Windows 10: Windows Update is making everything worse by enabling itself

Discus and support Windows Update is making everything worse by enabling itself in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm being honest here, I've had WU service disabled for months, but then I bought a new laptop and because the service keeps enabling itself one day it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DarkCeptor44, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Windows Update is making everything worse by enabling itself

I'm being honest here, I've had WU service disabled for months, but then I bought a new laptop and because the service keeps enabling itself one day it updated, I always hate the updates because they make the system slow and occupy space that I have to clear manually later, besides it makes the CPU load climb to 99% (I know when WU is enabled just by hearing the fans). This week, sound stopped playing on my headphones, I was able to get it working again by going to Device Manager and manually updating the Realtek Audio (which annoys me because not even WU or Driver Booster 5 did that), so why does Windows Update service have to keep enabling itself, causing more and more problems that could be avoided by waiting until a next update comes and fixes those errors, I had to reinstall Windows on all my previous machines more than once because of WU, I just wish it could give me the option to update whenever I want. I really love Windows, use it since XP and I want to keep using it, but it's getting more and more difficult to maintain it.

:)

DarkCeptor44, Oct 21, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 21, 2018
  3. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Oct 21, 2018
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Update is making everything worse by enabling itself

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Update is making everything worse by enabling itself :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update is making everything worse by enabling itself

1. Windows Update is making everything worse by enabling itself - Similar Threads - Update making everything

2. Everything on desktop deleted itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everything on desktop deleted itself: I normally prefer to google these things and resolve them myself but I can't find anyone with the same problem as me, so here we go! Logged into my computer this morning and when the desktop popped up only a couple of my shortcuts were left. Everything else is just gone....
  3. Is that true that windows getting worse and worse with updates or features lol

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is that true that windows getting worse and worse with updates or features lol: Is that true that windows getting worse and worse with updates or features lol https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-that-true-that-windows-getting-worse-and-worse/021ce365-52b9-4239-a05a-ca1ac587fb82
  4. Troubleshooted settings making things worse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshooted settings making things worse: My built in microphone wasn't letting anybody hear me on xbox chat and some idiot on microsoft support told me my settings were fine and that i just needed to troubleshoot and fix it. When I did troubleshoot it it made it worse and now games like Fortnite and Rogue Company...
  5. Realtek Audio Drivers Remove features and make everything worse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek Audio Drivers Remove features and make everything worse: Why does this substandard crud keep popping up? RealTeks **** doesn't have loudness normalization. Why can't I opt out of them ruining my system?...
  6. Does Windows make my PC worse?

Does Windows make my PC worse?: I had a Windows update today. After the update I went into Minecraft and played a bit on Gomme and noticed that I had 60fps as usual but it was never short on 100fps as usual. So my laptop is getting worse with Windows updates? Or am I just imagining it? Macht Windows...
  7. Windows Battery Saving Making Battery Life Worse?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Battery Saving Making Battery Life Worse?: Whenever I switch to Battery Saving Mode the battery life projections can sometimes actually go down. For example, the projected battery life will be around 8 1/2 hours when battery saver is enabled but it'll jump to 12 hours when it is disabled. Is this normal? Should I keep...
  8. Could Windows Update be worse?

Could Windows Update be worse?: Could you make Windows Update worse? If you put your mind and ressources to it, could you? No. You couldn't. Windows Update finished to kill my computer. Now it is finally as slow as it can ever be. Thank you Microsoft. You made it. The worst piece of **** ever....
  9. Window update 10 the worse

Window update 10 the worse: i coudnt do much when the window updating,everything become slow.When finish update ask for restart,become a blue screen and load update.worse part it just take hour to update to know it stuck at 15%.for hours.....window update is like a virus...worse of all....
  10. Windows update makes everything slow.

Windows update makes everything slow.: After finally agreeing to your 200th time new version reminder, I decided to update windows. I hated it, my laptop was running extremely slow. I went back to previous version which made my ASUS go to black screen unable to get out of a cycle of blackscreen and loading balls....