Windows 10: Windows Update keeps installing an obsolete driver, even though the current driver may be...

Discus and support Windows Update keeps installing an obsolete driver, even though the current driver may be... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Some time ago I raised the issue described below, but so far Windows updates do not seem to have resolved it: I keep seeing daily error messages in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Honey Baja, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Windows Update keeps installing an obsolete driver, even though the current driver may be...

Some time ago I raised the issue described below, but so far Windows updates do not seem to have resolved it:

I keep seeing daily error messages in Windows 10 Update saying it is trying to install a driver update when the current driver is probably better than the one it keeps trying to install, and that it will keep on trying to install. This does seem self-contradictory!

Looking at the driver update history, there is a long list of entries like the following:

Hewlett-Packard - USB - 2/10/2017 12:00:00 AM - 44.1.2402.1741

Successfully installed on 18/02/2021

So this must be the driver for my HP OfficeJet printer. The printer is working fine and when I ran the Windows trouble-shooter for my printer it did not detect any problems. Incidentally, yesterday I ran the trouble-shooter for Windows Update and it did find something that needed resolving; so I re-started my laptop, ran the Update trouble-shooter again and this time it no longer detected any problems.

This issue with the driver update has been going on for a very long time, and it's clear from my Internet searches to try and find a solution that many people have been similarly affected.

Also, when I went into the Device Manager to check the printer driver it indicated that I have the most up to date driver.

My version of Windows is Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 20H2, OS build 19042.804, and my printer is a Hewlett Packard OfficeJet 5200 series PCL-3.

Should I just wait and see whether this issue is resolved with the May 2021 Features Update, or is there any action that I should take? I can't help thinking that if I were to download the driver direct from the HP website Windows Update might simply overwrite it with the obsolete driver again.

:)

Honey Baja, Feb 18, 2021

2. Windows 7 wont install drivers

i dont think anyone here understands what your asking either when its nearly a 90% english dominated Tech forum.
    Step 1
    reinstall windows from scratch
    Step 2
    install all drivers from the cd that came with the god damn motherboard *common sense*
    Step 3
    update windows
    Step 4
    install misc etc crap like flash java etc etc
    Step 5
    Install GPU drivers
    Step 6
    go back to using your pc without issue.

crazyeyesreaper, Feb 18, 2021
  3. Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Feb 18, 2021
  4. musek Win User

Windows Update keeps installing an obsolete driver, even though the current driver may be...

ATI Driver install problems

Hi!

There seems to be a kind of a mess after deletion of your current driver.
    Have you tried step-by-step drivers update procedure including Driver Sweeper, deleting Prefetch and Temp folders, etc?

musek, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update keeps installing an obsolete driver, even though the current driver may be...

1. Windows Update keeps installing an obsolete driver, even though the current driver may be... - Similar Threads - Update keeps installing

2. Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers: The Device Manager > "Ports Com & LPT "driver for my GPS was deleted by a Windows update and replaced by Windows, to a newer version. The old version worked with my GPS but the newer version does not. When I tried to reinstall the older version that worked I get an error...
  3. Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers: The Device Manager > "Ports Com & LPT "driver for my GPS was deleted by a Windows update and replaced by Windows, to a newer version. The old version worked with my GPS but the newer version does not. When I tried to reinstall the older version that worked I get an error...
  4. Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows keeps installing graphic driver even though I specifically stated not to

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps installing graphic driver even though I specifically stated not to: fu windows submitted by /u/silvermage13 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mwem6n/windows_keeps_installing_graphic_driver_even/
  6. "A current driver on this PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install" - how...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "A current driver on this PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install" - how...: Windows Update is stuck in this loop: - https://i.imgur.com/hQ3nWRm.gifv I don't know why it's suddenly starting doing this as nothing has changed when it comes to hardware on my PC. For some reason, it has installed these drivers today, despite drivers already being...
  7. The current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we are trying to install.......

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we are trying to install.......: Hi, When I check for Windows updates, I get the captionned message. [ATTACH] I have no idea what driver it relates to. How can I verify this? Note that I run Win10 Pro ver. 2004. My PC is a Lenovo Legion Y520T-251CZ and is healthy when I check for updates using the...
  8. A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we’re trying to install

in Windows 10 News
    A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we’re trying to install: [ATTACH]If, when you try to install a new Feature Update, Windows Update throws error A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver […] This article A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we’re trying to install first appeared on...
  9. Windows Update - keeps updating HP obsolete USB (Driver?)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update - keeps updating HP obsolete USB (Driver?): Running W10 64bit level 1903 on Dell desktop PC. Windows Update every month at least, keeps offering me (and installing) this "update": Hewlett-Packard - USB - 2/10/2017 12:00:00AM - 44.1.2402.1741 (15) I have never selected to install this update, but Windows Update...
  10. 1709 now installing driver updates (nvidia) even though it is disabled

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1709 now installing driver updates (nvidia) even though it is disabled: Windows update updated my Nvidia driver even though I have "Do you want to auomatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices" Set to No. I have been on Windows 10 since before it was officially released and this is the first time...