Windows 10: Windows Update keeps non-system HDDs awake

Discus and support Windows Update keeps non-system HDDs awake in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I set "Turn off hard disk after" to 20 minutes in Power Options. But my HDDs keep waking up for no apparent reason. So I am tracking down the causes. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by extratype, Feb 21, 2021.

1. extratype Win User

Windows Update keeps non-system HDDs awake

I set "Turn off hard disk after" to 20 minutes in Power Options. But my HDDs keep waking up for no apparent reason. So I am tracking down the causes. I applied the registry settings in: https://superuser.com/questions/1228234/windows-storport-spinning-up-offline-drives-every-65-minutes

But HDDs are still waking up for every hour. I monitored them using drivePowerState, and I saw cycles going up by one in an hour on average. I used Process Monitor and traced WMI activity. I found the Windows Update service wuauserv causes HDDs to wake up. Documentation says updates are checked at the default interval of 22 hours but wuauserv runs around every hour especially while the computer is in idle. I digged down the rabbit hole, it was much more complex than I have thought and I realized I can't control how often wuauserv runs. I have no choice but just to disable wuauserv periodically.

Anyway the root cause is that the WMI query from wuauserv process SELECT * FROM Win32_PhysicalMedia WHERE Tag="[SYSTEM DRIVE]" triggers reading SMART information for ALL drives when it is started.

:)

extratype, Feb 21, 2021
  2. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Feb 21, 2021
  3. TC-man Win User
    Windows Update keeps failing!

Hi,

I had once a similar issue like yours, i.e. not able to update Windows 7. What I did to solve the problems is:

- go to control panel, then to "Troubleshouting" > "System and Security" > "Fix problems with Windows update" > click "Advanced" > choose "Apply repairs automatically".

And Windows will start detecting the issues and will repair "Windows update components". The problems should be fixed now, close the program, restart the PC, and see if the mentioned steps have fixed the problems you mentioned.

Hope it works for you.

Good luck!

TC-man, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Update keeps non-system HDDs awake - Similar Threads - Update keeps non

2. HDDs keep spinning up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDDs keep spinning up: So for a long time I had 2 SSDs and 3 HDDs with my Power Plan set to spin down disks after 20 min. Everything worked fine, the disks would remain spun down when not in use. The other day I added a 4th HDD(don't know for sure if this is even related), and now all 4 disks are...
  3. HDDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  4. Non-System DIsk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non-System DIsk: I'm using a ASUS TUF505DD-AL040, and decided to upgrade my hard drive, I installed it and used a boot key to reinstall windows 10. I got a "Non-system Disk " error and it seems I can't install windows. I tried to reinstall my old hard drive who still got windows 10 on it and...
  5. Windows 10 and HDDs, file access, and non-essential services

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 and HDDs, file access, and non-essential services: Hey there windows users, I don't know how many of you actually have the problems with windows 10 i've had, such as HDD spinning out update caused my HDD to **** itself and exceed it's RPM limit, significant slowing from non-essential services being disabled, such as skype or...
  6. How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?: I have just one machine on our little lan that seems to disappear from time to time and it looks like it does that because it goes into sleep mode. How do I fix that if that's what it probably is? 139624
  7. How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?: I have just one machine on our little lan that seems to disappear from time to time and it looks like it does that because it goes into sleep mode. How do I fix that if that's what it probably is? 139624
  8. One of HDDs missing/disappeared after awaking computer from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    One of HDDs missing/disappeared after awaking computer from sleep mode: When I awake my computer from sleep mode, one of the data drives is missing (it is gone from This PC (formerly My Computer)). If I go into Device Manager and select Action > Scan for hardware changes then the drive is found and added back to This PC. The controller is...
  9. powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake??: How do I stop the process nw.exe from keeping my computer from going to sleep. I know it's a powercfg command but I'm not sure of the options so any help would really be appreciated *Smile Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER]...
  10. Freeze on awake

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeze on awake: Hey, Sometimes when my PC comes back up from hibernation (hybrid sleep enabled) it freezes so stiff that even the reset button stops working. The screen updates once so the clock widget on my taskbar shows the current time for a second. Sometimes the HDD light stays lit,...