Windows 10: Windows update in the past week

Discus and support Windows update in the past week in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; An automatic update to windows 10 in the past week seems to have played havoc with my laptop. My start button / home page has changed completely and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Annefitzy, May 28, 2020.

1. Annefitzy Win User

Windows update in the past week

An automatic update to windows 10 in the past week seems to have played havoc with my laptop.

My start button / home page has changed completely and some icons / programmes have either disappeared or are not accessible.

Finding anything is hit and miss and some things I just cannot find at all.

Must annoying, I have lost the connection to the virtual app at work, which is hugely frustrating at an extremely busy time of year.

I seem to spend most of the looking for documents and programmes or trying to find out if they still exist.

The new layout is not something I requested, is absolutely not intuitive and quite frankly, looks and feels like a draft that was used in error.

Please help!

Anne

:)

Annefitzy, May 28, 2020
  2. StuMort Win User

Windows update this past week -- Windows activation

Since an update occurred this past week, I am getting a message to activate Windows. I have a Dell laptop that came with Windows 8 and was upgraded to Windows 10 Home during the free upgrade last year.

Looking at the list of updates, I see that KB3211320 and KB3213986 were installed on Feb 16 and Feb 19.

Is anyone else having these issues?

How do I find the key from the Windows 10 Home to enter since these updates?

Thanks,

Stu

StuMort, May 28, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows update in the past week :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 28, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows update in the past week - Similar Threads - update past week

2. Location not working since past weeks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location not working since past weeks: Hello. I have two children with Android phones REDMI 9A. We have used Microsoft Family Safety for a few years and location tracking has worked perfectly until a few weeks ago when it stopped updating their locations.I looked at every setting on both their phones, making sure...
  3. BSOD issues past 4 weeks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD issues past 4 weeks: So, past couple of weeks roughly 4 weeks I kept getting a BSOD error at first it would just freeze for 1 sec and black out my screen then restart the PC all together.Now the actual BSOD appears and gets to 100% complete and sits there until I shut it down manually via power...
  4. BSOD issues past 4 weeks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD issues past 4 weeks: So, past couple of weeks roughly 4 weeks I kept getting a BSOD error at first it would just freeze for 1 sec and black out my screen then restart the PC all together.Now the actual BSOD appears and gets to 100% complete and sits there until I shut it down manually via power...
  5. Windows 11 Update in the past week broke my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Update in the past week broke my laptop: Ever since I downloaded the most recent update most of the programs on my laptop refuse to work. Any game launcher crashes whenever I try to open it. Even file explorer crashes if I try to do anything in it besides open it and look at it. I've tried a windows 11 reset to try...
  6. Windows 11 Update in the past week broke my laptop

Windows 11 Update in the past week broke my laptop: Ever since I downloaded the most recent update most of the programs on my laptop refuse to work. Any game launcher crashes whenever I try to open it. Even file explorer crashes if I try to do anything in it besides open it and look at it. I've tried a windows 11 reset to try...
  7. Video not working this past week.

Video not working this past week.: Video Editor has worked fine for me until this week. Now I can't add any new jpeg or mp4 to a new video. I get the message These files have properties that can't be read, so we couldn't add them. I can still add older jpeg and mp4 but nothing new pictures that I have taken...
  8. Windows 10 Update went wrong this past week.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Update went wrong this past week.: After the last Windows 10 update this week, My wife's account is not. She had administrator privileges. She can see her Shared Pictures icons, but she can no longer open the individual pictures. Her family pictures are now not available and cannot begin to tell you her...
  9. Windows 10 Suddenly Not Activated For The Past Week

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Suddenly Not Activated For The Past Week: Hello, I have Windows 10 Pro for the last 5-6 years couldn't recall but it has been doing just fine til the past week.. Activation issue with error code 0xC004F014. Normally the troubleshooter will fix it. But now the troubleshooter won't. After I click troubleshoot...
  10. BSODFor the past 2 weeks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODFor the past 2 weeks: Hello, i have my system built 2 months ago and recently starting to have frequent BSOD especially when im gaming. MOBO: ASRock B450 Legend PROCESSOR : Ryzen 5 3600X SSD : HS-SSD-E2000 RAM : 8GB Ram Corsair cmk8gx4m1d3000c18 GPU: GTX 1660 Ti Gigabyte recently analyzed...