Windows 10: Windows update KB4598242 hangs my system

Discus and support Windows update KB4598242 hangs my system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows update on January 13 2021 KB4598242 hangs my system during step 2.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CMatisse64, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Windows update KB4598242 hangs my system

Windows update on January 13 2021 KB4598242 hangs my system during step 2.

:)

CMatisse64, Jan 14, 2021
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Jan 14, 2021
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows update KB4598242 hangs my system

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Windows update KB4598242 hangs my system

1. Windows update KB4598242 hangs my system - Similar Threads - update KB4598242 hangs

2. microsoft update kb4598242

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft update kb4598242: Microsoft update KB4598242 freezes my desktop shortcuts except for Microsoft Edge.....I delete the update and the icons work....next week they download it again and the icons don't work....what is the fix......
  3. Windows not updating KB4598242

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not updating KB4598242: So Basically I can't update my pc the update that isn't working is KB4598242 I can't update my graphics card which is a huge problem so I need support fast as I can and i heard this update has major issues like blue screen of death which I did get on my other pc but managed...
  4. windows update KB4598242

windows update KB4598242: update fails to install. Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: 0x8007000d. Have tried several times...
  5. Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB4598242 update

Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB4598242 update: I was wondering why my computer decided to update twice of the same one on two different days. When I checked my update history it only shows the one update on the 12th and not the 15th. Is this some hidden update I didn't know about or could there be something else with...
  6. Help Unscuttle My System From KB4598242

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Unscuttle My System From KB4598242: Hi there folks. long story short I went to sleep last night noticing that the Windows update was ready to run in my computer was functioning (mostly) exactly how it should. No micro stuttering, Windows desktop was working, heck Windows was working period, my CPU usage was...
  7. Issues with the update KB4598242

Issues with the update KB4598242: I also noted a problem with this update. The web pages were taking minutes to come up and Excel took nearly 10 mins to open a file. I checked for the updates and found the following were installed on 14-Jan-2021: KB4598242 and KB4598481. I Uninstalled the KB4598242 and...
  8. Update nr KB4598242

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update nr KB4598242: just for info, I've just done this and had no problems. 172283
  9. KB4598242 install hanging my PC on manufacturer splash screen

KB4598242 install hanging my PC on manufacturer splash screen: Following installation of Windows 10 update KB4598242 OS Builds 19041.746 and 19042.746 yesterday the PC hangs on the PC manufacturer splash screen when I power up. Pressing the power button again launches BIOS, making no changes and Exiting BIOS launches Windows and the PC...
  10. Windows update fail (KB4598242)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update fail (KB4598242): Asus Tuf FA506IV laptop Tried to install the new windows update KB4598242 and got an error: 0x80073701. sfc /scannow showed no errors but Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth showed error: 0x800f081f. Tried to do a manual install of the update and that failed as well....
Tags: