Windows 10: Windows Update Keeps Resetting My Desktop and Settings

Discus and support Windows Update Keeps Resetting My Desktop and Settings in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The most recent Windows 10 update, at the end of August, has caused my laptop's desktop to reset each time I turn on or restart the system. Most of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JamesOnorevole, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Windows Update Keeps Resetting My Desktop and Settings

The most recent Windows 10 update, at the end of August, has caused my laptop's desktop to reset each time I turn on or restart the system. Most of the desktop icons disappear and the background reverts to the default Windows image. On top of that, it seems that all of my settings have been lost - everything from theme options to my "night light" warm screen schedule. Additionally, the saved bookmarks, favorited websites, and similar features associated with my Edge, Firefox, and Chrome browsers are all gone.

I found an old Windows Community post from 2016 in which a similar problem was encountered (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-reset-my-desktopapps-and-keeps/1ba0a086-5060-4491-bde5-9fbf043d4e44). A support representative recommended uninstalling the updates that may be causing a problem. I have done that, but one Windows security update (KB4508433) from the time of the update in question does not offer the option to uninstall. Nevertheless, uninstalling the other updates did not solve the problem. This old post also recommended using the system restore function to return to the point set before the update. I did this as well and it didn't solve the problem. It's worth noting after I restored the system, the "Uninstall an update" window still showed the August 26 & 27 updates as being installed.

I would appreciate any help with this! Also, if you have any suggestions for recovering my browser bookmarks, I'd appreciate it!

:)

JamesOnorevole, Sep 2, 2019

2. HELP 5870 Issues:CCC resets settings on restart, Partial desktop, Lock in 2D clocks!

I didn't understand! Are suggesting this as a prelude to re-installing the CCC again?
    If yes, it's the case of fresh windows installation which I already did..
    If no, removing CCC will result in the desktop switching to a horrible low rez (800x600) and there'll be no black border and no partial desktop!!
    I did try removing only the monitors' drivers, as I said in my first post (Step 3), but I guess It wasn't clear..Sorry! English is not my first language, you know!

3. Dano 00TA Win User
    Bios keeps resetting...not the battery

I'm having problems with a abit AW9D Max board in an older build of mine that keeps resetting the bios everytime I shut it down. The time is ok so I assume it's not the battery but the other settings such as Uguru setting, ram and other stuff resets to defaults*Wtf :wtf: I've had this computer for a few years with nothing like this happening till now. I'd just leave everything at default but the Uguru alarm goes off whenever I start it and I have to disable it in the bios. Any suggestions on what I can try?

Dano 00TA, Sep 2, 2019
  4. Windows Update Keeps Resetting My Desktop and Settings

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update Keeps Resetting My Desktop and Settings

1. Windows Update Keeps Resetting My Desktop and Settings - Similar Threads - Update Keeps Resetting

2. Windows Reset: Keep my files and settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Reset: Keep my files and settings.: Hi Legends,I reset my PC after having issues with the driver. I selected the keep my files option. Windows has been reset successfully and it is extremely slow and freezing. I used to have heaps of files on my drives, I lost all of them. I tried many ways to get my files back...
  3. Windows Reset: Keep my files and settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Reset: Keep my files and settings.: Hi Legends,I reset my PC after having issues with the driver. I selected the keep my files option. Windows has been reset successfully and it is extremely slow and freezing. I used to have heaps of files on my drives, I lost all of them. I tried many ways to get my files back...
  4. Windows Keeps Resetting my Desktop and Deletes My Downloads

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Keeps Resetting my Desktop and Deletes My Downloads: Hello, whenever I start up or restart my computer, I sign in and my desktop is reset, my downloads and files are all gone. The desktop background switches to the standard one every time this happens. How do i fix this? Please help!!!!...
  5. Update seems to have reset my desktop monitor settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update seems to have reset my desktop monitor settings?: Hiya, just updated my laptop (took LONG this time) and now the background foto of my desktop is just gone (everything is black). Desktop icons and files are still there, but the resolution seems to have changed to a clunkier setting. This has never happened with another...
  6. After a Windows Update My Desktop Keeps Resetting

After a Windows Update My Desktop Keeps Resetting: So last night I updated and shutdown my laptop, Then, the next day when I turned my laptop on, I noticed that my desktop is different, such as the background, icons, and so I did a lot of personalizing to make it look as it usually is and after I'm done playing some games I...
  7. Nvidia Desktop Color Settings keep resetting since 2004 Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nvidia Desktop Color Settings keep resetting since 2004 Windows 10 update: submitted by /u/Ascerta [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ibn3ej/nvidia_desktop_color_settings_keep_resetting/
  8. WINDOWS UPDATES RESETTING MY PERSONAL DESKTOP SETTINGS

WINDOWS UPDATES RESETTING MY PERSONAL DESKTOP SETTINGS: Each time I receive an MS update for MS Edge my computer is reset and I am taken back to the "Microsoft Edge Welcome Page"? I have to continuously rebuild my personal desktop settings and must also re-authorize some of my software applications. I may receive updates 2 or 3...
  9. Recent Windows update keeps resetting my desktop and files.

Recent Windows update keeps resetting my desktop and files.: I recently had windows update my laptop and now every time it does a new update it resets pretty much everything. From my desktop to files to settings to erasing photos. I don't understand why because windows updates have never down this before....
  10. Windows 10 update reset my desktop/apps and keeps resetting after every update

Windows 10 update reset my desktop/apps and keeps resetting after every update: A few days ago I did a Windows 10 update on my DELL laptop. When trying to login after the update I could not although I was typing the right password showing the message “user profile can not be loaded”. After solving this problem, I noticed that this update had removed...