Windows 10: Windows update messed up system, cannot boot. How to fix bootloader?

Discus and support Windows update messed up system, cannot boot. How to fix bootloader? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Doing this for a friend. I did the initial install a month or so ago and it's been great. A day or so ago, he reports that Windows did an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Geekomatic, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Windows update messed up system, cannot boot. How to fix bootloader?

Hi all, Doing this for a friend. I did the initial install a month or so ago and it's been great. A day or so ago, he reports that Windows did an update overnight and ever since, it's stuck in the system repair boot loop. As well as this boot issue, system restore did show restore points and even let me check affected programs, but when I chose to proceed, it said to turn on system protection? After running sfc/chkdsk (no issues found), I thought to double-check things w/diskpart. Following Chris Titus' video, I set the proper drive letters to the Windows system drive and to System reserved. I then ran the following: bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force (boot code successfully updated). Next was: bcdboot c:\Windows /s G: /f ALL (G is system reserved). However, instead of seeing, "boot files successfully created", I get: "failure when attempting to copy boot files" (when copying to the 50mb system reserved). ---------------------------------------------------------- Having a few more minutes seeking info online, I came upon directions stating the location "C:\Boot" when using bcdedit to export BCD, which was successful. Then, attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s failed as this system shows the folder "Boot" within C:\Windows.... I need a guru! Anyone here who knows how to help me fix this & lead me back to the desktop? I'm hopeful it's only a bootloader issue as chkdsk/sfc came back okay. I believe this was Win 10/2004? Possibly 20H1, but more likely 2004.

:)

Geekomatic, Jul 29, 2021
  2. whatitdo6 Win User

How To Fix The Windows 10 Bootloader

THANK YOU. This solved it. I think this was mentioned earlier by you or someone else perhaps but I've messed around with it enough now where I vaguely understood what the commands were doing. I actually had to delete the partition, recreate it, and re write the BCD as you suggested in Step 3.

Shoutout to @topgundcp I'm sure that last method you suggested would have worked too, but now I understand how to do it manually, so I learned something.

Also, thank you @NavyLCDR for your help as well.

I have ONE last question, any SAFE way to remove the old ubuntu EFI entries that are present in my UEFI as boot options?

edit: Nvm, figured it out. For anyone else wanting to know how to remove old EFI boot entries, use "EasyUEFI" it is super easy. Took like 10 seconds after install. I DID have two identical looking EFI's for my samsung ssd, one of them, in the details, showed that it had no file path. I assumed that was my old broken one and deleted it, must have been correct bc my computer boots up perfect.

Thanks!!!

whatitdo6, Jul 29, 2021
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jul 29, 2021
  4. Windows update messed up system, cannot boot. How to fix bootloader?

Windows XP Error: Could not Boot after update

repairing windows will just fix any damaged files, id suggest taking off your over clocking settings the try booting in, maybe when you updated you also updated some censoring device which is now causing you a problem with your over clock settings.

jocksteeluk, Jul 29, 2021
Thema:

Windows update messed up system, cannot boot. How to fix bootloader?

1. Windows update messed up system, cannot boot. How to fix bootloader? - Similar Threads - update messed system

2. Windows 11 update messing up the boot commands?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update messing up the boot commands?: I've recently had issues with my laptop only 3 years old. I installed the latest windows 11 update a couple of weeks ago and since then, my computer is not booting up correctly. For example, I push the power button and the keyboard lights up but there is no display on the...
  3. Windows 11 update messing up the boot commands?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update messing up the boot commands?: I've recently had issues with my laptop only 3 years old. I installed the latest windows 11 update a couple of weeks ago and since then, my computer is not booting up correctly. For example, I push the power button and the keyboard lights up but there is no display on the...
  4. Windows Security is messed up How to fix this issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security is messed up How to fix this issue: Pls fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-is-messed-up-how-to-fix-this/2af24a34-e0c4-4aaa-a497-2b8ea31d8148
  5. Windows Security is messed up How to fix this issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security is messed up How to fix this issue: Look at the Screenshot And pls tell me how to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-is-messed-up-how-to-fix-this/3e4269f5-e7a2-48ec-9d25-2c65631f747c
  6. Windows Security is messed up How to fix this issue

Windows Security is messed up How to fix this issue: Look at the Screenshot And pls tell me how to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-is-messed-up-how-to-fix-this/3e4269f5-e7a2-48ec-9d25-2c65631f747c
  7. Messed up bootloader/BIOS/UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Messed up bootloader/BIOS/UEFI: Hello. I had Debian installed. Yesterday I installed Windows because I needed it for a program. Windows killed my GRUB. I reinstalled GRUB and accidentally removed the windows bootloader?. GRUB won't recognize that a bootloader is in /dev/nvme0n1p2. And If I boot and press...
  8. Windows update messed up my system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update messed up my system: Hello, an automatically coming update for some reason has failed and my system does not restart, and I have tried all kinds of trick to restore but it failed and does not restore. I have even used MediaCreationTool2004 and DiskReviverSetup_ppc and have not been able to...
  9. Fix Windows 10 Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix Windows 10 Bootloader: I installed Linux Ubuntu on external SSD and now i have problem with Windows 10 Bootloader. I always need to choose Boot Override and choose partition "Windows Boot Manager" in BIOS. How to fix it? [img] [img] 151685
  10. Windows 10 update 1803 messed up system

Windows 10 update 1803 messed up system: Can someone help with a restore back to previous version of Windows 10? Microsoft says unable to roll back system and must reinstall Windows and all programs. This 1803 build seems to have messed up dozens of systems from people who I have spoken to. Local tech charges...