Windows 10: Windows Update Interrupted = Broken OS/UI

Discus and support Windows Update Interrupted = Broken OS/UI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, So I was shutting down my laptop because the battery was running out, and I clicked on the start button and selected "update and shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yosephxu, Mar 16, 2019.

1. yosephxu Win User

Windows Update Interrupted = Broken OS/UI

Hello all,

So I was shutting down my laptop because the battery was running out, and I clicked on the start button and selected "update and shut down".

Windows update had apparently been downloading in the background and I wanted to just shut down the computer without updating. I realized my mistake by clicking "update and shutdown" instead of "hibernate", too late, and windows was already undergoing the update process with the loading circle with the "do not turn off, windows is updating xx%" warning. I tried quickly to find the charger for my laptop but I didn't make it in time, my laptop battery is a little worn out and it turned off within seconds. With windows update still going on.

Uh-oh. *Eek

Then I plugged the laptop to the power brick and tried powering it on, and it froze at the logo with the loading circle. Then I tried to get it to boot into the windows environment, which I have successfully done (using system repair).
    Now the problem is:
    1. I can't run anything in windows (but there are workarounds*)

Windows Update Interrupted = Broken OS/UI [​IMG]

2. Most startup apps will not run during boot (the main error is that they "have no permissions")

3. I can't click on the start icon and the winkey does not function
    4. Apps that I have managed to run from workarounds* do not function normally, and/or are broken

*I have basic access to running some apps by ctrl+alt+del>>>task manager>>>run new task>>>"type in explorer.exe/chrome.exe, etc"I think maybe because windows update was accessing some pretty important files and was interrupted, now those important files are corrupt or someting. Have spent what is probably a good 5 to 6 hours of my life trying many solutions I googled online from another computer, to no success.

Some of the things I tried:
    1. SFC /scannow from command line
    2. DISM from command line
    3. DISM from external source Windows USB
    4. Editing security permissions & owner for drive C:\
    5. I have considered doing a system refresh, but this is out of the question**

**because there are many app settings and other things a reset would delete, and some specific problems it would bring to me, such as losing my currently open tabs in chrome (500+ tabs, don't ask, work related).

None of the solutions above has worked and I am completely out of ideas. I don't even roughly know what is causing this error. Now I am stressed out by the idea of just nuking everything and doing a complete reinstall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

yosephxu, Mar 16, 2019
  2. intprob Win User

Help with Hardware Interrupts

To use Krview, ignore any driver that is part of Windows or that is for the CPU idle thread.
    inteppm is for the CPU idle thread, ignore it.
    hal and ntkrnlpa are part of Windows, ignore them.
    ati2mtag is the first one on the list that is elevated and relevant.
    Find out what hardware interrupt it uses and then any device that shares this interrupt could be the problem. It might not be ati2mtag.
    If its the video driver, can you use another card?
    Putting the computer to sleep might reset things.

intprob, Mar 16, 2019
  3. little cat, Mar 16, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Update Interrupted = Broken OS/UI :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Update Interrupted = Broken OS/UI - Similar Threads - Update Interrupted Broken

2. I think my Windows OS is interrupting a motherboard related update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think my Windows OS is interrupting a motherboard related update.: I have Windows OS and an MSI motherboard. In my MSI control center I was prompted for some new updates/installs available. After installing I had to restart the PC. Once restarted the system seems to freeze during this process, skipping my MSI reboot and taking me straight to...
  3. I think my Windows OS is interrupting a motherboard related update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think my Windows OS is interrupting a motherboard related update.: I have Windows OS and an MSI motherboard. In my MSI control center I was prompted for some new updates/installs available. After installing I had to restart the PC. Once restarted the system seems to freeze during this process, skipping my MSI reboot and taking me straight to...
  4. I think my Windows OS is interrupting a motherboard related update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Updated os when screen was broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updated os when screen was broken: I had updated my windows 7 to windows 10 with a hdmi cable connected tp monitor but my laptop screen was damaged so some questions are coming on my laptop screen but they aren't visible to me and it is not connecting to the external monitor. I also heard cortana voice. Please...
  6. Updated os when screen was broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated os when screen was broken: I had updated my windows 7 to windows 10 with a hdmi cable connected tp monitor but my laptop screen was damaged so some questions are coming on my laptop screen but they aren't visible to me and it is not connecting to the external monitor. I also heard cortana voice. Please...
  7. Windows update not working/OS system broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update not working/OS system broken: So all of this probably started after i re installed nvidia drivers for my gpu from the official website, i see that the nvidia control panel was missing, so i went to microsoft store and i could not download it from here (i cant download other apps too) on Microsoft store...
  8. Windows 10 UI is BROKEN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 UI is BROKEN: This is a problem I've been having with Windows 10 UI for several years now, and it has persisted despite resetting and reinstalling the OS numerous times. It happens randomly and only to every Windows 10 related apps and menus. To sum it up, it acts as if I was holding down...
  9. Windows Update Interrupted = Broken OS/UI

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Update Interrupted = Broken OS/UI: Hello all, So I was shutting down my laptop because the battery was running out, and I clicked on the start button and selected "update and shut down". Windows update had apparently been downloading in the background and I wanted to just shut down the computer without...
  10. old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709: Since the upgrade to Fall Creators update the old style Defender UI MSASCui.exe produces an error if you try to look at Quarantined items on the History tab. Error loading type library/DLL Error code: 0x80029c4a I'm not the only one, apparently. Also reported here......