Windows 10: Windows update made computer unusable

Discus and support Windows update made computer unusable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows did an update last night and now I can't use the computer. It will start with the splash screen of the computer name then say it is "diagnosing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KarenSaxena, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Windows update made computer unusable

Windows did an update last night and now I can't use the computer. It will start with the splash screen of the computer name then say it is "diagnosing your PC" then goes to a blue screen that says "Automatic repair" saying it did not start correctly and gives the option to "restart" where it will do the same thing, or "advanced options". From there I can "continue to Win 10" which doesn't work, "turn off my PC" which seems pointless since I have done this several times or "troubleshoot" which had several options of which I've tried all except for one that says it will delete all my files. Is there anyway to recover from this. I have backed up my files by removing the hard drive and using a SATA cable to copy the files to an external drive but I always worry that I may be missing something to back up. How can I recover Windows or reinstall it?

:)

KarenSaxena, Jul 2, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Window Update Undoing changes made to your computer issue

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, pleas reply with the details requested below:

• Do you receive any error message after Windows update?
    • May I know after which update do you see this message?
    • When you say, “this message appear about half and hour" does the computer boot to the desktop?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

If the computer doesn’t boot to the Desktop, I would suggest you to refer the suggestions provided by DaveM121 replied on April 7, 2019 in the thread

'Undoing changes made to your computer' in Windows 10

If you are able to boot the computer to the Desktop, I would suggest you to run the

Windows Update Troubleshooter
    and see if that helps.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to reset Windows Update components. Kindly refer the article by Sumit on

How to:Reset Windows update components in Windows

You may also want to refer the steps mentioned in the article
    Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost. Also, the last step in the article
    talks about Clean installation, please do not perform a clean installation of Windows.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Recent Windows 10 Update made Touchpad Unusable, PERMANENTLY!

Hi Jon,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below article and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article to prevent from the particular update installation and check if it helps.

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Method 2: I suggest you to run the hardware troubleshooter and check the issue status.

• Press “Windows key + X” and go to “control panel”.
    • Type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.

Method 3: I suggest you to update the latest Touchpad drivers from the manufactures website for Windows 10 drivers and check if it helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Windows update made computer unusable

Windows 10 made my computer unusable

Hello Charles,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better:

• What happens when your try to login?
    • Do you get any error message/ error code on your screen when your system freezes?

I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc.) except mouse and the keyboard and then restart the PC. If this fixes the issue, then add the devices one after the other until you
    discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then we can update driver software for that particular device.

If issue still persists try method 2,

Method 2:

Restart the PC in Safe mode with Networking and check if issue persist in safe mode. To do so, kindly follow the below given steps:

• On lock screen press and hold the shift key while clicking on
      Restart at the login Screen (Bottom right corner)
    • Click on the Troubleshoot.
    • In Advanced Options click on
      Startup Settings
    • Click Restart to restart the PC.
    • Choose Enable Safe mode with networking by clicking the related
      Functionkey.
    Also, refer the below link and follow the steps given in it to reboot PC in Safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

If it works properly in Safe mode, I suggest you to try clean boot and check which program is causing this issue.
    A Clean boot is troubleshooting option for Windows in which all the third party services are disabled and checked, if this services are causing the problem.

Follow the Microsoft help article to perform clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean Boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Note: The steps for Windows 8/8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows.

Ashish Sondhi, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows update made computer unusable

1. Windows update made computer unusable - Similar Threads - update made computer

2. New windows update made my computer completely unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows update made my computer completely unusable: Hey, The new windows update has made it so I can't get past my pin page on start up. I followed some instructions on this website to start up in safe mode and disable the pin with my myconfig.exe so I did that but it's still saying my pin isn't available. So I rebooted again...
  3. New windows update made my computer completely unusable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows update made my computer completely unusable: Hey, The new windows update has made it so I can't get past my pin page on start up. I followed some instructions on this website to start up in safe mode and disable the pin with my myconfig.exe so I did that but it's still saying my pin isn't available. So I rebooted again...
  4. October 2023 Windows Update made computer unusable and slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    October 2023 Windows Update made computer unusable and slow: October 11 2023 update to a Windows 10 on a laptop: Laptop is crippled.It is now so slow and so bad, I am not sure but I might have to go purchase a new laptop.This was lightening fast, yesterday, before the update.Latest update seems to be KB5001716 KB5031356...
  5. October 2023 Windows Update made computer unusable and slow

October 2023 Windows Update made computer unusable and slow: October 11 2023 update to a Windows 10 on a laptop: Laptop is crippled.It is now so slow and so bad, I am not sure but I might have to go purchase a new laptop.This was lightening fast, yesterday, before the update.Latest update seems to be KB5001716 KB5031356...
  6. Windows 10 202H update made computer unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 202H update made computer unusable: "Feature update 20H2 has left my computer almost unusable. It had left it in a state were it would not allow me to log on. I was able to uninstall that failed update to go back to the previous successful update but it now takes about 10 minutes for my taskbar to load and some...
  7. Windows 10 202H update made computer unusable

Windows 10 202H update made computer unusable: "Feature update 20H2 has left my computer almost unusable. It had left it in a state were it would not allow me to log on. I was able to uninstall that failed update to go back to the previous successful update but it now takes about 10 minutes for my taskbar to load and some...
  8. Windows 10 202H update made computer unusable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows update made PC unuseable

Windows update made PC unuseable: I have a HP Pavilion 500-319na PC which was 'born' September 2014, so not 5 years old yet. Its spec is not bad, i5-4460 cpu and nvidia graphics, it shipped with Windows 10 64-bit home version. I had problems with previous windows updates, but the most recent one has killed...
  10. KB4100347 Update Made Computer Unusable!

KB4100347 Update Made Computer Unusable!: My wife's work computer just did an update and now nothing works. It has slowed everything down and we can't pull anything up as it takes forever. It has also slowed our internet after it was installed. Please help! She has to use it for work!!!! Trying to lauch programs...