Windows 10: Windows Update keeps disabling itself

Discus and support Windows Update keeps disabling itself in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Windows update keeps disabling itself every few hours. This also disables the updates for windows store apps. I've noticed that the services... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MogZero, Jun 26, 2019.

1. MogZero Win User

Windows Update keeps disabling itself

My Windows update keeps disabling itself every few hours.

This also disables the updates for windows store apps.

I've noticed that the services "Windows Update" and "Storage Service" keep being set to "Disabled". If I set these two services back to "Manual", then both Windows update and the updates in the windows store start working again.

If there's a large update in the store, e.g. over a GB in size, I will often need to reenable the services multiple times to actually get the update to complete. Keeping in mind my Internet connection generally exceeds 100MBit/s, this is quite frequent.

It's quite rare for Windows update to be working when I start up my computer, even if the computer has only been in standby since the previous day.

Windows update in the settings app says:

"There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)"

Windows store shows Error for each update and clicking on "See details" displays a dialog with the message:
    "Turn on Windows Update"

"Windows update is disabled. You can repair Windows Update by running the Windows Update troubleshooter in Settings."

"Code: 0x80070422"

Running the troubleshooter, it gives the message, "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem". When expanding out the details, it displays, "Issue not present" next to each item in the list.

How do I work out why these services are disabling themselves / fix the problem.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 1903 and is not joined to a domain.

It is my personal laptop and I have full admin privileges.

The computer was bought new in May.

It's a Lenovo Y-740 with i7-8750H and 32GB RAM.

I'm not convinced that Windows update has ever been working since I bought the computer.

:)

MogZero, Jun 26, 2019

2. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Jun 26, 2019
  3. TC-man Win User
    Windows Update keeps failing!

Hi,

I had once a similar issue like yours, i.e. not able to update Windows 7. What I did to solve the problems is:

- go to control panel, then to "Troubleshouting" > "System and Security" > "Fix problems with Windows update" > click "Advanced" > choose "Apply repairs automatically".

And Windows will start detecting the issues and will repair "Windows update components". The problems should be fixed now, close the program, restart the PC, and see if the mentioned steps have fixed the problems you mentioned.

Hope it works for you.

Good luck!

TC-man, Jun 26, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Update keeps disabling itself - Similar Threads - Update keeps disabling

2. ethernet keeps disabling itself...help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ethernet keeps disabling itself...help!: This problem is driving me crazy. I recently bought a new HP Windows 10 laptop. It doesn't have an ethernet jack, so I'm plugging in via a USB adapter, through a USB hub. Problem is, ethernet disables itself off periodically, and switches over to wifi. On my old laptop,...
  3. .NET Framework keeps disabling itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    .NET Framework keeps disabling itself: Help! My .NET framework keeps disabling itself after I enable it! I go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off After that I select .NET Extensibility 4.8, and have tried enabling them all at once as well. It disables right after. I go...
  4. Windows Update keeps disabling itself automatically in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update keeps disabling itself automatically in Windows 10: [ATTACH]A Windows 10 user on Reddit reported as follows: My windows update is always […] This article Windows Update keeps disabling itself automatically in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Windows Update Service disables itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Service disables itself: Hello. I just bought my HP laptop about a week ago. I wanted to use the ms store but it keeps getting an error. I was directed to my windows update settings and there it says "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and...
  6. WiFi in Windows 10 keeps disabling itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WiFi in Windows 10 keeps disabling itself: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 Home on my laptop. The WiFi keeps disabling itself automatically. It won't even show the available connections. I have to go to the Device Manager, disable the driver and then re-enable the driver to get it working. I ran sfc /scannow and it...
  7. Windows Defender keeps disabling itself?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender keeps disabling itself?: So for the past few days I’ve noticed that Windows Defender keeps disabling itself. I use an app called RKill that kills applications for a clean malware scan. I use MalwareBytes as an combo. And I have also recently reinstalled my PC and last time it didn’t have options or...
  8. Network adapter keeps on disabling itself

Network adapter keeps on disabling itself: Whenever I try to connect to the internet, my network adapter will instantly disable itself. It can display the list of available networks just fine, but once I tried to connect to any one of it, the adapter will disable itself. I even tried to connect using USB Tethering...
  9. Network adapter keeps on disabling itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network adapter keeps on disabling itself: Whenever I try to connect to the internet, my network adapter will instantly disable itself. It can display the list of available networks just fine, but once I tried to connect to any one of it, the adapter will disable itself. I even tried to connect using USB Tethering...
  10. Wifi adapter keeps disabling itself.

Wifi adapter keeps disabling itself.: For about a week now I've had to deal with my computer suddenly disconnecting itself from the internet. There doesn't seem to be any particular timing to it; I'll just be going about my business and suddenly it'll disconnect and won't be able to find a network connection for...