verified the Windows Update Service is running in Services.msc?

Check this out: Script Reset Windows Update Agent

I explain how to use it in my Windows OS Repair Thread (in sig). Might save you some time over a fresh install. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Update: I cannot "Check for Update". - Similar Threads - Update cannot Check

2. i cannot check for updates in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cannot check for updates in windows 10: it keeps showing this previously it showed TRY AGAIN LATER then i turned on the UPDATE ORCHESTRATOR SERVICE in services. msc ,after then it keeps showing the problem as in image...
  3. i cannot check for updates in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cannot check for updates in windows 10: it keeps showing this previously it showed TRY AGAIN LATER then i turned on the UPDATE ORCHESTRATOR SERVICE in services. msc ,after then it keeps showing the problem as in image...
  4. i cannot check for updates in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot check windows update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot check windows update.: I cannot check Windows updates in my system. could you please provide the solution? The Picture is attached. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-check-windows-update/1ba4353e-3d8f-49fa-b41a-35e0795b3852
  6. Cannot check windows update.

Cannot check windows update.: I cannot check Windows updates in my system. could you please provide the solution? The Picture is attached. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-check-windows-update/1ba4353e-3d8f-49fa-b41a-35e0795b3852
  7. Windows cannot run automatic update nor update checks

Windows cannot run automatic update nor update checks: My PC running on Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit OS cannot run update checks anymore, showing an error code 80072EFE. How can I resolve this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-run-automatic-update-nor-update/622f49e8-130a-45d2-a2e7-914d47ed1a2d
  8. Windows 10 cannot check for updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 cannot check for updates: I check for updates weekly on my Windows 10 HP laptop. However, for the past 2 weeks it has been getting "stuck" on "Checking for Updates" and will not do anything. Upon doing research, I tried troubleshooting and even that is getting stuck! It stops on "Checking for pending...
  9. Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because updates are controlled

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because updates are controlled: [ATTACH] If while trying to change Windows Update preferences or manually update, you have received the following message – Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because updates on this computer are controlled, then know that this error is usually encountered...
  10. Cannot check windows updates history.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot check windows updates history.: When I cick on update and security then update history it just flashes and nothing. Any solutions to this this issue would be most grateful. 61368