Windows 10: Windows update is off but it still wants to restart and update?

Discus and support Windows update is off but it still wants to restart and update? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have Windows update disabled in services.msc but I keep getting the pop up on my screen to "restart now or wait an hour". I can shut down without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/z76101, Apr 19, 2020.

1. /u/z76101 Win User

Windows update is off but it still wants to restart and update?

I have Windows update disabled in services.msc but I keep getting the pop up on my screen to "restart now or wait an hour". I can shut down without updating but I can't restart or it will update. Last time it tried updating it messed up and had to "undo changes" and I don't even want to install the update so how do I remove it all to stop getting the pop up?

Thanks

submitted by /u/z76101
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/z76101, Apr 19, 2020
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. KTR
    ktr Win User
    Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows update is off but it still wants to restart and update? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows update is off but it still wants to restart and update? - Similar Threads - update off still

2. STILL WANT BING OFF MY DEVICES?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STILL WANT BING OFF MY DEVICES?: 10+ years later, we are all trying to get effing BING off our computers!!! WHY???!!! I have had 3 computers since BING decided to shove their BINGness at us and we still don't want it! We've all tried everything! HOW DO WE DUMP BING!?!?!?!?!OH, and I can't submit a question...
  3. STILL WANT BING OFF MY DEVICES?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STILL WANT BING OFF MY DEVICES?: 10+ years later, we are all trying to get effing BING off our computers!!! WHY???!!! I have had 3 computers since BING decided to shove their BINGness at us and we still don't want it! We've all tried everything! HOW DO WE DUMP BING!?!?!?!?!OH, and I can't submit a question...
  4. I shut off Windows Update in Services and it still downloads and wants to install updates ,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I shut off Windows Update in Services and it still downloads and wants to install updates ,...: I am so sick of this .... I have Limited Bandwidth , and these GARBAGE DOWNGRADES that Microsoft FORCES ON US , is getting old , they are HUGE and USELESS .....it already used 90% of my bandwidth for the entire month on that STUPID USELESS Feature DOWNGRADE last month that...
  5. Windows Update is disabled but updates still happening. How to shut off?

Windows Update is disabled but updates still happening. How to shut off?: I have every place off concerning Windows Update but in the update history, it shows 4 updates in the past week. It shows 2.9 GB have come from Microsoft. How do I stop this? I have limited bandwidth and don't want any updates taking place unless I approve. Thanks for...
  6. No, I don't want to restart and update.

No, I don't want to restart and update.: I got home today to find my computer stuck on an update that i did not schedule. It did 30% in an hour. Luckly it restarted and i was able to boot Linux, so I can at least get some work done, but I am LIVID. I just wasted an hour of my time. Am i not allowed to have control...
  7. Windows updates. Set the time but still restarting for updates randomly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows updates. Set the time but still restarting for updates randomly.: I am trying to run a small local radio station for a small town in Canada. I'm forcibly retired due to Crohns. I started this business because it's something I can do otherwise I forced to live on a pension of $735/month. I can't have restarts during my scheduled broadcast...
  8. Want to restart computer but update is pending and recent update was r

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Want to restart computer but update is pending and recent update was r: I would like to restart my computer but an update is pending and the recent update was reported to have been cancelled by Microsoft while they fix the widely-reported bug that caused some users to lose files. How can I tell Windows to restart without doing this update? Both...
  9. Want to restart computer but update is pending and recent update was r

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Want to restart computer but update is pending and recent update was r: I would like to restart my computer but an update is pending and the recent update was reported to have been cancelled by Microsoft while they fix the widely-reported bug that caused some users to lose files. How can I tell Windows to restart without doing this update? Both...
  10. windows update wanted restart, now no login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    windows update wanted restart, now no login screen: this morning a message that windows needed to restart to install an update appeared. I restarted the pc, all went well until the system hung at the splash screen before the login. I have tried powering off and restarting, but I'm still stuck at the splash screen, which...