Windows 10: Windows update made unauthorised changes to my PC, now its unusable

Discus and support Windows update made unauthorised changes to my PC, now its unusable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Today windows update decided to update my windows 10 PC, and in the process overwrote the GRUB boot loader used for booting into Linux. The system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MrHouse, Mar 9, 2020.

1. MrHouse Win User

Windows update made unauthorised changes to my PC, now its unusable

Today windows update decided to update my windows 10 PC, and in the process overwrote the GRUB boot loader used for booting into Linux. The system boots directly to windows and no longer gives me the option of booting my primary OS.

Can you tell me:

1 Why does Microsoft think its okay to make unauthorised changes to my PC

2 How do I restore my bootloader, as I am currently unable to use my PC or access any of my documents.

Windows 10 updates making my system unusable is the main reason why I have had to move over to Linux as my primary operating system.

:)

MrHouse, Mar 9, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Mar 9, 2020
  3. Unauthorised changes blocked

receive notifications - Unauthorised changes blocked Controlled Folder Access blocked.

How can problem be rectified? (Windows Defender Security Centre - Virus & Threat Protection)

GlenGraetz, Mar 9, 2020
  4. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Mar 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows update made unauthorised changes to my PC, now its unusable - Similar Threads - update made unauthorised

2. New windows update made my computer completely unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows update made my computer completely unusable: Hey, The new windows update has made it so I can't get past my pin page on start up. I followed some instructions on this website to start up in safe mode and disable the pin with my myconfig.exe so I did that but it's still saying my pin isn't available. So I rebooted again...
  3. New windows update made my computer completely unusable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows update made my computer completely unusable: Hey, The new windows update has made it so I can't get past my pin page on start up. I followed some instructions on this website to start up in safe mode and disable the pin with my myconfig.exe so I did that but it's still saying my pin isn't available. So I rebooted again...
  4. Windows 10 202H update made computer unusable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 202H update made computer unusable: "Feature update 20H2 has left my computer almost unusable. It had left it in a state were it would not allow me to log on. I was able to uninstall that failed update to go back to the previous successful update but it now takes about 10 minutes for my taskbar to load and some...
  5. Unauthorised changes blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unauthorised changes blocked: Hi Guys. Does anyone know if this programme is ok to ALLOW on device? It wants to access my drives. kpm_service.exe Thanks Greg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unauthorised-changes-blocked/d25898a4-6f3a-45fe-94f3-f52b2ebca589
  6. Windows 10 update now made my pc be stuck on Undoing changes made to your computer.

Windows 10 update now made my pc be stuck on Undoing changes made to your computer.: So last night I started to install the new Windows 10 update. Thinking that it won't take long I just let it sit there and do its thing, after around 4 hours it was only at 21% and since it was getting late I decided to just force shutdown my laptop and go to sleep, now it is...
  7. Windows update made computer unusable

Windows update made computer unusable: Windows did an update last night and now I can't use the computer. It will start with the splash screen of the computer name then say it is "diagnosing your PC" then goes to a blue screen that says "Automatic repair" saying it did not start correctly and gives the option to...
  8. Updating to Windows 10 made my PC unusable; any fix?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updating to Windows 10 made my PC unusable; any fix?: PC Specs:Processor: Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40GHzRAM: 16.0 GBMotherboard: ASUSTeK P8Z77-VGraphics: AMD Radeon R9 390 Issue:I finally updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My mouse now lags so much, the PC is unusable for work or gaming (or really anything). I know it is not the...
  9. Unauthorised changes in password.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unauthorised changes in password.: Firstly; why do I have to sign-into my computer using my Microsoft password when I have used another password since I've owned my computer I'm running Windows 10 and, secondly, why has the task bar colour changed form black to white? When I try to reset the task-bar to...
  10. Windows update made PC unuseable

Windows update made PC unuseable: I have a HP Pavilion 500-319na PC which was 'born' September 2014, so not 5 years old yet. Its spec is not bad, i5-4460 cpu and nvidia graphics, it shipped with Windows 10 64-bit home version. I had problems with previous windows updates, but the most recent one has killed...