Windows 10: Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered.

Discus and support Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm more than positive I have found out why Windows Update has not been working for a whole bunch of users. The last couple of months I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by EyeInTheSky, May 29, 2017.

1. Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered.

I'm more than positive I have found out why Windows Update has not been working for a whole bunch of users. The last couple of months I have been monitoring the http://www.windowsupdate.com URL and discovered something very odd. Take a look at this screenshot:

Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered. [​IMG]

Now at least 75% of the time, that website reports that http://www.windowsupdate.com is down for EVERYONE. Just take a look at my download speed from another screen capture that I took of the actual attempted download process:

Now it is no wonder why my update would take more than fourteen days at 13.5KB/sec.

Furthermore, if I go to the Microsoft Update Catalog, the results mirror back to the source of http://www.windowsupdate.com and have the same lag in download speeds.

Now what I want to know, is where is everyone getting their updates from if the server is down for everyone according to my very first screenshot and Microsoft Update Catalog mirrors back to http://www.windowsupdate.com?

Is there an archive that is current with all the available updates for Version 1703 Build 15063.0? In other words, I know someone has to know of a third party vendor that distributes the updates or there would definitely be a whole lot more people trying to figure out why Microsoft's most important servers are down 75% of the time.

:)

EyeInTheSky, May 29, 2017

2. After update to version 1709, Internet connection sharing stays starting and consumes cpu

You are welcome,

I'm happy that my experiences can help someone else.

I was lucky to discover the pracitcal solution to this annoiying issue.

I have spent a lot of time trying to discover the culprit, and finally I found it.

Have a nice day.

Andrea

Andrea D'Agostino, May 29, 2017
  3. C#S
    C#S Win User
    Windows 10 Temp Folder Constantly Growing in Size

There are no Microsoft employees here.

If disk clean won't do it then it sounds like you have a rogue program. Uninstall programs one at a time until you discover the culprit.

4. Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered.

I am sure Microsoft has an array of severs all around the world and all of the are quite busy at times. Their servers require maintenance at certain times so I would expect a certain % to be down at any point in time but not 75% of them.

Josey Wales, May 29, 2017
  5. Yes, fair enough, but do you know of an archived database that has the updates readily available?

I found this one, but it hasn't been updated in 38 days as of the time-stamp of this post:

Windows 10 Update Archive

EyeInTheSky, May 29, 2017
  6. Not sure if I would trust that data base.

Josey Wales, May 29, 2017
  7. I would not recommend getting Windows updates from any place but Microsoft.
    Know way of knowing what is in those updates from other places.

Layback Bear, May 29, 2017
  8. Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered.

I couldn't agree more with both of you on the trust of other databases for Genuine Microsoft Updates. I concede that the updates from other sources (regardless of a virus scan) could result in downloading bogus updates.

I did find something rather interesting though:

If the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows." box is "checked", the updater throws out error codes and Windows Update doesn't search for updates properly. If it does find updates when that box is "checked", their download and install rate is usually a failure.

When it is "unchecked" (as in my screenshot), Windows Update runs smoothly and has a way higher success rate of downloading and installing updates.

I wonder why that is? I had read about this setting months before the "Creators Update" was even announced for release and after upgrading to Version 1703, I realized that setting had been altered; as in the box was checked without my permission.

I know before the upgrade of the OS, it was stated specifically that my settings would not be altered; however, I had found several settings that Microsoft said would remain unchanged to be untrue. That is to be expected with a "in place upgrade" of an OS and I dealt with it accordingly and have been happy with the upgrade after I found out what had been altered without my permission.

EyeInTheSky, May 30, 2017
  9. prikker Win User
    I always use the first option. Can't recall having any troubles with the updates. I will test it when the next monthly updates arrive.

prikker, May 30, 2017
  10. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with a computer being a laptop using the new UEFI or a desktop using the old school BIOS setup during the "in place upgrade" of the OS that changed my settings.

11. prikker Win User
    Could be, but i'm not an expert. I get all my knowlegde from users like you, this forum and the internet.

prikker, May 30, 2017
  12. It is more likely, there is something with your connection/ISP/DNS/driver, etc.
    By the way, download domain is not the same as the one, you are checking out.

TairikuOkami, May 30, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered.

Well, there is this. though to be honest I've never seen any evidence of it in action...

I leave that ticked and get Office updates along with Windows ones, doesn't seem to be a problem.

