Windows 10: Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array

Discus and support Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The volume was mostly backed up. My video shoot this weekend 6 hours work I cannot reshoot was not backed up yet, so I desperately need to repair the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NicholasMirro, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array

The volume was mostly backed up. My video shoot this weekend 6 hours work I cannot reshoot was not backed up yet, so I desperately need to repair the array somehow.

The device is a Lacie 2TB Bolt 3 Thunderbolt. It is a pair of SSDs packaged in one unit. It was configured by Windows as a RAID 1 array.

In Computer Mgmt, the drive is now listed as Disk 3 Dynamic Foreign and Disk 4 Dynamic Foreign.

Is there a way to recover the RAID volume?

I am so frustrated. In August, a Windows update corrupted our Access database, nearly putting me out of business.

UPDATES

Security Update KB4577266

Update KB4571756

:)

NicholasMirro, Oct 4, 2020
  2. Bazsl1 Win User

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

I am not going to use hardware RAID. I want to use Windows Storage Spaces to create the RAID 1 array from two identical hard drives.

Do I install Windows on the first hard drive then create the RAID array using Storage Spaces?

When I create the RAID array will Windows automatically mirror the Windows installation including the boot partition to the second drive so the RAID array is bootable?

Are their any steps unique to this setup that I must follow when installing Windows or creating the RAID array so that the RAID array will be bootable?

Bazsl1, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Ethan Z. Win User
    Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management
    Console is not up to date. It suggested I refresh it, relaunch it, or even restart my computer. I tried all three things, and it still wouldn't let me mirror the partition. Then I realized that maybe Windows won't let me create a RAID 1 Array on USB Drives,
    so I went to the original plan I was going to do and grabbed my 500GB External HDD and my 120GB External SSD (they are both USB 3.0 connected enclosures) and when I tried to mirror a partition on my 500GB HDD using my SSD, it wouldn't let me use the SSD to
    mirror it. So then I tried using my internal windows 10 SSD to mirror my HDD. But, I needed to shrink my main partition on my internal SSD and it wouldn't let me shrink it saying there was a certain amount I could shrink it to, but I could only shrink 135MB
    at max and I have 89.4GB free on that partition. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated (and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm trying to run RAID 1 on an external HDD/SSD is just for testing and more file redundancy and performance).

Ethan Z., Oct 4, 2020
  4. Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array

Windows 10 update 1909 breaks my RAID array

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as the RAID array breaks after Windows 10 1909 update and you want to know, if there is any option to prevent such issue.

Let me point you in the right direction, where you would get the appropriate help for this issue. I would suggest you to post your query in

TechNet
    forums, where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on RAID Array to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array

1. Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array - Similar Threads - update broke RAID

2. Raid 1 Array not accessible after re-installing windows on different disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raid 1 Array not accessible after re-installing windows on different disk.: Hello,I have 3 disks in total, 2 x 2 TB which were built into a Raid 1 Array and 1 NVME disk which used to hold my previous installation of windows 11. Today, I decided to reinstall windows 11 on the NVME disk and ever since the raid array doesn't show up anymore. The disks...
  3. Raid 1 Array not accessible after re-installing windows on different disk.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Raid 1 Array not accessible after re-installing windows on different disk.: Hello,I have 3 disks in total, 2 x 2 TB which were built into a Raid 1 Array and 1 NVME disk which used to hold my previous installation of windows 11. Today, I decided to reinstall windows 11 on the NVME disk and ever since the raid array doesn't show up anymore. The disks...
  4. My raid 1 disapeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My raid 1 disapeared: Hello, I recently built my new gaming pc and i bought two hdd drives and not knowing what to do with them someone told me I should try doing a raid 1. I know it has its flaws and its strengths but I already know them. So I went to control panel --> system --> Space/disk...
  5. How to delete RAID 0 array

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to delete RAID 0 array: Hi, I want to delete RAID 0 I made with Storage Spaces. I'ts 4 HDDs and one is having problems. It still works, but I have problem deleting or moving some files. Tried eliminating the HDD from the array, but it won´t let me (stuck at 0,04% use for months) Tried from the...
  6. Windows 10 update 1909 breaks my RAID array

Windows 10 update 1909 breaks my RAID array: Hey folks, So I have two AMD-RAID Toshiba DT01ACA3 SCSCI Disk devices that are grouped in one array. When I tried to update Windows I got a message saying I needed to update my AMD-RAID drivers because the old drivers did not play nicely with the new update, with this...
  7. RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...: So I created a RAID 1 array using Windows Storage Spaces with two of my 2 TB WD HDDs. One of them has failed, now the other doesn't show up in Windows' drive listing under My Computer (as expected). Two questions I have: 1) Do I just plug a new, identical drive in? And...
  8. Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?: I have an old desktop pc (Dell Inspiron 620) that I want to use as a home file server. This PC will only hold two hard drives. I would like to install two identical 4TB drives and have Windows treat them as a RAID 1 array. Is this possible? If so, are there instructions for...
  9. Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array: Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management Console is not up to...
  10. Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD

Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD: I updated to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install and had issues with my RAID array showing up as raw format. I was able to take a backup of it from my W7 drive then rebooted into W10 deleted the array in Disk Management, deleted the array in the controller BIOS and then...