14. Good catch. I found out after the start of the thread and was going to post back with my findings later today - you got there first and due credit goes to you for the correction. Thank You for the correct download domain posting.

Yes, I've looked at the running task host processes (I think that is where it would show up) and I haven't experienced any increase or decrease in download times when choosing how updates are delivered.

The problem only persisted on the laptop I got and not my desktop. I'm referring to updates for other Microsoft products in my previous posts. I really do think the upgrade process of the OS went south on the laptop because it uses that UEFI firmware and not the old BIOS technology and the files copied differently or something.

I'm going to use RUFUS to remake the bootable USB and hopefully the install.wim file gets copied correctly, because DISM is reporting an error that points to that file missing or being only partially copied.

I initially used USB installer to make my first bootable copy for my desktop and thought it would be fine for the laptop as well. Turns out I was wrong, because even though the laptop is the same architecture (64 bit), it has a different type of BIOS firmware.

15. I got the laptop up and running with Version 1703 Build 15063.332 and the Windows Update feature is working perfectly fine as well. My desktop and laptop are now both successfully running the Creators Update. The laptop required having a different boot signature on the bootable USB and RUFUS was able to allow me to get the type of partition management I wanted as well.

I'm going to mark this thread as solved and hope that it helps people running the new type of BIOS firmware UEFI. It is peculiar that I thought this thread was about slow updates and it turns out that it was about finding the correct way to install an OS with a computer running the new type of BIOS firmware. Manufacturers still relate to the new UEFI as "BIOS" even though technically it is different than the old BIOS; but the manufacturers just didn't want to confuse new computer buyers into believing that they had a BIOS that was unable to be upgraded.

The files from a bootable USB containing the ISO of Windows 10 (Creators Update 1703) that is constructed wrong for UEFI will copy wrong to your active partition for windows and result in the install.wim file not being copied over correctly.........well in my particular case anyway, and caused files needed by windows update to be corrupted or partially missing.

Oh, and thanks to all that replied!

EyeInTheSky, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered.

1. Windows Update Lag Time Culprit Discovered. - Similar Threads - Update Lag Culprit

2. Time Lagging Behind

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Time Lagging Behind: My gaming pc's clock is laging behind. I have already tried replacing the cmos battery and that didn't help. What should I try next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-lagging-behind/b36d477f-d922-43c2-b812-2c3a907d580e
  3. Time Lagging Behind

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Time Lagging Behind: My gaming pc's clock is laging behind. I have already tried replacing the cmos battery and that didn't help. What should I try next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-lagging-behind/b36d477f-d922-43c2-b812-2c3a907d580e
  4. Time Lagging Behind

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Discovered Bugs in 1903 Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Discovered Bugs in 1903 Update: In setting, pressing the app and feautre tab doesnt work and crashes setting, also cant be fixed by DISM not SFC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/discovered-bugs-in-1903-update/e0a79a4d-1d8f-469c-aa80-1f77de1fe43e
  6. Uptick in BSODs and Instability - Random times, Looking for Culprit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Uptick in BSODs and Instability - Random times, Looking for Culprit: Hi there, Thanks for taking a look at the post. In recent days I have seen a definite uptick in the number of BSODs I've been receiving. The BSODs were fairly infrequent but my failure to find a cause has me quite frustrated and they seem to have increased - I have done...
  7. Google Feed updated and renamed to Discover

in Windows 10 News
    Google Feed updated and renamed to Discover: Last year we introduced the Google feed to surface relevant content to you, even when you’re not searching. It’s grown dramatically over the past year: more than 800 million people use the feed each month to stay up to date on their interests. Today—as a part of three...
  8. update to my bsod dilemma software is the culprit..

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    update to my bsod dilemma software is the culprit..: got tricked into again purchasing Malabytes Malware software ( they processed my credit card without asking ) .. it allowed me three licences for the software to monitor three PC's. .two Windows 10 ( one is laptop other is PC ) and my windows XP pro which I still run on a...
  9. Disk usage sporadically (For long periods of time) 100%, culprit:

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk usage sporadically (For long periods of time) 100%, culprit:: Almost always 'System'. How do I fix this? It's infuriating. PC specs available on my profile, kindly ask for any other info - I'll provide as quickly as I can. Thank you in advance 54537
  10. External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?): Hi all, I'm desperately trying to improve my boot times given I'm using SSD and when I used Win8.1 I used to have 8 seconds boot time. This is a clean Win10 installation and all drivers are up to date. I'm using an external eSATA HDD for backups. It seems that Windows...